Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around an idea of a cross bow but the only ones I have actually seen are ones in walmart....I think they have one for kids and one for adults..I say adults because it had a 450.00 price tag on it..to me that seems steep..thats the price of an AK or most any other gun I would deem necessary for survival..just curious about opinions on these walmart ones..because Rambow Im not!

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
Buy a crossbow from bass pro or cabelas because they have a better selection. Horton is a really good brand of crossbow.

·
Vigilant Citizen
8 Posts
I have to agree.I bought a crossbow from Bass Pro,(Horton Legend 175 w/red dot sight)It was 499.00 If i recall correctly. I killed a nice doe @ 22yds and the G5 Montec Broadhead went straight Through 1 Shoulder and through the other,and into the ground.I thought I missed it but wasnt sure so I waited about an hour,came down from the stand and found my arrow (bolt)covered in hair/blood.walked about 40 yds.to clearing,there she was,clean kill.It was first day of archery season,(either sex) and I was hooked on archery from then on.This year, I have killed no deer,I havent had much time to hunt with my wife being pregnant.I'll be back in full force next year! good luck with whatever you choose and remember:you have got to practice as much as possible.It is still archery after all lol.

·
Impimus Maximus
174 Posts
Have you considered building one? With a few woodworking tools and patience it can be done. Don't need any metal parts, but would recommend them for a higher quality crossbow.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Illegal to use here in NC for hunting unless you are Handy capped. If the crap ola hits the fan I'm sticking with fire power. I have seen bows versus guns in Nam. I like bang bang. Not trying to put a blanket on the party just don't see any sense in one (yes, I do hunt with a compound bow)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Illegal to use here in NC for hunting unless you are Handy capped. If the crap ola hits the fan I'm sticking with fire power. I have seen bows versus guns in Nam. I like bang bang. Not trying to put a blanket on the party just don't see any sense in one (yes, I do hunt with a compound bow)
There is one huge advantage of the xbow though :). Almost perfect silence... From what I hear the +300 FPS xbows can take a deer out pretty reliably out to around 45yrds if you hit in the right spot. A xbow / bow in the dead of the night in a forest with some night vision gear would just be down right scary.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
There is one huge advantage of the xbow though :). Almost perfect silence... From what I hear the +300 FPS xbows can take a deer out pretty reliably out to around 45yrds if you hit in the right spot. A xbow / bow in the dead of the night in a forest with some night vision gear would just be down right scary.

But what you speak of is illegal now and I can almost do that with my compound bow. Take an old Nam vets advise. for hunting use a compound for self survival use an automatic type firearm. cause you don't stand a chance other wise.

Reactions: stonewolf

·
Registered
590 Posts
No question a firearm is better in every way for self defense. I was just pointing out in certain situations the xbow can be useful. Hunting with a xbow is not illegal in every state http://www.huntersfriend.com/crossbows/crossbow-state-regulations.htm, of course if you got the skills and technique down I would go with a compound bow. (the advantages of the xbow are ease of use and trigger, which would be good for those with no prior archery skills).

·
Registered
249 Posts
No question a firearm is better in every way for self defense. I was just pointing out in certain situations the xbow can be useful. Hunting with a xbow is not illegal in every state http://www.huntersfriend.com/crossbows/crossbow-state-regulations.htm, of course if you got the skills and technique down I would go with a compound bow. (the advantages of the xbow are ease of use and trigger, which would be good for those with no prior archery skills).
i find it hard to use a compound bow with heavy clothing and gloves on, when its cold, its just not easy for me to hit anything as i cant release it proper, and sometimes cord hits my clothing and throws off my shot. now i may just have crappy archery skills, but i would assume a crossbow would be a bit more forgiving in such conditions. then again, a firearm is more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wicks trading post has them. always check out the sponsered vendors.

http://www.crankyfarmer.com/netcrossbow.html

the 180lb can be had for 100 us, so you can probably import that for cheap into the uk, costing you maybe 80?
Has anyone ordered/used any of these on crankyfarmer? Great pricing compared to those in Cabela's catalog...just hate to buy junk, better things to blow $100 on...like ammo!:cool:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Has anyone ordered/used any of these on crankyfarmer? Great pricing compared to those in Cabela's catalog...just hate to buy junk, better things to blow $100 on...like ammo!:cool:
180lb draw is nice... that should give you over 300fps. However I don't know the manufacturer of the xbow. Most likely its a chinese knock off of one of the brands. I would stick with one of the good brands, a crossbow design is important and it has moving parts! You don't want something to malfunction on you while firing. As for good brands I would go with excalibur or horton, barnett is ok as well.

You can get some decent hortons for $160-200 here is a good entry level horton http://www.atafa.com/sports/products/Tacoma_wQuiver-211312.html

As for excalibur its more pricey but worth it; you can get a starter excalibur vixen for $315-350. http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=EXCALIBUR&ID=3564554&ref=GB

The great thing about xbows is the resale value holds very nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts