Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wasn't Me...
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about using a crossband radio such as the Kenwood TM-v71a and possibly taking the VHF side and using a 10m transverter on it. Then effectively you could go from 430-460 MHz to 28 MHz (and possibly lower into CB band).

I would think this shouldn't be hard.

·
An Awesome Dude
4,669 Posts
Ya 11m has really quieted down......... I dont think there would be a problem on 2m if using an 11m freq as cross..........

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,094 Posts
Check into some of the repeater networks out there. They use multi band radios on the recieving/transmitting end to do just what you're talking about.

I worked the Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race communications up in Angel Creek Alaska about 50 miles outside of Fairbanks, AK. We had 2 meter handhelds when we were out by the teams of sled dogs and used them to cross band into a 70cm mobile rig that had a much larger antenna and that made the trip into Fairbanks to the race headquarters so we could give reports on what racer came in, how many dogs they had, and how many they had in the basket for almost instantaneous updates.. It worked great until one of the old timers turned off the radio we were calling into Fairbanks because he thought it wasn't being used.. Not many phones out that way so we pointed our main antenna to some mountain top sites that have repeaters located on them and were able to fix the issue until someone else turned our radio off at the race headquarters.

Good times.

I actually watched my Elmer that went out there the first year I worked that site and set up a dual band but, he had to modify it so it would work cross band repeat.. He did it in a wooden cabin at -35f and it worked like a charm. Great guy. I called him a year or so ago and talked to him. He'll always be my mentor but sadly, he got out of the ham radio because of the younger guys that thought they knew everything.

I received my 13wpm code certification with him sending by hand. Man he was great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts