Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to do this really well? All I want to learn to do is make granny squares to start...I just can't get it. Any sites, tips or suggestions?

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
I crochet really well, but I am a LOUSY teacher. Granny squares are pretty easy once you know how.

You crochet five single crochets, then join those stitches into a circle.

Once you've made them into a circle, you make 3 triple crochet stitches into that circle, then make a single crochet. This is called a Cluster. Do this 4 times and join the last single crochet into the first stitch of your first cluster of triple crochet stitches. Am I making any sense? This is your first row of your granny square.

Next, take your mini-granny square that you have just made and turn it around so that you are looking on the back side of the work that you have just completed. In that first single crochet that you did between clusters you will make 2 clusters of triple crochets. This is really important. Don't forget to single crochet between each cluster. Do that with each of the four holes you see. When you have done that, join the last stitch you made to the first stitch in your first cluster. You have now completed your second row.

Again, turn your granny square around so that you are now looking at the back of the row that you have just completed. Your third row will be only 1 cluster in that single crochet. After you have done that, you will notice that you have come to a corner. Do 2 clusters for that corner, then only one cluster for a non-corner single crochet. If you have done this correctly, you will have completed your third row with 4 single clusters and 4 double clusters. All of the double clusters must be on the corners only.

Keep repeating this pattern until you have achieved the size that you want. Some people like to make a blanket with only one huge granny square, some like to make multiple small ones and crochet them together. It's all individual choice.

Have I confused the heck out of you yet? I told you I was a lousy teacher, LOL! If someone can explain this better, PLEASE do so! Friends don't let friends crochet without proper instruction. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's how I do it:

Chain 5 and join with a slip stitch to make a ring
Now do 3 double crochet in the ring
Do 3 chain stitches
3 more dc (double crochet) and 3 more chain stitches.

Do this until you have four sets of 3 dc's and your chain stitches form the four corners of the granny square. Join your last 3 chains to the first set of dc's using a slip stitch. This is your first round. Now you have a small granny square.

to add another row:
after you joined the first round just chain three, then dc 3 times into the corner space, chain three and dc 3 more times in that same corner space again. This is how you increase the size of the square, at the corners.

You can make the square as small or large as you want.

My suggestion is to get a book from the library that has simple illustrations. Don't worry, crochet is really easy and fun once you get the hang of it.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
When I was a kid I was taught crocheting. Not anything really extreme. But I made granny squares!!!

You can see on youtube granny squares made, in case seeing it helps after you read stuff.

The coolest I ever crocheted was i ripped up a lotta fabric that was gonna get tossed, mostly old colored sheets. Ripping like back and forth so 1 sheet became 1 long strip (Not too narrow). Then crocheted that with a big needle into a plain round thing. Same way you make a round panholder,and it was almost as fast too! Came out a really nice rug!

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I have all this wool and I thought I could do hats, throws and sweaters just sewing the squares together. Great tip about youtube didnt even think of that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts