Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Interesting . How does that double bit axe work out ?
It's not really a double-bit head; it has a modified "spike" on the poll end. While most consider it more weapon than tool, that type of spike can be handy in breaking up dirt or cutting through roots. In more urban settings, it's a handy pry-tool that can also puncture and tear through sheet metal, breach brick, drywall, or windows (and rake the glass shards from around the frame), etc.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Early tomahawks tend to fall into two distinct patterns. Those given by the French to their Native American allies generally follow the lines of the 'throwing' hawks used by the 5 - 6th century Franks, the 'fransica' with an upswept front edge, flat poll and a backswept handle. Those given by the British more typically follow the lines of naval 'boarding axe' patterns used by several European navies, often including a spike or chisel on the back part of the weapon and what looks to be a notch on the underside of the main blade.
The spike/chisel aided in boarding an 'enemy' ship and was sometimes used to dig hot 'shot', intended to set a vessel on fire, from the ship's timbers. The notch aided in gathering ropes, rigging and nets to be severed.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The one on the left has seen thousands of throws and the one on the right has hardly been used. I did manage to break the one buckle on the sheath on the right but that is because I was using it as a tie down so it’s no fault of the build quality. Normally I prefer one without a spike but this spike is super useful and doesn’t hinder its splitting ability. I’ve used it to help move around large pieces of wood and roll over large logs. It’s been great for digging trenches and breaking up kindling. The SK5 steel has had great edge retention after I sharpened it. In short it is hard to believe you can get all of this in one tool for $40. I just ordered one for my Father In Law for Father’s Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts