Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have become obsessed with throwing things during this quarantine. I’ve been eyeing these things for some time now but they’ve consistently been a little pricey for my blood. Well I just saw that Smokey Mountain Knife works has them on sale for $40 and at that price they are a steel. I went ahead and ordered 2. They should go nicely with our other throwers.

https://www.smkw.com/crkt-rune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good price I suppose. But I don't care for a spike.
I much prefer the traditional, such as this..I

http://www.hbforge.com/throwing-tomahawk/shawnee-tomahawk

I also like the concept of removable (and easily replaced) handle.

A bit pricier.

But whatever floats your boat!

I’ve never understood the traditional tomahawk. Their removable heads and narrow cutting edge has always made me nervous.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,546 Posts
Bought one when they first came out. There wasn't a single circumstance where I wouldn't choose another tool over it, so I sold it on ebay. It would be a lot more capable if the handle were 4" longer. I also saw them for $40 at smkw and bought another one just because it's a cool looking RMJ design and my daughter collects knives, swords, axes, etc... That is a good price compared to what they used to cost.

Some of cold steel's tomahawks are good throwers. There are much better purpose built throwers, but they're costly for something you're going to inevitably beat up or break. We have a couple beater CS frontier hawks for throwing. Spray painted bright orange to make them easier to find when they bounce off a tree. I did refit the haft on those so they don't come off easily.

I have a CS pipe hawk that almost keeps up with my small forest axe at a fraction of the price. I had to re-profile the bit and refit the handle to get it that way.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,233 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny coincidence, I recently bought the LAPG hatchet for $15. https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-axe02-hand-camp-axe-with-anti-slip-grip.html

And I was eyeballing this Estwing double bladed ax to take out and practice some throwing. About $40.

https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Doub...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=S3H23BB16YGGVW0DNM43&th=1

A SOG $35 option. https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Tactical...ords=crkt+ax&qid=1587594944&s=hi&sr=1-15&th=1

I have a SOG fasthawk, a Cold Steel Trench Hawk, and a SCHAXE10. My wife throws the SCHAXE well but I find the CS throws the best and the SOG is a close second. Also have a CS Special Forces shovel that we throw. I’m excited about these though because my intuition tells me that they will throw as well as the SOG considering they are the same size but their added weight, full tang, and much superior steel will make them a better all around tool.

·
Over and Out
3,022 Posts
Awesome. Same here.. (fans of 'throwin hawks n' hatchets'... :thumb:

:cool: ..Couldn't upload a vid clip, so a boring stlll will have to suffice, but.. Funnn..

..Also, we got a few of Cold Steels 'Torpedos', aka 'throwing spikes'...

..Takes a bit of time to learn the right 'balance' (vs an axe / hawk / blade) but Man do they Hit Hard, and Penetrate!.. 'Specially fun on scrap telepone poles / railroad ties... But if 'super-portly mall-cop' can learn 'em, you can, Too! ;)

jd

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Same here.. (fans of 'throwin hawks n' hatchets'... :thumb:

:cool: ..Couldn't upload a vid clip, so a boring stlll will have to suffice, but.. Funnn..

..Also, we got a few of Cold Steels 'Torpedos', aka 'throwing spikes'...

..Takes a bit of time to learn the right 'balance' (vs an axe / hawk / blade) but Man do they Hit Hard, and Penetrate!.. 'Specially fun on scrap telepone poles / railroad ties... But if 'super-portly mall-cop' can learn 'em, you can, Too! ;)

jd

It’s funny you posted that video. I remember getting the cold steel catalogs when I was a kid and seeing his stuff. I’ve been looking at those spikes but like throwing stars they just don’t appeal to me. I don’t even like the throwing knives. I like tomahawks and shovels and what not because they all serve another purpose.

·
Over and Out
3,022 Posts
...been looking at those spikes but...tomahawks and shovels ...all serve another purpose...
Agreed, and there's little more-satisfying than the unique 'thunk' a nice heavy-head makes when sunk properly.. :thumb: That said, the 'Torpedo' does also make one hella 'plumb bob'.. ;)

..'Course, there are 'alt ideas', for it, also.. (PS - Love this guys channel, in general.. His Laugh should be a 'meme'.. :D:

..Lol..

jd

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed, and there's little more-satisfying than the unique 'thunk' a nice heavy-head makes when sunk properly.. :thumb: That said, the 'Torpedo' does also make one hella 'plumb bob'.. ;)

..'Course, there are 'alt ideas', for it, also.. (PS - Love this guys channel, in general.. His Laugh should be a 'meme'.. :D:

..Lol..

jd

Oh yeah I’m a huge fan of his. The instant legolas is a game changer for anyone who can’t own a gun.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I’ve never understood the traditional tomahawk. Their removable heads and narrow cutting edge has always made me nervous.
Originally, probably ease of manufacturing and using less material. Hawks are not well understood; they certainly are not an axe or even a hatchet. They were never meant to split wood or even do much chopping. Their biggest benefit is weight and transportability. The do help extend one's reach to do light chopping, like removing limbs, cutting saplings, etc. The leverage and narrow edge gives it better chopping ability than a knife. The head can be removed for other tasks and unlike traditional, wedged axe handles, tomahawk handles are much easier to improvise in the field.

Of course there is always the weapon aspect...it has a great reputation in that category:D:

ROCK6

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered 2 of these and man do I love them. One is like new and has hardly been used. It still has the factory edge or lack there of. The other I’ve sharpened up and have thrown several thousand times as well as using it for firewood prep and other various chopping and cutting tasks. Other than finish wear there is no damage at all to them. I own plenty of other hawks and hatchets but these are by far the most practical and rugged of the bunch.

I’ve gotten to the point where sticking it from just about any range is second nature. Today I put a 4 inch x 4inch block of wood on the ground and practiced hitting it from any distance within 2 rotations or about 25feet. Not that I was sticking it into the wood but I was able to hit the wood with it about 9times out of 10. Definitely makes me want to try small game hunting with it. It would be pretty cool to thud a rabbit or squirrel with it.

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
I've had a Cold Steel Trail Hawk for several years now, and it's a pretty handy little tool.
I've used it for light chopping, it's pretty good for making feather sticks.
The weapon aspect is pretty apparent, I'd be concerned meeting up with someone aggressive armed with one.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had a Cold Steel Trail Hawk for several years now, and it's a pretty handy little tool.
I've used it for light chopping, it's pretty good for making feather sticks.
The weapon aspect is pretty apparent, I'd be concerned meeting up with someone aggressive armed with one.

Yeah I have one of those as well. They’re handy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts