Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this knife (from a solely self-defense perspective)?

I see that a new version is coming out in black with a carbide window-breaker, but they only sell the Desert version here.

Any opinions?

('')('')

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Tantos suck. They are a bitch to sharpen, and the lack of a belly makes them unusable for cutting. Tantos are designed to pierce light armor, and look exotic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And to make matters worse it's hollow ground.

Should be good for SD though. Flicks open fast. Big blade.

I already oredered one from Amazon so I'm just getting opinions now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frankly, I see nothing wrong with it.

Relatively inexpensive, fast opening.

If I wanted a survival knife I would go fixed blade.

Plus the tanto looks cool but that's beside the point.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Boberama, I have the M16-04 - using it as my SD/EDC (also carry Victorinox Farmer).
Easy to open/close one handed. Opens quickly. Solid lockup. And it doesn't cost an arm & leg. No complaints at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a a few M16 CRKT tantos and their KISS series. I use them as a beater/EDC knives because they are cheap and I don't wanna damage my Benchmades, three sister forge and other expensive knives I have. However pretty good quality despite being made in Taiwan.

In terms of self defense, any blade that can cut will do the job. So yes the CRKT m16-14d will work just fine in a self defense encounter. If anyone tells you different, ask them if they would like to test it with the knife in your hand.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
It's my EDC knife, I was given it a number of years go when they came out and i think its a good knife. It s little big a little heavy, after a little bit is a little hard to close from a fully open position. I have yet to get in a knife fight with anyone so I cant really answer your question, however I will say this; as an EDC knife I have owned both the M16 and M21 as well, and if I had the opportunity to trade this big girl in for a new M21, I would take it in a heart beat.

I'm not a tanto guy either

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I dont know why people bash Tanto. I love my m16-13sf that I edc, or the m16-10kz that I did EDC for a while. I work in a restaurant and I used mine dam near everyday.

Good knives. I love CRKT.

T

1 - 13 of 13 Posts