Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is one thing that really ****es me off, that has to be criticism from arm chair survivalist. These are the people that sit in their computer chairs, post comments on videos, post on forums, and never actually "do" anything. They tell you how your doing everything wrong, but offer no proof that they have actually done anything,,, but talk.

Its like they sit there and wait for someone to make a mistake, or dont fully describe everything,,, or if you leave one little detail out, their quick to point it out,,,,,.

A few days ago I posted a video on youtube about storing MREs - One guy posted a comment - "you should never store MREs in your house. The temperature does not stay cold enough and they will spoil faster."

Your not supposed to store MREs in your house,,,,, that comment is so far out there, I dont even know what to think about it. I posted a reply asking "where are you supposed to store the MREs then?" I have yet to see a reply to my question. I figured he would say something like - "rent a climate controlled storage area and turn the temperature down." Then I was going to come back with a reply with something about having to pay for the storage area.

On my gardening video, which shows the first harvest of 2010,

One guy by the name of mrmonkeyman50 posted a comment that said "a family needs at least 5 acres to be able to grow enough food."

I dont guess mrmonkeyman50 has ever planted a garden? I dont know for sure, but I'am guessing he has has never read any books on square foot gardening? Does he even know which plants will give maximum production? Does he even have any seeds stocked up? Has the guy ever even got is hands dirty?

Other comments included - "that is not enough food to live off of",,,, "it took 6 weeks to grow 1 pot of peas",,,,. I dont guess they know that snap beans are a high producing plant? Their comments show a total ignorance of the topics at hand.

I dont even know what to think about those types of comments. Its like their looking at one little small part of a big picture, criticizing that that part, and ignoring the rest of the picture.

Its like people criticize what I'am/your doing, but those same people that criticize offer nothing in return. Their just sitting there, in their computer chair, telling how your doing everything wrong, but they themselves have nothing to show.

Some of the comments were along the lines - "that is no enough food, your going to be in trouble in a real disaster happens." I dont guess they say the video of the MREs,,,, or anything else.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
kev... they are always going to be there.... but thankfully there are enough actual people that think survivalism and all aspects to offset the dummies out there... and that person is never going to respond to you...

5 acres of a garden.... good lord, how big is his family???

My little garden spot is something like 25 feet by 20 feet and it produces more than we have been able to use up... we can alot of it, but we still end up donating some of it to the homeless shelter downtown...

snap beans a you said gerow very quick and even my sweet peas are already taking off... having some problems with the tomatoes but I think it is because it has been rather cool .... they just seem to be taking off slower...

And i would like to know from the guy... where do I store my MRE's and food items and such if not in my home... we have spread them around so to speak and that is just in case one area went under, we still have some back up... but I would actually like to know what he does... (lol)

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Kev.....these types of people offer "more excuses and NO solutions" to everything in their lives. Just because they heard from someone that knows someones whos uncles brothers sisters cousin was in the National Guard or something ridiculous like that.

IMHO theyre Oxygen theives in life and bandwidth theives here.:D:

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
LMAO ... sort of boggles the mind does it not? :) I've seen some strange comments about prepping over the years too, but your examples are classic Kev.

Reactions: Teslin

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Kev just remember their are several types of people.
Teachers
Students/learners
Those that just cause trouble or want to draw attention to them selfs

Thanks for this site and all the hard work you do to keep it up and running and a friendly site.

Nitefly22LR learner

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to just ignore these people. I read far more than I post because they anger me too. If the world has so many experts why don't we live in Utopia? Everyone has and is entitled to an opinion. But we all know about opinions. (LoL so much for my comments)

With that. Have a nice day if you so choose.

Wygoat

·
Getting Ready
115 Posts
In this day and age it seems to me like there is this growing trend of "I have access to the internet, therefore I know just as much on any topic as anybody else."
I'm not sure if it is just a false sense of comfort that they get from it, or just a total lack of thought put into what they are saying that causes people to respond to certain topics like they do.

At my work we get people in who "claim" they used to be meat cutters, butchers, slaughter house workers, and are completely insulted at the idea of us responding to a question THEY asked. It's like they are testing our knowledge, when really we are just trying to help them out. If they don't like the response given they are always quick to point out their "past" wealth of knowledge on the subject. It's annoying but in the end what can you do...:confused:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Kev, I see the real problem not so much the general irritation of dealing with these people, but the fact that some of them are very convincing and adament in their approach. Newcommers look at the # of posts on their heading and think those idiots know what they are talking about.

Sometimes the idiots even convince themselves they know what they are talking about.

People come here and ask questions and get 50 different answers and 49 of them are bogus. It is not only confusing, it is often dangerous.

You read a post and the first thought is "I hope they don't try that!" Then when you offer the correct answer you get flamed, Often by two or three people supporting the origional fool.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Well, afa storing disaster supplies, if the disaster is a tornado that completely wipes out your house and everything in it, it makes sense to store the disaster supplies somewhere else, like in a container in the ground.............tornadoes are everywhere in Texas, OK, MS, MO, LA,Tn, IN, Oh, Ky, Md, etc

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2002/2002-04-28-storms.htm

A twister caused serious damage to at least a 10-mile stretch of this town of about 6,500 — even leveling part of a school.......The house is gone," Thomas said of the Albeys' home. "It's moved probably 80 yards down and into a ravine. They were in the house and trapped in the rubble.",,,,,,,,In Missouri, a tornado packing wind of up to 180 mph and roughly two football fields wide plowed through the small town of Marble Hill, hurling a 12-year-old boy 50 yards to his death. At least 16 people were injured and several homes were destroyed.

"It took several houses completely away. Blown to sticks — nothing left but the subfloor," Marble Hill Police Sgt. Dennis Willis said....In Tennessee, a tornado cut a 10-mile path through the Murfreesboro area, about 30 miles southeast of Nashville, injuring 18 people and damaging 62 homes and buildings. Wind reached 140 mph.....

East Texas to Atlanta is looking at tornadoes today........

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/latest-forecast-for-severe-weather-365

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Sometimes people think they impress with their comments, and show a level of intelligence that none of us old dummies are capable of having.

Many times common sense provides more insight than that obtained from a book, especially if one such as Prepping For Dummies is used.

Instead of being impressed with them, they would probably be beet red if they knew all the laughter they produced.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts