Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
27,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know if anyone has thought of this but why not buy a old bank and turn into a survival retreat.

A friend of mine just purchased a old bank and it has a huge safe you walk into and could even turn into a good size bedroom if you wanted to all behind a 2 and half foot stainless steel door. The one that my buddy purchased has outside air also.

All the safety deposit boxes are like very heavy cabinets and can be removed in sections.

Short of someone having a tank or 50 pounds of C-4 they are not going to get in very easy.

There are downs to this and some up sides depending on where the bank is.

Here are some pictures of the wife in the safe when our buddy gave us a tour of it.

Attachments

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
I'm sure it can be fortified into a pretty stout residence..

Assuming its an older building with the exterior windows up high, and walls are nice and thick, all he'd have to do is replace the front doors or fill in that section with wall...

Could be a great place to bug in

·
Awakened
181 Posts
The only downside I could see is that usually banks are located in the middle of a town. But being as they are built pretty solid (at least for the safe/vault) portion of it if not the rest of the building if it is older, I say why not.

I think it would be less modification then a regular building to reenforce. Gives me some ideas myself actually...

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
What happens when somebody just takes up residence and waits for the vault to open?

It is a pretty cool idea, though. Seems like it would be pretty visible..

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nice idea but I suspect most banks will sell off the vault door, if only for scrap value.

What happens when somebody just takes up residence and waits for the vault to open?

I doubt anyone would leave the "bank" sign up.

·
Banned
27,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

For this to even work a person would have to have a tunnel out some place.

Wes

·
Banned
27,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice idea but I suspect most banks will sell off the vault door, if only for scrap value.

I doubt anyone would leave the "bank" sign up.
Really they don't, the past owners even left behind the die packs and the transponder packs when sold the place.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Those vault doors are very expensive. The bank will sell the building WITH the vault, but if the new owner does not want it, the vault door can be sold and removed. The vault itself can be sold, if it is not built into the building, such as poured concrete walls. Some vaults are modular, and they can be sold and relocated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is a bank at the north end of my town that is still for sale. It has a small vault in it. I was going to buy the bank (mainly for the vault) and rent out the rest to a couple of businesses. I thought a Starbucks in the front would be great. The two glass offices would be good for a computer company to set up pay-as-you-go rental computers like FedEx and Kinko's locations have. The rear conference room would be a storeroom for a Game Stop, and the games would be distributed either over the front counter or via the drive through window.

I went another route instead, and I am much happier. The bank is still not sold.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
When I worked for ACLD -- they rented an old EAB bank for a day treatment center -- in the basement - a 20' X 20' vault -- the locking mechanisms were removed - we stored extra desks and chairs in it -- just for fun - my boss pushed the 2 ton ( ? ) door closed with one finger and duct taped it closed -- very secure --

1 - 16 of 16 Posts