Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd as it may sound, I went to several stores over the past two days and cannot find any crayfish traps.... lot of smaller minnow traps... no crayfish. So, I have the hardware cloth to make one and have been surfing the net for plans. Any suggestions before I start snipping?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Yes!

Fasten the cover of a Box fan to the bottom of a tomato cage. wrap the base in an inch or two of chicken wire.

Tie chicken leg so it dangles--barely touching the bottom.

Deploy with broomstick.

(the chcicken wire keeps them from scooting off when you retrieve it)

Enjoy the boil!

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I use a 1 liter bottle with bread in in. Sink it, go run errands or whatever. Go back next day and retrieve bottles. Full of crayfish. I use them to bait trotlines, catfish love them.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a 1 liter bottle with bread in in. Sink it, go run errands or whatever. Go back next day and retrieve bottles. Full of crayfish. I use them to bait trotlines, catfish love them.
Isn't the entrance too small? That no more than a half inch across.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
I was raised in Louisiana, and we always used crawfish nets with a piece of salt pork tied to the middle of the net. Of course we also had ponds where we raised crawfish so.... it was kind of easy to catch them....

Here's a link to a place that sells them, they are not hard to make on your own though...
http://www.memphisnet.net/product/5059/nets_crawfish

And here's a place that sells metal "crayfish" traps...
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page2181.html

They also sell "crayfish" nets....
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1931.html

And here's a link to the best thing that every happend to a crawfish....
http://shop.zatarains.com/zatarains®-concentrated-shrimp-crab-boil-p-596.html?=

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Use a crab dilly

As kids we always just used a piece of string and a bait tied to it, and sit and wait. Presumably you want a trap you can set and leave to catch more than one cray at a time?

I would use a witches hat crab dilly. Very easy to make, you can even buy the small tubes of net at fishing stores. Take one with you (disassembled) in the BOB, just a small tube of nylon netting.

Tie one end with twine and a float, make a willow, vine or wire loop for bottom. Hang bait from the apex or tie a twine/wire across diameter of the loop and bait the middle (see pic). Put a float on top if water is deeper than net.

crabdilly.jpg

Easiest ever trap and good for more than just crays.
HTH, Cheers Herne

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As kids we always just used a piece of string and a bait tied to it, and sit and wait. Presumably you want a trap you can set and leave to catch more than one cray at a time?

I would use a witches hat crab dilly. Very easy to make, you can even buy the small tubes of net at fishing stores. Take one with you (disassembled) in the BOB, just a small tube of nylon netting.

Tie one end with twine and a float, make a willow, vine or wire loop for bottom. Hang bait from the apex or tie a twine/wire across diameter of the loop and bait the middle (see pic). Put a float on top if water is deeper than net.

View attachment 8540

Easiest ever trap and good for more than just crays.
HTH, Cheers Herne
No having seen the design, how does it work? Where does the crayfish enter?

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
No having seen the design, how does it work? Where does the crayfish enter?
The cray crawls onto / into the conical net, from any angle, and is trapped in the net by it's own body and legs tangling.

The bait meat is tied in the middle of the cord across the diameter of the circle. The cone of net tends to sag a bit under the water, but a float or tying the top above the water-line keeps it up. So, you have a cone of net suspended under the water, with a succulent bait in the middle of the bottom. NB: the bottom of the cone sits on the bottom of the pool of water.

The cray / crab crawls onto the net to get at the bait. The more it tries to get to the middle the more entangled it becomes. If it gets thru it is still trapped.

This site has a blurb and some more pix. I must admit I haven't tried it yet with crays, but have caught lots of crab with it. Can't see why it wouldn't work fine.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing_details.php?recordid=284
HTH

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I'm going to point something out here. If you use more than one type of metal it will become a weak current producer keeping the prey away from it instead of in it. Hardware cloth is fine just use all hardware cloth and don't add other metal as a frame and if other metal is added as pieces like doors etc make sure to use hose or tubing between those metals.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to point something out here. If you use more than one type of metal it will become a weak current producer keeping the prey away from it instead of in it. Hardware cloth is fine just use all hardware cloth and don't add other metal as a frame and if other metal is added as pieces like doors etc make sure to use hose or tubing between those metals.
Current? Water or electrical?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same trick as ridgeoutlaw's with the 1 liter....but I'll cut the top off the bottle, flip it around so the opening points in, sink it with rocks and bait. The opening flipped makes it harder for them to escape.

This thread is making me hungry....

·
Registered
7 Posts
All crawfish are that small at some point in their life. I presume he's using them for bait if he's only using a 1 liter bottle. the size is just fine

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is an older thread i know, but im gonna revive it to ask how do you take care of the crawfish after they are caught? i mean do you throw them alive into boiling water or is there a process before that? me and my kids just do the cpr thing with them catch photgraph and release since i dont know the proper way to prepare them for eating and we have had as many as 50 in a good day of just playing along a river in the summer? again sorry for reviving an old post but i am interested

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Simply keep them in clean water for 24 hours to purge and go for the gusto. Or not, different taste, but all good.....

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Forgot to mention in the earlier posts, I keep a pair of pantyhose in my BOB for those formal occasions around the campfire (lol j/k) and catching fresh water crays. Put a bit of meat or bread in the foot and dangle in the water. Their claws and spiky bits get tangled.

Cheers Herne

·
Traveler
229 Posts
Why go out and spend money on crayfish - or crawdads as I always referred to them as - traps when you have two of the best traps ever invented on each end of your arms, which is your hands.

You can used the standard minnow traps to catch crayfish also. They work well, or have so in the past for me when attempting to catch creek minnows.

Your hands can catch most anything in water, especially turtles, catfish and crayfish.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can used the standard minnow traps to catch crayfish also. They work well, or have so in the past for me when attempting to catch creek minnows.
It seems to me minnow traps are too small to catch crayfish (the opening.)

·
Traveler
229 Posts
It seems to me minnow traps are too small to catch crayfish (the opening.)

Don't know if we are talking of the same type traps. Here is the ones I use most of the time: http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/Category/traps/images/G40_1.jpg

Let me say it depends on the size of the crayfish also. I assume the rather large ones cannot enter into the trap pictured above, but I have caught a large number of them in the traps when seeking creek minnows.

Most of the time we use a net seine like these guys are using: http://www.nanfa.org/NANFAregions/al/cahaba/ElectroSeine3.jpg except ours is not electric charged. They work very well for crayfish but you need at least two people with three being the best. With three people, you can let one person go up stream and work his way back towards the two using the seine as they move up stream.

However, sometimes, we just hit shallow waters that contains a lot of creek rock and cover, using our hands to load up on crayfish.

If you are strickly after crayfish, you may be able to enlarge the opening of the trap I posted above for crayfish. I would think you could clip the funnel in four different spots and bend the cone back some to make it larger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts