Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Ooooh yea, they sure are.

As kids, we never had a trap so we'd find the bushiest plant we could, lop off a good sized branch and then tie meat scraps such as bacon rind and meat bones to it.
Then we'd lower it into a pool with a rope and give it a few hours.
When we pulled it in, we'd quickly grab the crawlies that were clinging on it and stick them in a bucket ready for dinner.

Mmmmm hmmmm! :D:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Ooooh yea, they sure are.

As kids, we never had a trap so we'd find the bushiest plant we could, lop off a good sized branch and then tie meat scraps such as bacon rind and meat bones to it.
Then we'd lower it into a pool with a rope and give it a few hours.
When we pulled it in, we'd quickly grab the crawlies that were clinging on it and stick them in a bucket ready for dinner.

Mmmmm hmmmm! :D:
We just used the digity thingies at the end of our arms..... but I can see where a trap is better.

On a related (loosely) note. The older lady that is a cashier at Turners Outdoorsman in Fountain Valley Ca. had a crawdad for a pet for a long time. She rescued it from the bait tank. Says it ate Cheetos.

·
Ego Dominus Vos
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're in AZ, don't release any crawfish you got for bait, keep them or kill them, but don't release 'em.
Per AZGFD they are NOT native to Arizona, and it is ILLEGAL to transport them LIVE from the water source where captured except in a few counties in the southern portion of the state, I forget which ones.

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
we go to a bridge and lower a small hook with a piece of worm on it into the river and the craws grab it. Then we pull them up fast and throw them in a bucket. It's fun and makes for a good snack!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Any good HillBilly will tell ya that you will never starve as long as theirs a ditch with water in it! My kids freaked out the first time they pulled up a Crawfish but after some bacon and a old pole and a bucket they had a good laugh catchin them all day. Now its a summer tradition.
For some good traps try www.terrybullard.com I got 3 of them a few years ago and let me tell ya they fish!!! Ive pulled them out of the smallest of ponds with craw's falling out of it cause the trap was so full.
If the SHTF a big ole crawfish meal would be a quite welcome change I figure.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I'm interested in raising crawdads for food. The fact is that I love to eat them. Freshwater lobsters!

So, I've been looking around for ways to raise them on my own land. If you were going to raise them for food, how would you set it up?

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,533 Posts
Growing up in Louisiana, I did a lot of crawfishing. We just used a net and a couple of wire coat hangers. Put some bacon in the middle of the net, put it in the pound, creek, whatever... wait awhile, pull up the net full of crawfish... repeat till you had enough.

I found a website that sells the same kind of nets we used, but they are easy enough to make for yourself if you have a couple of wire coat hangers and some net.

take a look at the nets at the top of the page on this website... http://www.louisianasportnets.com/crawfish.htm
y'all should be able to figure them out... or just by a dozen or so...

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I'm interested in raising crawdads for food. The fact is that I love to eat them. Freshwater lobsters!

So, I've been looking around for ways to raise them on my own land. If you were going to raise them for food, how would you set it up?
We grew some in a tank with other fresh water fish, no warmers just an oxygen pump.
It had plenty of space and rocks for them.
For food, we used scraps of meat, bones and garden worms for food.
They grew to a fair size before they out grew our tank and we donated them to the local aquariums fresh water display.
They were amazed by the large size of these Crawlies. :thumb:

It would take more effort to grow them than say carp for food from my limited experience though.

Reactions: MangledMind

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
My dad and his friends used to swim in the russian river and catch them with their bare hands. Depending on the location, you can really do it. (Although ive never done it).

Also if you quick and lucky enough, you can fish them out. Sometimes they will hold onto the hook and not let go.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
And inverted tomato cage and the front cover off of a box fan makes a decent crawfish trap. Just fasten the cage to the fan cover and tie a chicken bone or some bacon or fish heads to the fan cover or dangle it from the cage. set in in the pond or creek and retrieve it with rope or a broom stick.

Crawfish for lunch.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So what is ervybody's favorite bait for the traps? Bacon works very well. Ive tryed cat fish (in the can with holes poked in it) but didnt reeley work to well

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Yep, bacon has always been the winner with us here.

·
Ego Dominus Vos
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Homemade Bait Box

Half inch fabric wire - hardware store in roll
designed pattern
cut and folded
twisted corner wires to secure
cut lid from design pattern
folded 1 side
twisted opposite to secure lid to box

2"x3"x1"

insert bait, secure lid with rubber band, freeze in ziploc bags until trapping day
:D:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts