1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Miles togo before I sleep
472 Posts
I hope you have a GREAT boil! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Oh man, that looked so good. One other thing, I was told not to eat any crawfish that had a straight tail (it was dead before cooking) -- the tail should be curled. Any real live Cajun on here can correct me if that's wrong.
Down here people also throw chunks of spicy sausage (preferably andouille, but something else might work) in the pot, as well as artichokes.
Also, anyone who says "cray-fish" should be sent home immediately. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh man ya'll are killen me. I haven't had any crawdads in a week. I may correct that soon.
Don't eat one with a straight tail !

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
While I am originally from up north, I am a Southerner by choice... and my in-laws are as Southern as it gets...

We have Crawfish boils all the time & I love cookin' cajun or creole...

OK, details... regarding the straight - tails - dump 'em...

Get your "Mud Bugs" live, not frozen for your boil... In addition to a spicy "boil" to cook yer mud bugs, in, halve ears of corn and throw them in, small red potatoes, grill some andouille sausage and serve with grilled/sauteed onions, green pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce... make sure the beer is I - C - Y!!!!

For those who don't like beer - southern sweet tea...

Loads and loads of paper towels and buckets for shells....

Go with disposable plates...

If yer eatin' outside - not sure if you can in your climate, put down loads of newspaper...

Dig in and have a blast!!!!

BTW, if that's Saturday, make sure you have some good coffee with chicory (like Community Coffee) and serve it with Beignets covered in powdered sugar on Sunday...

Have fun...

I also agree with the poster who stated that if anyone asks about "crayfish," the answer is "nope, not here, you gotta go!"

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
In June of 2008 one of my buddies got married on the beach close to galveston texas. For the meal after the wedding, we grilled some chicken, boudain and boiled some crawfish

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depends how long they been dead! You wouldn't eat shrimp been sittin out in the sun long! If only a hour or so........knock youself out! Put some potatoes and corn on cob, sausage.....whole potatoes that is!Kick in some split lemons too! Ah Yeah!

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
You won't forget it thats for sure. :thumb:
Enjoy!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
If you ain't sure if they are "clean", you can purge them twice. You don't want them crappin' in the cookpot. Have plenty of hot dogs thawed to cook just in case things go wrong.

And no, I don't suck the heads. Most don't.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
im not a huge fan of crawfish. I'll eat the potatoes, corn, onions, sausage, and maybe a dozen bugs or so. the spices are awesome, but im more a shrimp fan.

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
mudbugs are best enjoyed with spicy hot boil and very cold beer.... if anyone wants, i make a homeade crab boil that will knock your socks off!!!:thumb:

·
Young ******* Adult
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 Huge Questions

1. Do all crawfish float when there dead?

2. Are the crawfish in Minnesota lakes and rivers the same as the ones in Louisiana?

3. Does anyone know of a company that will ship live crawfish from Louisiana to Minnesota?

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Yall are wrong, in my neck of the woods they are Crawdads :D:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Crayfish, crawfish, or crawdads — members of the superfamilies Astacoidea and Parastacoidea — are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are related. :D: TT

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
im not a huge fan of crawfish. I'll eat the potatoes, corn, onions, sausage, and maybe a dozen bugs or so. the spices are awesome, but im more a shrimp fan.
The same "boil" can be used for shrimp, which can be cooked together with the mud bugs...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts