Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else bought freeze dried foods from Craigslist?

I took a chance the other day and bought 15 cans of MH (2 dinners and a breakfast) for $120.
For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they sold so cheap.
Cans are in perfect shape and they are good until 2033.

I couldn't make the meals at home for that price per serving so I was wondering if it's common for people to sell of stuff that's only a few years old or did I just get really lucky?

I"m going to make a point of keeping an eye on CL from now on and maybe score another deal like it again.

-HikerDad

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
One issue I would have is storage and how the seller kept the products. Many people don't have an office working area or temperature controlled setting so they keep things in a non temperature controlled storage unit or their garage. Me personally, I'd rather not rely upon someone else but if you use up quickly it may not be an issue.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I have seen storage food for sale on Craigslist and facebook.

I have no idea how it was stored. I also don't store my food that way, I rotate through it so for me to buy something questionable that I don't normally use it would have to be dirt cheap for me to consider it.

What I have seen tends to be about 10 years old and about 1/3- 1/2 price of new. In my mind that isn't a good enough deal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is the one thing I do worry about.
I doubt I would make a large purchase without some way of verifying storage method.
But with the price I paid I suspect I will be using some of this for backpacking soon so it wont sit on the shelf for years.

One issue I would have is storage and how the seller kept the products. Many people don't have an office working area or temperature controlled setting so they keep things in a non temperature controlled storage unit or their garage. Me personally, I'd rather not rely upon someone else but if you use up quickly it may not be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.