Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey folks, Working on some "Crack an Egg" recipes......since these eggs are microwaved I'm having issues with the egg sticking to the glass I'm using making it a royal pain in the Ass to clean.

Does anyone know of a non-stick microwave cup that is 16oz

Regards Henry

·
Super Moderator
65,875 Posts
Hey folks, Working on some "Crack an Egg" recipes......since these eggs are microwaved I'm having issues with the egg sticking to the glass I'm using making it a royal pain in the A** to clean.

Does anyone know of a non-stick microwave cup that is 16oz

Regards Henry
I've seen silicone cups and bowls of various sizes. I doubt eggs would stick to silicone. Pretty much nothing else does.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was gifted some silicone cookers for eggs. You crack the egg in, screw the top on and drop the thing in water. I cook a lot of boiled eggs for the dogs. BUT, yes, eggs WILL stick to them. A spray of cooking spray is needed if you don't want to spend the afternoon cleaning the things<sigh>. So if you find anything else that works, let me know.

liebrecht

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Zeke,
Have you actually used these yourself? Silicone baking pans make fine soap molds but they do not hold up to their hype for baking. So have you used these for eggs and know they don't stick?

liebrecht

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,269 Posts
Zeke,
Have you actually used these yourself? Silicone baking pans make fine soap molds but they do not hold up to their hype for baking. So have you used these for eggs and know they don't stick?

liebrecht
There will always be a little surface tension with cooked egg and no grease. I've never seen any pot, pan, cup, whatever, that never needed grease/spray to release an egg that ever lasted more than a few tries. The moment you clean the surface you start to abrade it slightly and the sticking starts.

But even with the surface tension factor after cleaning the silicone releases pretty easy, if not perfectly, because you can deform it and break the hold that way.

I've used silicone muffin cups for baked eggs before and they came out pretty easy by carefully poking at the edges with a very thin plastic spatula, deforming the mold a bit, and then popping them out.

Have I used this exact measuring cup for this exact job? No. Silicone bakeware is basically all the same to me. Nor do I need to nuke 16oz of egg at a time. In any case, I cook most of my eggs in salt scoured mirror finish aluminum fry pan meant for omelet cooking with a bit of grease. I've been cooking eggs in fry pans with grease since I was a teenager in the 70s.

After my 4th filled kitchen drawer of cooking gizmos I quit that nonsense ages ago.

But I'm trying to offer the most reasonable response I can to the OP who wants a nuke cooking container that holds a pint or more and offers a semblance of a chance at working.

What seems silly to me is the avoidance here of a cheap can of cooking spray or grease.

Nor would I ever nuke an egg. Bake them, poach them, baste them, or fry them, sure, but not nuke. Fact is I cook nothing in the microwave except popcorn, otherwise it only gets used for reheating.

I also never boil them in the shell either. The smell is just nasty.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Zeke,
I was just asking as if somebody found a great way to do this...see me push Submit Order if they did<smile>. My hens are good layers and the kids go on and off eating eggs so....the dogs get the surplus. You do not need to ask why I know my slow cooker will hold 81 eggs<smile>. For humans, I use one of those copper lined pans.....OH MY they are great. But I haven't found any that hold the quantity I cook. So I was not doubting you, just looking for things that have actually worked.

liebrecht

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thought of that as well....the cups that come from the supermarket "crack an egg"nothing sticks to.

I'll see what bed bath and beyond has over the weekend.
HK

·
ICBM Warrior
450 Posts
I've used those dollar store glass condiment bowls with cooking spray, place them in an air fryer for just a few mins...they come out pretty clean!

·
Midwest Born
824 Posts
I had thought of that as well....the cups that come from the supermarket "crack an egg"nothing sticks to.

I'll see what bed bath and beyond has over the weekend.
HK
Solo makes "bowls to go" which are paper and have a lid. i use it for soup etc., they don't spill and they would hold an egg plus all the fixins, maybe 2. they aren't cheap, about 25 cents a piece, but I don't think the egg would stick and f if does, who cares, they are disposable.

i have used silicone...doesn't work as advertised for me. i cant think of anything else that would not stick unless properly oiled.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,269 Posts
The way I see it is that without a bit of cooking spray it is hard to get anything to release an egg cooked in it, but with the spray you have a multitude of options.

Why fight the perfect tool here? It's the cooking spray, not the cooking container.

Dollar stores sell totally affordable cooking sprays.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've used those dollar store glass condiment bowls with cooking spray, place them in an air fryer for just a few mins...they come out pretty clean!
Just discovered air fryer eggs myself, glass bowl, shot of cooking spray and 5 min. in the air fryer and your eating an egg! Is there anything an air fryer can't do?

·
ICBM Warrior
450 Posts
Just discovered air fryer eggs myself, glass bowl, shot of cooking spray and 5 min. in the air fryer and your eating an egg! Is there anything an air fryer can't do?
I know...it's the shizzle... 😁

1 - 14 of 14 Posts