Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of great "Streamlight 1L Twintask" LED flashlights that are very bright and durable, and they only run on one battery. They run on one 3 volt CR123 type battery, and I'm worried that come SHTF I will not be able to recharge them.
Does anyone know of CR123 batteries that are rechargeable?
Also how about a recharger?
Or should I look for a one cell Led flashlight using AA's?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
THere are rechargable CR123's...

I bought 2 pairs (With rechargers) from Sprotsman's guide a couple years ago.

I gave one set away, and lost the other... (Somewhere around here)

But they worked...

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
CR123's are lithium cells with a shelf life of over 10 years. If you do some searching around you can find them in bulk for cheap on the net (well under a buck each). I stocked up and stashed several in each car and 72 hour kits, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the recharge info. I have bought cr123's at the Battery Store in bulk, DuraCell ProCell, supposed to be So-o-o good, for about less than $4.00 a-piece.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
If you're paying $4 each, you're paying way too much. I've purchased Energizer brand for around a buck and other brands for under 80 cents each.

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
I had a Streamlight that suddenly stopped working. They replaced it for free under their guarantee and the reason for the problems they gave was using batteries other than Streamlight batteries. They told me you are not supposed to use rechargeables and many other brand of batteries in their lights. I was using a battery bought over the internet that claimed it would out perform the Streamlight batteries.

In general, I have had bad luck with rechargeables and due to the problem of finding only certain batteries for Streamlights I sold mine on eBay.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
Registered
826 Posts
Look for high-capacity 900mAh rechargeable batteries by Tenergy (and other manufacturers) with the "RCR123A" designation; they will have about 75% of the runtime of a nonrechargeable Surefire CR123A. Skip the standard-capacity 750mAh rechargeables.

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
The biggest thing you need to watch out for with RCR123s is that there are 2 types. One will charge and be at 3.0V like primary CR123s. The other type will be roughly 3.7V and up to 4.0V when fully charged. Some lights will run just fine on both types and some will blow the bulb/LED with the higher voltage. A light that only takes one cell may be OK with the 3.7V batts, but a 2 cell light will see over 9V when it is designed for 6V. Some 2 cell lights will work with the higher voltage just fine though.

Also, my 3.0V RCR123s only last about half as long as primary batteries. I have the Ultralast brand and you can find them a some Meijer stores.

Roger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts