Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks here have taken a cpr course? just wondering. how about a first aid course? they are quick and cheap (sometimes free). Very good skills to have just in case.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Does EMT-B certification count?
I just received my paperwork for renewing my certs, so it looks like I'll be taking several hours of CE soon...

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
had a number of First Aid/ First Responder courses and do CPR every year via my job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First Aid/CPR

I just completed my First Aid/ CPR certification for the Boy Scouts for a cost of $25.00. The First Aid cert. is good for 3 years and the CPR is good for 1 year. It was an 8 hour course.

·
eibweN
374 Posts
had combat first aid in the Army, CPR and First Aid in High School and just recently had an 8 hour infant, child and adult CPR and First Aid class to get certified. thinking about getting the wilderness medicine course that the Red Cross offers also.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
For the skiers and snowboarders, you may want to consider joining the National Ski Patrol. We are required to take CPR training each year. We also take the Outdoor Emergency Care(OEC) course. It is similar to a basic emt course with emphasis being in the wilderness.

It really is excellent training. Plus as a patroller, you get plenty of experience administering first aid during the season.

Did I mention you and your family ski for free.:)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Had to do it for both of my jobs. I just re-took the First Responder class this summer before I broke my leg. The state required me to have an EMT licence to be with the kids.

rill

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can find these classes by calling your local Red Cross and community colleges. If you want something for a shtf situation I would recomend a EMT-basic/CPR along with some other class like EMT/wilderness or one that deals in long term care. Also I would at least get a good book on A&P and study through it. These skills, like any skill, require knowledge and hands on experience so any chance you get try and volunteer some time where you may use them and be able to ask questions from others who are in some type of medical service.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You can find these classes by calling your local Red Cross and community colleges. If you want something for a shtf situation I would recomend a EMT-basic/CPR along with some other class like EMT/wilderness or one that deals in long term care. Also I would at least get a good book on A&P and study through it. These skills, like any skill, require knowledge and hands on experience so any chance you get try and volunteer some time where you may use them and be able to ask questions from others who are in some type of medical service.

EMT/Wilderness first aid classes are available through our outfitters too. See if you have a hunting guide or canoe shop in your area. A couple of them use our facilities to teach a wilderness first responder class.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Thanks for that...I am going to check it out...I really don't want to have to take the class all over again. On that note, does one have to CURRENTLY hold an EMT certification to start medic school? I think that's the case...so if I ever am able to go to paramedic school I had better keep my Basic current...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm currently on Red Cross basic first aid and CPR course (16 hours) and in next spring i need to take advanced first aid course, because they are required to proceed in nature and wilderness guide classes

1 - 20 of 35 Posts