Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Idk how possible this is....but people around us keep donkeys on their property, to keep the coyotes away! Between our donkey + 3 annoying, med-lg, outside dogs, we've been ok.

But it seems like the article is dealing with a suburban neighborhood, so perhaps there isn't room enough for donkeys.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idk how possible this is....but people around us keep donkeys on their property, to keep the coyotes away! Between our donkey + 3 annoying, med-lg, outside dogs, we've been ok.

But it seems like the article is dealing with a suburban neighborhood, so perhaps there isn't room enough for donkeys.
Thats it, no firearms can be legally discharged in the subdivision. Mlive also has an article about a ‘yote lurking in the Walmart parking lot here.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I live in Southern California which is a crowded area to say the least. We have coyotes roaming the streets daily. I see them when I leave for work in the morning. We also have them eating our pets. They jump walls or ambush as people walk their pets.

You can't discharge a firearm within city limits so there really is no way to stop it (at least here). I had a friend whose dog was mauled by a yote that jumped his fence in the middle of the day. They have spread into urban/suburb America and because there is little the gov will let us do to stop them they are here to stay.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Thats it, no firearms can be legally discharged in the subdivision. Mlive also has an article about a ‘yote lurking in the Walmart parking lot here.
I know someone that traps them in Waterford. Overall I'd be willing to bet you guys have a lot more down there than we do up here. More and easier food supply in the more urban areas and nobody hunting them.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,138 Posts
Idk how possible this is....but people around us keep donkeys on their property, to keep the coyotes away!
Donkeys do keep coyotes away.

The farm down the road has a few had hasn't lost any livestock while the next person without donkies has. I also keep a rifle close to the door for predators.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know someone that traps them in Waterford. Overall I'd be willing to bet you guys have a lot more down there than we do up here. More and easier food supply in the more urban areas and nobody hunting them.
I live on a rural 8 acres, I’ve seen coyotes on my property several times. I bought a #3 double coilspring jump leghold, dyed, waxed and ready to go. Never have had a chance to use it because the ‘yotes have never bothered my free-range girls yet. I have had issues with red fox though.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
One got one of my housecats, right in the back yard, not 20 yards from the house. Not long after I applied some .223 caliber justice to a big male trotting up the driveway by the barn. The other cats now think I'm magic.

That was 3 years ago. Hain't seen or heard a 'yote here since.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
My neighbor saw a coyote between my house and his, but did not shoot.
I told him, next time just text “duck” and shoot!
That is how much I want to get rid of coyotes.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,136 Posts
This happens all the time by me. I live on the edge of the desert. Coyotes and an occasional cougar come in from the desert every night and cruise the neighborhood looking for dogs and cats. Even a fairly large dog is no match for a small pack of coyotes.

Here is what's left after they drag someone's family pet into the desert. This was a large white dog.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I put out some coyote lights that are solar charged and flash red.
It seems to work, the coyotes are not coming as close to my house as they were.

·
Off the leash
2,008 Posts
I know I will probably get a lot of negative replies from this but I gotta say it.

Coyotes are just one of the many animals that have been pushed out of their native grounds, the woods, as more and more houses and sub divisions are being built. They were here long before us and they have to have some place to go and if we invade or get rid of their homeland they have to go somewhere.

Okay, fire away. :D:

Edited to add, before anyone asks, we live in the country on 10 aches with woods all around us and have coyotes all around us too. We've never had a problem with them because there is plenty of small game for them to eat.

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,136 Posts
I know I will probably get a lot of negative replies from this but I gotta say it.

Coyotes are just one of the many animals that have been pushed out of their native grounds, the woods, as more and more houses and sub divisions are being built. They were here long before us and they have to have some place to go and if we invade or get rid of their homeland they have to go somewhere.

Edited to add, before anyone asks, we live in the country on 10 aches with woods all around us and have coyotes all around us too. We've never had a problem with them because there is plenty of small game for them to eat.
There is nothing wrong with your observations, but your opinion might change if they attacked and ate your favorite pooch. In the desert, where I live, there is very little small game for them to eat. They, therefore, prey on pets in the residential areas. Unfortunately, we cannot shoot them there.

When you recognize a threat, you need to deal with the threat. Anything less than that would be negligence. All people are talking here is protecting their critters from a threat.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

You are entirely correct, however since mankind has changed their environment it is our responsibility to manage them.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
had to have the coyote vs pets/small children, conversation with a coworker the other night. she said she had never seen one (100% urban) .her apartment complex is surrounded by empty lots and she lets her kids play unsupervised out side. her daughter is 3.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are entirely correct, however since mankind has changed their environment it is our responsibility to manage them.
And with that, if you live in a urban environment and enough pets are lost. All it will take is for one person to OFF a yote and tell the cops that I was in fear of my, or my pets life. Things only change then when enough neighbors complain or enough shots are fired at yotes in the urban areas.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,585 Posts
That and owls for the smaller ones.

We have a lot of owls roosting in palm trees. Pellets on ground and when doing pruning have found cat and dog skulls along with rodent, in the folds. So dont leave sparky out after dark.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts