Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone Hunt Coyotes? I was wondering a little more about it like:
Do you need tags?
What's the ideal caliber to take one down?
Will a 20 gauge with a deer slug take one out?
What do you do with the fur? Sell or what?
Is there a limit?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I still hunt them occasionaly . The 20 ga will work and so will the slug, but if your hunting for pelts to sell it will cause too much damage and degrade the value of the skin. Just about any rifle will take a coyote, but the best suited calibers for taking pelts would be some of the centerfire rounds like .222 , 22/250 ,223. Heavier calibers will work for the taking of pelts , but you should use a FMJ type bullett to lessen damage to the hide.
As for your question about Tags and limits , Im from Texas so I dont know the Ohio regs. You should be able to go online and check your state regulations and find what you need to know . Hope this helps, and BTW if you havent hunted Coyotes before your gonna have a blast.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I shot one with my ML110 the year I had it about 5 yrs ago.I was hunting deer & saw nothing except the coyote!I shot him without thinking twice.This year I heard them howl during the full moon during the rut!!Wow talk about my hair on my back of my neck standing up!!

·
Banned
59 Posts
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/seasons.aspx

Here is the link to Ohio Department of Fish & Wildlife. If you scroll to the bottom of the first list, you can see there is no closed season for hunting or trapping coyote and no possession or bag limit. However, I do not see a method of firearm. In Ohio are you allowed to use a rifle of any kind for hunting. I thought deer was shotgun, bow or crossbow only. I may be mistaken though. Hope this helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Up here if you have small game permit.You can shoot them for about 9 mts out of the year if memory serves me right!I spoke to many hunters this year & it's been a bad year for deer hunting.There were so many coyotes out there it was crazy!!My buddy told me he saw sometimes 5 to 10 per outting.Were thinking about going on a drive just for coyotes only!

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I've wanted to try coyote hunting. I may get scared ****less but if they attack, pow right in the kisser. heh.

20 gauge you should have no problem. They aren't that large, so if a 20 can take a deer, it can take a coyote.

This may sound wrong to some, but you could get it mounted, if thats the correct term, but not like a deer. Have it sitting down, as if it were stuffed. I've seen it at my girlfriends house. It looks pretty cool. Some people may disagree.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here they are considered a nuisance animal - you can kill as many as you want, any time, with anything in your hand.

The hides used to fetch a fair price, but lately they are worth next to nothing. I killed one a couple weeks ago and tried to give it to a fur trapper - he said it wasn't worth the space in the freezer anymore.

·
Banned
59 Posts
They can be sought all year long here in Kentucky also. Had a pack of about 4 come in on me and my cousin one night while fishing a farm pond. I had their medicine on my hip, but it scared my cousin so badly he packed up and left. They were about 25 yards from us when they started howling. If you haven't heard them that close before, it really is somewhat intimidating when your sitting in the middle of nowhere at the stroke of midnight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, we've been having coyotes coming onto our property attacking our animals for a couple weeks now. What I'm wondering is about the shot size and range. Can 8 Shot out of a 20 Gauge take a coyote down at 20 yards or so? My friend says it needs to be at least 6 Shot, but I'm not sure.....anyone know?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Here they are considered a nuisance animal - you can kill as many as you want, any time, with anything in your hand.
Same here.. They are also not afraid of people like they used to be and we couldn't chase one away not long ago.. We have a small dog and kids and my goal is to kill as many of those bastards as I can..

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Could kill a Elephant with a .22, and it's been done.... But it's Not the right tool for the job.

A Yote is a Tuff animal, a True survivor.. Very smart and hell bent on living. If you don't hit them hard where they live (heart / lungs / Brain) you will likely not recover them. That may be fine for someone wanting rid of them. I an a Predator Hunter, I call them to me and Kill them in such a manner that that go down Fast, yet the hide is not blown up. The .223 with .55 grain V-Max does the job well for me. With a good heart shot, the Explosive effects of the V-Max makes the Blood Pressure Extreme.. causing hemorrhaging in the brain and instantly shuts down the CNS. And unless I hit a shoulder and get a Splash would, there is little damage to the hide.

When doing Depredation work, such as a Goat farm I hunt I will often use a .243 for the range. I can effectively drop them at 600+ yards with the .243 and 75 grain V-Max... but even at extended ranges it looks like he swallowed the Acme Dynamite lol

Use the right tool for the job, if at all possible...

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Alright thank you.
Just asking, btw-didnt mean to hijack the thread, because we got them in the field behind my house. In case they get too close, I want to take them down.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Don know what Ohios Regs are for hunting them but...

Like has been said before, 22 centerfire is most appropriate caliber wise. The 223, 222 Rem and Rem Mag, 22-250 and 220 Swift are some of the more popular 22 centerfires that are often used. Most Coyote populatings that are hunted and see some pressure are often well educated and will rarely give you many short range shots as they can be quiet wary in such areas. If you want to keep the pelts then use 45-55gr hollow points designed for explosive expansion.

I havent shot many due to the lack of market price for the furs as I really hate to kill them just to kill something. My favorite rig is a German K98 that has been re-stocked, custom 28 inch bull barrel installed chambered for a wild cat .224 TTH with a 1-6 twist rate. May favorite load when not shooting for pelts is a 80gr Lost River Ballistics J36 bullet. Its loaded to push out of the barrel at 3650 fps and when sited in for a 200 yard zero is about 4 inches low at 400 yards. They generally drop as if struck by a bolt of lightening. A 223 bull barreled Remington is probably my next most favorite gun for this type of hunting.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
Does anyone Hunt Coyotes? I was wondering a little more about it like:
Do you need tags?
What's the ideal caliber to take one down?
Will a 20 gauge with a deer slug take one out?
What do you do with the fur? Sell or what?
Is there a limit?
Depends on your state look up your local gun laws. Here in Oklahoma you need a hunting license and a fur license an extra 10 dollars.
I use a 22 mag, 22-250 or a 223 are ideal. i also carry a 12 guage with #2 duck shot for closer shots. DONT USE A SLUG = HUGE HOLE no good if you wanna sell the fur. average fur brings 20-30 around here. As far ass a limit that depends on your hunting regs. Hope this answers your questions. lmk if you have more. Oh an a Good Predator call and alot of land to cover... call for 20 min or so if you dont have one run up, move to a new location. try early morning and late eavning.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
hi, we've been having coyotes coming onto our property attacking our animals for a couple weeks now. What i'm wondering is about the shot size and range. Can 8 shot out of a 20 gauge take a coyote down at 20 yards or so? My friend says it needs to be at least 6 shot, but i'm not sure.....anyone know?
#2 works great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts