Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Don't know how many of you are into dutch oven, campfire, cowboy cooking like me....however, If you are here is a website I found with TONS of recipes!! :thumb:

Yum-Yum!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/
Yes! Although not a prep item, our L.L. Bean Firepit and cast iron dutch oven have proven to be a great way for us to enjoy the outdoors an night and practice cooking on an open fire. We've cooked over the fire entire meals followed by s'mores and popcorn in yard. Easy and safe.

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
Thanks! Each Spring Break my son and I camp out in the mountains. I make every meal on the campfire, keep my coals going non-stop, and keep a large pot of water on the coals. I am always looking to learn new tips and tricks. I try to make things last and cook in small batches since it is just he and I. I also get tired of canned chili and hot dogs so I try to make things that require some skill instead. I tend to experiment when i cook and just throw things together. We also have to put up all food and dishes at night due to the bears.

I grilled some pears once and made a grilled pear cobbler with bisquick. gosh it was good! ate it the next day out hiking with some swiss cheese. the smokey flavor on the pears was awesome. dang it- now I'm getting hungry ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for the web site! Anyone know where to get "good" cast iron cook wear. when I say good, I mean made in the USA. I want true cast iron, not the cast aluminum look a like. Also I've been told that the stuff made overseas has a bunch of different metals that can leach into the food. Anyone have any info?

Tbull:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts