Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound totally wacko, but as I sit here watching "The 13th Warrior", there was a part in it where the main character is being treated for his cuts during a battle with cow urine. The healer lady says that it'll prevent the wound from pussing and a fever starting.

This piqued my interest so I looked it up online and came across the Cow Urine Manual. Now, I'm skeptical as the next gal about this but I was wondering if any one has ever heard of this practice before?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's only an anecdote, but a friend of my fathers who served as a medic in Korea told me that when there was no other disinfectant available, they would pee on their hands for sterilization. He said it was the Uric acid that did the trick.

I would guess cow pee had uric acid too and might work as a disinfectant?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cows are sacred to Hindus [if you have a scarce commodity, like cows, and you make them sacred they don't get eaten, so you can conserve that scarce commodity] and just about anything that comes from a cow [dung, milk, urine] is held in high regard, but remember that there have been no serious double-blind scientific tests done on the efficacy of cow urine as a 'cure' for anything.

Also, you can catch leptospirosis from urine taken from diseased animals. And that can kill ya.

·
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF
549 Posts
Yes, he did it. In spite of the mountain of outdoors advice AGAINST doing it.

It's a television show; and as such, it's primarily designed to garner ratings.

There's a whole Wiki about how Bear Grylls doesn't actually do the things that he alleges to do onscreen: http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/bearwiki/Main_Page

Be careful what you watch; be even more careful about checking sources.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would have to be pretty hard pressed to drink urine. As for irrigating wounds, When I was in the Guard I was a Combat Lifesaver (military first responder). They advised against it.
My Dad used to put earwax on bee stings though. It takes the sting out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts