Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I have nothing to say
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area, people seem to shop for groceries as a full-contact sport. Every time I see Tillamook cheddar on sale for $5.99/2Lb the shelf is empty by 6AM Monday morning. I decided to go to thegrocerygame.com to try to get ahead of the pack.

So many coupons are for prepared meals. Much of the time, I wind up with a fistful of coupons I can't use. Still, the site is useful to me. It keeps track of the major sales for several chain stores, and I get the opportunity to stock up on meat and canned vegetables for much less.

I make jerky, so I keep an eye out for London Broil at $3/lb. When it goes on sale at that price I'll buy ten or twenty pounds and set it to marinate for a while. This week top sirloin went on sale for $3/lb, so I bought up a bit and froze it for steak dinners. I'll take what I can get.

I'll buy diced canned tomatoes any time. This week they slid up into my shopping cart for $0.69/15.5oz can, and I took advantage of the price. Gluten free Barillia pasta for a buck a pound? I'm there.

I went to Safeway's site and registered for their special online coupon offerings. Lo and behold, they gave me a buck a pound off tomatoes. I love tomatoes! My receipt wound up with 40% off just for checking for online coupons and the savings card. I know, I know... it would have been cheaper if I would have grown it myself. That's fine and I do some gardening and canning on my own. Still, it's great to just lay down some cash and get 15.5oz cans of roasted tomatoes with garlic for $0.69 today. I recently installed some heavyweight shelves in my cold storage room, and have no problem with filling it up with store-canned veggies if that's what fills the room up.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Interesting site, thegrocerygame.com You can sign up for a free 4 week trial. You can select a list of stores by putting in your zip code, and picking the store. Each store you select costs $10 for the first store and $5 for everyone other store, every 8 weeks after your trial.

Thought it was very interesting that you can select (and potentially pay for a subscription to, after the trial) only coupons for ALDI and the Dollar Tree, when neither store accepts coupons. Hmm...

That being said, it's definitely a good idea to coupon shop. I generally shop at ALDI, so I don't do much couponing. But sometimes a local chain store store (which does have coupons, but wasn't on that list?) has some fantastic deals. A month or two ago you could buy a 4-5lb thing of chicken breast and get $20 worth of freebies with it. A few years ago they had Heinz gravy for 60 cents a jar. And on each jar was a coupon for 50 cents off your next purchase of a jar. I got a lot of those!

Just be careful about subscription places. They are there to make money, and you may not be getting the best end of the deal.

Attachments

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,548 Posts
It doesn't take all that much work to pay attention, and the savings rewards can be huge. I like to think of it as being equivalent to having a part-time job that pays really, really well. And that money you save? Tax free! Or should I say, you already paid taxes on it once; unlike the income from a part-time job, you don't have to pay taxes on money you save.

Watching the trends is important as well. We've been stocking up on coffee, keeping it in rotation. The price is down; I follow the futures price of coffee, and it bottomed in November at just over $1/pound. It's been rising since then, up to almost $1.22/pound today.

http://www.finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=KC&p=w1

That's down from over $3/pound in 2011, so it's a heck of a savings. I believe we've hit bottom and it isn't coming back down, so we're stocking up. The expiry on the coffee we like is about a year out, so I want to accumulate a year's worth in rotation.

Now, you may not drink coffee, but the principle is the same for whatever you use, just like it is with coupons and sales: when the price drops, stock up!

[I once refinanced my mortgage which resulted in savings of $39/mo. Doesn't sound like much, except that it added up to nearly $7000 over the life of the loan, and the annual savings of $468 turned out to be almost exactly what I paid for a Country Living Grain Mill plus accessories....]

·
Registered
633 Posts
peak oil - you don't have to pay for a subscription when there are a zillion coupon bloggers out there that would give you the same info for free.

Just google whatever grocery store you like to frequent and a ton of bloggers will show up. Most will cover a variety of different grocery stores.

dealfinder - dollar trees accepts coupons.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
peak oil - you don't have to pay for a subscription when there are a zillion coupon bloggers out there that would give you the same info for free.

Just google whatever grocery store you like to frequent and a ton of bloggers will show up. Most will cover a variety of different grocery stores.

dealfinder - dollar trees accepts coupons.
Did not know that - you learn something new every day. Though I don't think they have a whole lot of name brand food. But good to know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Afullcup.com and hotcouponworld.com might be of help to you also? I use to be known as the "Couponqueen" years ago when the coupons were worth a huge savings for people like me.

Now that the coupons suck I learned to buy several months worth of food when the sale is good until the next good sale comes around..

I now have built up my pantry,freezer,canned goods,hba's and TP to where I can just fill in as needed.

Its very rare for me to totally run out anything except fresh milk,potatoes & onions..We are a family of 5-adult's and one 17yr old..all are male except for me the Momma..I finally figured it out to have backups ( light bulb moment) like powdered milk,instant potatoes,dehydrated onions.

·
Tactical disadvantage
372 Posts
Interesting site, thegrocerygame.com You can sign up for a free 4 week trial. You can select a list of stores by putting in your zip code, and picking the store. Each store you select costs $10 for the first store and $5 for everyone other store, every 8 weeks after your trial.

Thought it was very interesting that you can select (and potentially pay for a subscription to, after the trial) only coupons for ALDI and the Dollar Tree, when neither store accepts coupons. Hmm...

That being said, it's definitely a good idea to coupon shop. I generally shop at ALDI, so I don't do much couponing. But sometimes a local chain store store (which does have coupons, but wasn't on that list?) has some fantastic deals. A month or two ago you could buy a 4-5lb thing of chicken breast and get $20 worth of freebies with it. A few years ago they had Heinz gravy for 60 cents a jar. And on each jar was a coupon for 50 cents off your next purchase of a jar. I got a lot of those!

Just be careful about subscription places. They are there to make money, and you may not be getting the best end of the deal.
Imagine if Dollar Tree took coupons or gave coupons like 10, 20%, etc. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my area, people seem to shop for groceries as a full-contact sport. Every time I see Tillamook cheddar on sale for $5.99/2Lb the shelf is empty by 6AM Monday morning.
As a former west coaster, this made me miss the yummy-ness that is tillamook cheddar... luckily my dearest mother-in-law brings me blocks in her suitcase when she comes to visit :D:

And good job on the groceries. I have been couponing for the past couple years, and it's a learning curve to figure out what works best for your family.

I stock up on basics (that don't have coupons) when they hit my "buy" price (ie. not necessarily the lowest price I've ever seen, but still a really good deal) and search out coupons for basics that we use ie. milk, butter, rolled oats, yogurt, crackers etc. Coupons for basics are harder to find (especially here in Canada) but so exciting when you come across them. I've even found coupons for fruit on occasion..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.