Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
That's why I'll never live in the north or northeast. Anywhere they have to de-ice planes is completely out of the question.

There's something to be said for having a white Christmas, but it's 65 degrees and sunny here and snow is only an hour away so I won't complain.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I bet the customer service reps had a SHTP moment when those over-privileged Haitian thugs whooped their ass. Anyone who knows anything about Haiti knows that only the wealthy get to travel since the poor and working class would never return if they can just book their flight to America; remember the Haiti boat people???

Forget travel, going out to a movie or grab a bite to eat takes over an hour to travel less than 1 mile here because every idiots from DC, Southern VA, and surrounding counties think it is cool to come here to shop. I have always suspect and been proven right each year about the fact that Christmas is the time to see the truly color of most Christians. The way they treat their fellow men during the Christ's birthday celebration time is horrid. I see more middle finger, N-word (I can read lips), and traffic cutting in one week than I see the rest of the year combined. The worst one is those just coming out of church and wave the middle finger when someone won't let them back into the traffic flow. Very Christian of them.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
We're expecting up to 20+ inches here in Minnesota, winter storm warning. Weather pattern looks really messed up, like a big inland hurricane coming up from the south (normally our weather goes from northwest to southeast). When we get tornadoes, it's often from the south also.

I loaded up on gas for the snowblower, checked fluids in the Jeep, got some wine, and regular groceries in addition to our usual preps. So long as the power doesn't give out, this will just be another blizzard -- no big deal, we all suffer through them. It might change our Christmas Eve plans though (mom lives about 20 miles away). The mechanized voice on the NOAA weather channel compared this to our Halloween Blizzard of '91 (The Perfect Storm, as it affected Minnesota). So it'll be interesting to see what we get...

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Fly Ha!

We gots more floridiots on the road here this week than they have in Florida of course the whole town is gridlocked.:mad:

I gotta move someplace with more cows than people.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I have always suspect and been proven right each year about the fact that Christmas is the time to see the truly color of most Christians. The way they treat their fellow men during the Christ's birthday celebration time is horrid. I see more middle finger, N-word (I can read lips), and traffic cutting in one week than I see the rest of the year combined. The worst one is those just coming out of church and wave the middle finger when someone won't let them back into the traffic flow. Very Christian of them.
Don't assume that those who are shopping for Christmas presents are Christians. Many are not.

Christians in France and the UK, for example are around 5% of the total national population.

There are many more in the USA, but I've never understood why so many non-Christians (atheists even) participate in the Christmas trappings - tree, presents, lights on house, Christmas dinner, etc.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Don't assume that those who are shopping for Christmas presents are Christians. Many are not.

Christians in France and the UK, for example are around 5% of the total national population.

There are many more in the USA, but I've never understood why so many non-Christians (atheists even) participate in the Christmas trappings - tree, presents, lights on house, Christmas dinner, etc.
Hegemony, don't want to stand out and not be included. Regardless if you are no longer practicing, the Christmas season is a fundamental part of western culture. When I first moved to Miami many of the Jewish families would decorate with giant lighted Menorah and stuff. We'd all get together and sing the dreidel song.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Like aramchek said it is a blizzard here in MN and I prepared a few days ago, have some DVD’s and DVR to watch. I wonder how snow we are going to end up with? I for one would never travel on a holiday, then you see people complain and try to put the blame on the airlines

·
Registered
5,987 Posts

Because they are cultural Christians. They attend funerals, christenings, weddings, but rarely if ever actual church services. They call themselves Christians simply because it is the dominant religion, that really has no litmus test for belonging.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
The test for Christians.

Because they are cultural Christians. They attend funerals, christenings, weddings, but rarely if ever actual church services. They call themselves Christians simply because it is the dominant religion,
Very true. Excellent observation.

... that really has no litmus test for belonging.
Actually, there is a test. It is:

Do you believe in one true God?

Do you believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead?

Do you believe in the infallible words of God and the Bible?

Simply participating in Christian cultural events and going to church does not make one a Christian. It is about unwavering faith.

Every Christian denomination and individual congregation have a "Statement of Faith"; stating the extent of their belief.

I think that the Crusade For Christ organization is representative of this and an excellent example of what Christians believe fundamentally:

http://www.ccci.org/about-us/ministry-profile/statement-of-faith.aspx

·
survivalist in the making
153 Posts
some of us haave no choice. I'm currently 1000 miles from home right now for a new job and I'll be done in the spring. Then I can go home back to work a normal life.

on the lighter side I had no problem flying yesterday with the masses.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I share your sentiment but I am driving 10 hours to grandma's house. Just boring though since it is all in the south so the roads shouldn't be a problem.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Well, we got only about 8 inches of snow last night. More on the way today, maybe a foot. Hardly a matter of life & death in the modern age. My neighbor is the opposite of a survivalist and even he did perfectly fine last night. I say opposite because...

* No snowblower.
* He's kept a mountain bike outdoors in plain view, leaning up against his garage all summer (and it's still there now, half buried in snow).
* His new lawnmower has also been left outside all fall/winter, and is currently under 1+ feet of snow.

And I think that's one of the great tragedies in the modern age. We're so comfortable with insulated homes, wealth, modern conveniences, etc. that there are very few chances in which people are sorted by good vs. bad judgment, not even at the workplace or in politics (in fact, those with poor judgment often rise to the top).

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
And I think that's one of the great tragedies in the modern age. We're so comfortable with insulated homes, wealth, modern conveniences, etc. that there are very few chances in which people are sorted by good vs. bad judgment, not even at the workplace or in politics (in fact, those with poor judgment often rise to the top).
This is one of the reasons humans will have a tough time in the future.

Every animal in the wild faces a rigorous process of natural selection. We humans are not, and the 'bad eggs' are not weeded out for the most part. Might sound callus to speak of that, but natural selection is the key to species survival, eventually mother nature will get her rain check.

On a lighter note... It's Christmas guys! Cheer up! :D:

we don't have to be devout christians to celebrate Christmas... It's a holiday, a time to spend with family, and to enjoy yourself and make others happy. There's no useful reason to question or criticize an event that brings people together and makes them happier for a time.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
we don't have to be devout christians to celebrate Christmas...
Well, yes you do. If you don't believe in Christ or his birth then by celebrating Christmas you are doing something else ... being sacrilegious and hypocritical.

Christmas trees, lights, cards and presents are not a part of the celebration of Christ's birth. They are mere secular trappings that have evolved and gradually attached themselves to Christmas over the generations.

It's a holiday, a time to spend with family, and to enjoy yourself and make others happy. There's no useful reason to question or criticize an event that brings people together and makes them happier for a time.
Spending time with family, enjoying oneself and making others happy isn't reserved to just a few days or weeks each year in December. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

christians usualy partake in the christ-mass feast but this holly day was introduced by the roman catholic church . what ppl dont know is that this days is also a pegan ritual day . also i personaly disagree with christmass
jesus never said to worship him he said to worship his father GOD !

hence the holly days is saterday the last day of the week .

most atheist join the feasts and partys but thats just becaus they follow every body else . i think cristmas time is a bit special it should be about joy and happyness . i think that our society turned it upside down . how many ppl are un happy around that time how many kids get desapointed how many family miss somone affar etc...

as for flying why the heck ppl wait to the last minute ?! i do agree that they forced their hands with the 1 lanes to check bagages in and stuff with no clear indications and all that seams that ppl get caried away somtimes whitout providing solutions .

·
Some White Guy
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just tossed the link up as I thought it was a pretty sad glimpse into the future if anything major were to happen (I.E. Storm or something). This was just Holiday travel and people are fighting, arguing, police called to calm the crowd down, etc. :xeye: Be a friggin madhouse if they had to get people out this way.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
The tree is pagan Germanic, not Christian. Gift-giving & feasting are universal with holidays in general. Christmas is a hodge-podge holiday in the US.:

* Initially (furthest back in time) it's a pagan & Germanic tradition of yule, winter solstice, the tree, etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
* Roman holiday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia
* Birth of Christ.
* Mass consumerism.

In a nutshell, the holiday is whatever you want to make of it at this point. I've known recent immigrants, mixed Jewish-Christian households, etc. who celebrate multiple holidays. For most people around the world, including me, any excuse to feast, take time off from work, meet with family, is to be taken advantage of. We actually don't have that many holidays in the US compared to some countries, and get less paid vacation that most every other European/industrialized nation...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts