Survivalist Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,896 Posts
You said it better than I could have peter, it's certainly a different world, back before WWI the majority worked on farms, now, well you said it all.
I agree. Sometimes "learning from the past", it's possible to learn the wrong lessons.

The problem today is that there has been a seismic shift in what is "morally acceptable", in society. A shift for the worse. As has been well pointed-out by both you and Petergunn.

And it's the same in "rural" culture, as it has changed in the cities.

I am a farmer in Nebraska. On the same farm my late parents lived on since 1936. Dad and Mom often talked about the Depression years of the 30's. When people---literally---were starving and destitute. However even in that situation, there was little to no rampant crime such as theft and assaults, in rural society. Because that was a "moral line" that very few would instinctively cross. At least as far as farms and rural areas back then.

So having your "own farm out in the country, all safe and well-stocked", will NOT automatically be the secure and safe place so many posters here seem to assume. Instead, it will be regarded as a Fort Knox of food and shelter. And the big threat will NOT be from "thugs from the city coming out to rob and rape". It will come from your neighbors down the road.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just noticed you live in rural Australia (? ) or did I get that wrong? I have never been to Australia so I can't say anything about it, but here it's probably a little different. We live in a mostly Amish community ( in a serious SHTF situation, they would probably be the "low hanging fruit" sad, but probably true) . On some days it sounds like the civil war has already started judging by how many people are shooting. Every street sign around here has bullet holes in it. We are up on a mountain, hard to get to and with the strategic advantage of seeing and hearing ( dogs) anyone come up the road. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting raped or murdered or even robbed around here, nobody locks their doors, and nobody steals the livestock. I am sure this would change in a SHTF situation but I am pretty sure it would be locals causing problems, not city people. City people don't come out here much. I think they would go other places ( like the middle and northern farm areas of Virginia, closer to DC and Baltimore etc). You talk about living in a small town, well, we live outside in a rural area but we do have neighbors ( and most people know everyone else). The nearest neighbor is less than a mile away. Either way, I want to live here. I will die trying to defend this place because I be damned before I move back to a city or any size.

Oh and we have been here almost 6 years. Before that we lived downtown Orlando. There, I didn't even go grocery shopping unarmed.
I see your point of view, it doesn't sound like anywhere in America is particularly peaceful. Australia is different, we don't have the immigration you have, we're still 85% white Anglo and 7% Chinese now, the remainder being like 50 different ethnic minorities. My town out here is All White Australians and that leads to cohesion. I'm not a supremacist but it's a basic fact of demographics that when everyone is the same color and background you have a more peaceful society, at least in the western nations. I say all this because it's reflected in our town, like zero crime, not even any graffiti. Oh the odd car stolen by kids for a joyride and the odd drug bust, but it's small stuff and only happens occasionally. It's very rural but you hardly ever hear a gunshot and there are lots of guns around. There is even a decent gunshop.

The really bad stuff starts after SHTF as you say, if that ever happens it will happen here too to some degree, that's why I like to have trusted neighbors close at hand. It's why the ancients lived in villages for the most part, safety in numbers. The capital city north of me, 1.7 million, has murders every day almost but there has never been a murder out here, ever! I put a lot of research both practical and investigative into my choice. 15 years worth all told, so I have a measure of confidence I made the right decision.

I wish you well up there, you're streets ahead of the competition by the sound of it :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
So having your "own farm out in the country, all safe and well-stocked", will NOT automatically be the secure and safe place so many posters here seem to assume. Instead, it will be regarded as a Fort Knox of food and shelter. And the big threat will NOT be from "thugs from the city coming out to rob and rape". It will come from your neighbors down the road.
Yes, it's certainly different there compared to here but your assessment of the threats is no doubt accurate. My mother told me stories about life on the farm she grew up on, about the depression and the men wandering out looking for work, most starving by the time they got to her gate. They would be fed and given a little extra and sent on their way and sometimes would be found dead under a tree further on, they just gave up. I can't see the narcissistic consumers called 'Men' today doing that. Hunger is one of the most powerful drivers, more so than sex. As you say, it's only high morals that keep these excesses at bay and those morals no longer exist in society.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
OP is pretty much living my plan for the property I am trying to get right now.

I want to rent the cabin on the property for additional income, grow as much as I can (include rehab of the forested areas for food and wood), rehab the ponds on site for trout and other fish, sell some of the excess that will be intentionally produced (including doing an online store), etc.

Plan is:
1) I get to stop working for a crap wage that only makes other people rich.
2) I get to live on land that produces healthy food for me.
3) I get to see the benefits of my labor first hand (be it what I grow, structures I build, whatever).
4) I get to do all the prep projects and builds I have wanted so long (such as living on a property I can have a shooting range on).
5) I get to build a place for me and mine that is free of nosy neighbors looking over your shoulder, free of snoops and opinionated no-brains, and the like.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good to know, there are still people capable of living off the grid. It's a big inspiration for me and maybe one day a fulfilled dream.
I'm in the middle of densely populated Europe, where you can just close groceries, and we all are pretty much screwed.

·
Wayfinder
510 Posts
You won't find this on CNN, ABC, or the like, but it's real:

Building Daytime Property Plant Road surface

Cloud Sky Property Window Building

·
Wayfinder
510 Posts
More...

Yeah, they aren't gassing people. But history isn't on the side of those trapped in the camps.

·
Wayfinder
510 Posts
Just so you can see for yourself on Google Maps:

The families trapped there are also "billed" by their government $2500 per week.

There is also another smaller camp (Todd) that I haven't located the GPS coords yet:

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,801 Posts
The guys on the Blaze have been talking off and on for a quite awhile about how crazy it has become in Australia

81 - 92 of 92 Posts