Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread Kahn pointed out that we get too many people asking for what gun should I have for when SHTF. Other people responded with different opinions but it led me to think that maybe, just maybe this forum might need a Basic Information Primer or information thread for newbies. The thread would answer the most basic and obvious questions such as:

Information about storing food
Information about pistols
Information about rifles
Information about shotguns
Information about ballistics in general
Information about survival options (underground, panic rooms, emergency shelters and so on)
Information on purifying water (w/bleach, heat and water purification tablets)
Information on cooking with wood, charcoal, alcohol lamps and so on
Information on emergency medical treatment and medical kits
And so on and so on...

This forum could put together people, maybe in loose teams or committees, who know about different issues from their own perspective and, after all, nobody would know everything about everything involving survival. I don't know what the moderators will think about this but it might be worth considering.

·
Rush Chairman
47 Posts
In another thread Kahn pointed out that we get too many people asking for what gun should I have for when SHTF. Other people responded with different opinions but it led me to think that maybe, just maybe this forum might need a Basic Information Primer or information thread for newbies. The thread would answer the most basic and obvious questions such as:

Information about storing food
Information about pistols
Information about rifles
Information about shotguns
Information about ballistics in general
Information about survival options (underground, panic rooms, emergency shelters and so on)
Information on purifying water (w/bleach, heat and water purification tablets)
Information on cooking with wood, charcoal, alcohol lamps and so on
Information on emergency medical treatment and medical kits
And so on and so on...
Yep - that is a pretty good list of most of the stuff I was looking for when I searched for a survivalist forum. Sadly, I am starting to get the impression that we newbs aren't allowed to broach those subjects if they have already been discussed before.

Maybe I am in the wrong forum.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
You can broach it but search for it before you do. Now, would you read the newspaper if every day it ran the EXACT same stories? No you wouldn't, because it would get really useless, really fast.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, the secret services think its necessary so, i do too.

For example; the police may rip up the walls, but they rarely rip up a ceiling. That ones for free ;)

I think basic info would be vital, too many people are saying stuff like a .22 with 1million rounds is a good option. Or an Ak47 will defend you from anything... yeah, like that works in the middle east. And far too many people saying sort of stuff like: ill torture those fascists with my pickaxe survival tool!? Been watching to many slasher movies to be sane. There’s even these tin foil hat people that will believe anything their paranoia tells them to. They give the ones that do actual research a bad name.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It points out that we all need mulitple sources of information. don't let one place be an end all for you. The web is a great place to start but you need a hard copy library. If you buy books on CD make hard copies of the pertinant info for your files.

Get copies of books like Kearney's Nuclear War Survival Skills. Make copies of food preparation files. Most of all start a plan and put it on paper. NO plan is real until you commit it to paper. Yes there is still paper.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grinnan has a pretty good idea. Make a dvd with basic information for sale to new people or people who just want some information in general. Don't charge an arm or a leg and it should do pretty good. Any profit from the sale or sales can go back into financing this site. I like that!!!

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I wouldn't mind a basic forum, but there is no need to give a rude reply, to a new persons question.

Either ignore the post or Give them a basic reply and suggest they use the search function.

We, or at least I do, want the members to be comfortable here, especially the new ones. learn, grow and them contribute.

Maybe we forget that not everyone knows all there is to know, or so it seems.

This is the third (I think) site, of Kev's that I've been on (evolving), and I'll be the first to admit, I can't remember what I posted on which one.

I'll also admit That I can barely log on to a site, much less use the search correctly, all the time.

So if you are bothered my a DA post...Move on to one you wish to contribute to.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep - that is a pretty good list of most of the stuff I was looking for when I searched for a survivalist forum. Sadly, I am starting to get the impression that we newbs aren't allowed to broach those subjects if they have already been discussed before.

Maybe I am in the wrong forum.
I just joined this board and I posted a very newbie question (that i am new to firearms ownership and what could I hunt with my firearms). Almost all the responses were very positive and extremely helpful. And there was no flaming at all. Anyway I enjoy this board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts