Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who has only about 5 acres of land so doesn't have enough to grow their own firewood was talking to me yesterday about how the cost of firewood is going up. I went online and found this. It looks like for those people who have to buy their firewood, this year may be a bit more expensive.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9318695

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Firewood has been steadily going up for the last few years. Watch what you are buying also. Some firewood dealers will slip in some soft wood and they will also cheat you on quantity. A rick is 2' wide 8' long and 4' high. A cord is two ricks. Beware of the face cord. They will most likely be cut 16 to 20 inches long instead of the 24 because most stoves won't take a 2' piece of firewood.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Buying a face is fine as long as you know it IS a face cord and pay a fair price for it. In fact, I prefer it as it is easier to handle and the pieces are already stove size.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never had to buy firewood because I own a large forested area. i have brought home truckloads of broken pallets when I could get them for free, but never paid for it. It just worry about people who are thinking of switching over to firewood who don't own more than a few acres of land. It must be hard to try and figure out the best way to stay warm in the winter when even the basics like firewood is becoming more expensive. I'm not saying anything bad about people who seel firewood. They have to make a living too, so they are doing what they need to do (as long as they're honest). I just had never thought of what people go through that have to pay for their firewood.

Tury

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad I don't have to buy any. Just built a home on a big farm with several other houses going up onto thick, wooded lots. After the clearing of the wooded timber, I have negotiated with the land owners, who don't feel like messing with the trees, that I be allowed to clean up what I wanted before they hauled if all away. I'm in business for quite a long time and the Farm Boss has gotten a good workout over the summer and will continue throughout the winter. Last tree I dismantled was a big White Oak that was 24" through the base and pushing 80 ft tall. I got a goat load of wood out of it and the large limbs.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
The biggest worry is people turning to wood who have no idea what they are doing and burning their house and maybe themselves up in the process. I'm going to suplement with wood this winter and have got a lot of good info fromhttp://hearth.com. They have a huge base of info and a great forum for questions.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i haven't noticed a price increase but then i get all the firewood i want for free and its delivered. but thats cause its given away all the time in my area and two of the survivalists in our group go runnin around collecting for us all i have to do is stack it in the garage we get a lot from craigslist if that helps anyone who needs to get wood.

·
Banned
317 Posts
When I first moved here in 2000 it was $95.00 a cord and now is at $185.00.

Lucky for me the forest is my backyard so that I don't have to buy any.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have a parcel of land that is separate by a few miles from the parcel of land that my home is located on. i have had more people approach me about harvesting trees for firewood this year than i can believe...and offering incredible prices...i was shocked to say the least and thankful that i do not have to pay for my wood...for the first time in many years i can almost justify all of the time that i spend every year cutting wood...shhh but dont tell anyone i actually enjoy cutting wood as well as the whole ritual of chopping kindling for my fire...in fact it is one of the greatest daily pleasures of my life...weird

·
Registered
100 Posts
Normally I go to the state forest department and get a permit for firewood so that I can have a little extra wood for the year. Usually they have them available most months out of the year for a nominal fee. You just need a truck, a chain saw, and some back breaking labor to get a couple cords of wood. I went this afternoon after work, and was told that they were out for now. On Thursday they would have more, but I would have to show up early and stand in line. So many people have been asking for permits, that they assume that they would be out as soon as they opened. I was advised to show up before they opened so that I could stand in line at the door. :( Good thing that I have alternate methods of getting wood.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have been really lucky for the last two years. TVA, the Tennessee Valley Authority, has been widening power line right of ways in my area including my farm. I probably have enough wood cut for the next couple years. All I have to do is pick it up, split it and stack it. I personally like cutting wood. It keeps me in shape and saves me some money when I burn it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Firewood has been steadily going up for the last few years. Watch what you are buying also. Some firewood dealers will slip in some soft wood and they will also cheat you on quantity. A rick is 2' wide 8' long and 4' high. A cord is two ricks. Beware of the face cord. They will most likely be cut 16 to 20 inches long instead of the 24 because most stoves won't take a 2' piece of firewood.
A Rick is 2 to a cord, cut 24". Face cords are 16" cut. 3 face cords to a full cord. This should be solid. No gaps to speak of. Tightly stacked. I agree, beware. Always check the cut length. I have a regular guy who delivers it for me every year and he has shorted me once. The tape measure does not lie. I don't want to make a big deal out of it because of it being delivered and it is good wood. Shorted just a little, but, nevertheless. I get his best price. He kinda has me by the ass in a way.
flea

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another good way to get some wood is find a woods that's getting logged. My Dad had 200 trees cut out of his big woods two years ago. My brother and me have been cutting on the tops since. Nice thing about limb wood is there isn't a whole lot of splitting. Some folks might be happy to let you clean up the mess.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Here is San Antonio you can go down to the waste management office and they have map of the city that has what sections will be doing brush pickup ( you know where people throw out all the extra trash they have and the big trucks come haul it off) well I find that city folks as a rule dont seem to care what kind of wood they are throwing out, I mean Ive seen whole trees they have cut down on the side of the road waiting for pickup, I like misquite and pecan myself, but they also tend to toss out the oak as well, all it takes is you driving up in your truck before trash pickup and grabbing what ya want, soetimes you need to cut some pieces down to size but hey its free.

Free is good:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts