Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm getting an m44 for capitalist santa day, and I need to clean all that wonderful preservative off of it known as cosmoline. I know that paint thinner (mineral spirits) will work well on the parts and action, and I have brake cleaner as well. My question is wether or not those two could be used on the chamber and bore as well? Should I get somethign like Break Free for the bore and chamber or will the thinner and or brake cleaner work?

The stock has already been cleaned up for me, so I don't have anything to worry about, but does anyone have any suggestions for the sling, ammo pouch, or oil bottle?

Anything else I should know? This is my frist cosmo removal...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I used Gun Scrubber when cleaning up a bunch of SKSs that had been packed in that crap. I sprayed it all over everything with no ill effects.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used brake cleaner and a few cans of Guns Scrubber to get the majority of cosmoloine off. Gun Scrubber LINK
It is made for guns and will not harm the blueing.

You can also use an old metal pot and add a bit of dishwashing liquid and boil them. This will melt it off and when you take them out they will be hot enough to evaporate the water.

Can't help you with the sling and pouch, maybe clean most of the cosmoline off with brake cleaner and then use hot water and dishwashing liquid (as a degreaser) to finish it up.

So you getting a Mosin Nagant? I watched "Enemy at the Gates" and was curious about what rifle was used because I noticed they used stripper clips. It turns out it was a Mosin and I couldn't believe that a rifle that is so affordable today was used as sniper rifle.

This one guy on Youtube hit a target at something like 800 yards and it had a 20 ft. bullet drop he had to account for. Here is the vid of him hitting a 24" target at 640 yards with a 13 1/2 fotot bullet drop:

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
put them in hot water to soak it off then scrub them then put back in CLEAN hot water then take out dry and oil works fot metal parts thats how i cleaned my m44 and no sticky bolt.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I couldn't believe that a rifle that is so affordable today was used as sniper rifle.
Surplus is always cheap 60 years later, it was expensive to produce for the Soviets at the time....'cept we paid for a good many of them believe it or not.
The Mosins are a good sniper platform.
Not minute of fly scrotum at 1000 yards like a new M40 or some $4000 custom but they sure did the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts