Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am about to start stockpiling some 7.62 x 39 and there are alot of good deals to be had. Just wanted some input on corrosive vs non-corrosive ammo for stockpiling, any problems that might occur, and any advantages and disadvantages for both types of ammo. Thanks

·
Bear Magnet
3,865 Posts
The corrosive commie stuff is corrosive because of a salt used in the primer. Perchlorate of mercury. On the plus side, they are extremly reliable. They always go bang.
The salt residue from the primers stays in your barrel and gas system attracting moisture. Rust.
I use windex in my Mosins and especially my M-39s. They were unissued when I bought them and still look like it.
Don't delay after a range session. Take some with you and immediately swab your bore, chamber and clean the gas system and you'll be fine.
You'll know if you have the older primers 'cause your rifle will smell like a cat ****ed down your barrel.:eek:

Welcome to Wyoming.:D:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I learned the hard way. Didn't clean my AK 74 after the range. Left it in my safe for 3 days. Cleaned it and saw rust spots on my barrel, piston, gas tube, chamber, inside my receiver, and so on.

After that time 5 years ago, I used windex, soaked rifle in the bath tub, and then use an air compressor to blow dry every part of the rifle and then lube. This worked fine but to labor intensive to ensure no rust forms. May not have to be this extensive but I did it to prevent the rust. Reminds me of the work to clean an AR.

Now, I dont bother with corrosive ammo. I just buy Tula, hornandy and silver bear non-corrosive. I'm not that cheap enough to buy corrosive. I have more money than time. To me the savings isn't worth the time. Just use non-corrosive and clean the AK for 10 minutes or less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
so i shoot corrosive and sometimes don't clean it. Maybe shoot 5 rounds off and then it sits for a month. what are the dangers ? my climate is very dry and i once poured boiling water down the barrel, left it for a day and it was rusty. so i cleaned it out as best as i could. will my gun be less accurate ? does it create enough friction to heat and warp the barrel ? i know some of these types of rifles have stainless lined barrels mine doesn't. any information is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
I dont shoot corrosive ammo regularly, Id rather not worry about cleaning them the instant I get home.

Reminds me of a few range trips back, my friend asked me to bring out my Rem 700. I told him he could shoot it all day long as long as he brought/bought ammo, as I dont really stock for 308.

He brought this corrosive stuff he picked up from a local gun shop. Worst part is he didnt even get a good price. I didnt even take my gun out of the case before I told him, "Dude were shootin pistols today, cuz theres no way that garbage is touching my rifle".

We shot pistols for a while and then he ended up buying 40 rounds from the range we were at and he still had some fun.

Anyways, i have shot corrosive ammo before, but only out of the saigas... and not regularly.

Steel case and corrosive never touch the rest of my guns.

As for stockpiling, unless you are carrying a bottle of ammonia around and actually enjoy cleaning your guns I wouldnt do it for any long term survival situation.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that sounds like a huge pain to maintain your weapon, especially when there are so many other choices available nowadays. Think I will stick with the non-corrosive. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
633 Posts
so i shoot corrosive and sometimes don't clean it. Maybe shoot 5 rounds off and then it sits for a month. what are the dangers ? my climate is very dry and i once poured boiling water down the barrel, left it for a day and it was rusty. so i cleaned it out as best as i could. will my gun be less accurate ? does it create enough friction to heat and warp the barrel ? i know some of these types of rifles have stainless lined barrels mine doesn't. any information is greatly appreciated. thanks
Yes, rust damage in a barrel can equate to diminished accuracy. Especially if it damages the chamber, throat area, and the crown. The barrels are not lined with stainless steel but chromed. These chromed barrels are great for use with corrosive ammo! AK's are the easiest weapons that i am aware of to clean up after shooting corrosive ammo. All the parts disassemble easily and clean up easily aswell. A lil maintenance goes a long way!

-Nate

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Corrosive ammo is no big deal if you'll rinse out the salts after firing. Doesn't even take anything fancy like Windex or soapy water. Just plain ol' water will do. It's the water in Windex that is rinsing the salts anyway.

Personally, I prefer not to store it for SHTF when I might not get the chance to rinse the salts regularly. But I don't mind shooting it a bit, because I clean it immediately afterwards.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, rust damage in a barrel can equate to diminished accuracy. Especially if it damages the chamber, throat area, and the crown. The barrels are not lined with stainless steel but chromed. These chromed barrels are great for use with corrosive ammo! AK's are the easiest weapons that i am aware of to clean up after shooting corrosive ammo. All the parts disassemble easily and clean up easily aswell. A lil maintenance goes a long way!

-Nate
I am crazy meticulous when it comes to cleaning my weapons but I haven't really found a significant price difference if any at all between the two. I guess originally I was think the non-corrosive would save me some $$ but it doesn't really appear that way. Black bear ammo is non-corrosive correct?

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
You do save alot shooting corrosive ammo at least in my case 7.62x54r you do.

440 rounds of tula would cost me around $195.00

Were 440 rounds of the tin can corrosive stuff could be had for $80.00 and less.

If you worry so much about rust, with the money you save buy some spare parts for your rig......

Just a placebic feeling imho, because ive never had issues shooting corrosive stuff

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I am crazy meticulous when it comes to cleaning my weapons but I haven't really found a significant price difference if any at all between the two. I guess originally I was think the non-corrosive would save me some $$ but it doesn't really appear that way. Black bear ammo is non-corrosive correct?
brown and silver bear, tulammo, and Ulyvosk...(spelling) are all non-corrosive...BUT they are all metal and WILL attract a magnet. That means that you can't fire at most indoor ranges. That's the big difference. I have lots of ULY, but I'm going to pick up a few cases of Yugo corrosive ammo as well, so I can shoot at the range.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You do save alot shooting corrosive ammo at least in my case 7.62x54r you do.

440 rounds of tula would cost me around $195.00

Were 440 rounds of the tin can corrosive stuff could be had for $80.00 and less.

If you worry so much about rust, with the money you save buy some spare parts for your rig......

Just a placebic feeling imho, because ive never had issues shooting corrosive stuff
Well yeah but thats because that ammo is not made in large quantities anymore. I dont shoot that round but it seems that in 7.62x39 for the same price I can get 1200 rounds of non or 1360 rounds of corrosive. 160 rounds isn't enough of a difference for me to be worth the extra hassle.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a huge pain to maintain your weapon, especially when there are so many other choices available nowadays. Think I will stick with the non-corrosive. Thanks for all the comments.
after shooting corrosive i just pour some water down my barrel after shooting...not so hard.....water washes salts away

i clean my guns 1-2 days after I shoot

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Cheap corrosive ammo is alot of fun. It's a snap to clean old WWII bolt action rifles. It's more of a pain with semi-auto guns.

The corrosive ammo is only 5% or so cheaper when buying bulk online. It ain't worth the bother.

I know plenty of people who have shot decnet quantities of 30+ year old non-corrosive ammunition with zero problems.

IF for some reason you do find a great deal on corrosive ammo, I'd pick it up. For the money it saves, if bought that cheap, the cleaning is worth it.

I still clean my gun afterwards. MY mom's side of the family grew up in a communist county. They shot AMD-65's, SKS, mausers, and Mosin's as part of their required military service. They cleaned them inside and out when done.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,764 Posts
In a crisis, id shoot what ever i had. But right now I don't have to.

I agree that cleaning a bolt gun is easy. But I'm very reluctant to shoot corrosive out of a semi auto.
In fact, I don't stock or shoot corrosive, or steel case, or fmj ammo out of my guns today. I load my own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.