Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never purchased corrosive ammo, however I am considering getting a case of M67 because its so cheap and plentiful right now. I have heard alot of varying opinions on how to clean weapons after using corrosive ammo. One of the reasons I went with the AK platform is its ability to keep running without being meticulously cleaned.

Do you guys stock/cache this corrosive ammo. I know most of the AK74 ammo is corrosive. How much do you have to break down your AK and how quickly do you have to clean it after use? What do you use?

I dont want to ruin my weapons, but i also want to stock as much ammo as I can afford and right now corrosive is the most affordable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i use crosive ammo in my AK's regularly. i spray them down with window cleaner at the range, and clean as i usuly would at home. i use window cleaner cause i carry it in the car already, water would work as well.

remember that all those surplus rifles all used corrosive ammo, adn aer still on the range today, the stuff will not damage your weapons if you clean them.

·
Liberty or Death
151 Posts
Clean everything with either hot soapy water or windex, then regular gun cleaner as soon as you can after you fire it. ESPECIALLY the gas tube and barrel.

I have a crate of 1,140 or something around that number of "mildly" corrosive 7.62x39 incase the SHTF. If you need your weapon, and that much ammo, corrosive ammunition is going to be the least of your worries. Just clean your weapon after. Remember, the Russian military still uses corrosive ammunition.

Every now and then I'll fire corrosive ammo. Just thoroughly clean it. Hoppes NO. 9 alone isn't enough. Remember, windex or hot soapy water. (Probably doesn't even have to be hot water.)

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I don't mind shooting corrosive ammo for practice (I also shoot real black powder), because I clean thoroughly when I get home. The corrosive salts are water soluble, so they're pretty easy to flush out.

I don't want it as SHTF ammo though. Who knows what things will be like then. If one is on foot, it may be "fire a few shots then scoot" without time for proper cleaning. AKs have chromed parts specifically for this reason, but the non chromed ones will begin to rust in short order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

I believe most AK's have chrome bore's and are somewhat impervious to corrosive ammo. I know my 1989 vintage Norinco is.

Cleaning afterwards for an AK is a fairly straight forward affair (as opposed to an AR) and really quick.

Somewhat funny/interesting sidestory on Corrosive Ammo, I have a fairly decent long arms collection including a few SKS's (also chrome bore). I must have put away one of my Chi-Com models years ago without cleaning it. Earlier this year, my future son in law commented on wanting to start shooting. I decided to give him this old SKS I have had for many years and pulled it out of the safe. Uggghhhh the action was almost glued shut! After some forcing I got the weapon apart and found it caked/gooed with ick from ammo.

After a serious cleaning, the only "damage" was some minor pitting in the area of the trigger group plate and reciever cover. The bore was fine and it still shoot's a tight group at 100 yards with no issues at all.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Clean everything with either hot soapy water or windex, then regular gun cleaner as soon as you can after you fire it. ESPECIALLY the gas tube and barrel.

I have a crate of 1,140 or something around that number of "mildly" corrosive 7.62x39 incase the SHTF. If you need your weapon, and that much ammo, corrosive ammunition is going to be the least of your worries. Just clean your weapon after. Remember, the Russian military still uses corrosive ammunition.

Every now and then I'll fire corrosive ammo. Just thoroughly clean it. Hoppes NO. 9 alone isn't enough. Remember, windex or hot soapy water. (Probably doesn't even have to be hot water.)
Pierpont,

Just a word of caution concerning your ammo: There is no such thing as "Mildly Corrosive" when it comes to ammunition. It's either "Corrosive" or Non Corrosive".

Its like saying "A little bit pregnant". One is either pregnant or not pregnant, theres no in between.

Don't be fooled by a label someone put on the ammo you have and clean your guns accordingly after shooting that stuff.

·
Liberty or Death
151 Posts
Thesenator223,

Yeah, I think it was described as just the primer was corrosive when they said "mildly corrosive". Notice there were quotes in my previous post, because it does sound like a load of malarkey. But, believe me brother, anything with the word "corrosive" in it and I'm cleaning the weapon with hot soapy water.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Hi,

I believe most AK's have chrome bore's and are somewhat impervious to corrosive ammo. I know my 1989 vintage Norinco is.
So is the gas piston, thankfully. But the gas tube and a lot of other parts aren't. Corrosive ammo can be really bad in humid environments. I live in a dry climate, but when I was young and didn't know about corrosive ammo, I rotted the bore out of a gorgeous 8mm Mauser by not cleaning it after using surplus ammo. I had always reloaded my own ammo for it and didn't realize that surplus ammo was corrosive.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thesenator223,

Yeah, I think it was described as just the primer was corrosive when they said "mildly corrosive". Notice there were quotes in my previous post, because it does sound like a load of malarkey. But, believe me brother, anything with the word "corrosive" in it and I'm cleaning the weapon with hot soapy water.
Good, better safe than sorry. :thumb:

I'd like to find the actual person that originated that foolish saying "mildly corrosive".... the mercuric primer is THE ONLY THING in the ammo that contributes to whether or not ammo is corrosive and the priming compound in the 7.62x39 is no different than any of the other comblock milsurp ammo out there.....its all corrosive

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
IT is roughly the same price for non-corrosive ammunition. However, the Yugo has a full lead core and produces great wound profiles versus wolf FMJ or HP ammunition.

I stock up on cheap FMJ ammunition. However, I keep a roughly 10% supply of quality hunting grade ammunition for my rifle. I have hornady v-max plastic tipped loaded and and their bullet heads for reloading. However, in my BOB I keep sellier and bellot 123gr soft points. The cases are reloadable, which is a big plus.

I clean all my gun with soap and water now. A few passes of the brush while pouring removes any tiny bit of powder fouling in there in no time. 5 passes of the brush roughly equal 20 passes of brushes and patches. Professional armorers use this style of cleaning, maybe with fancier materials.

After cleaning with soap and water, I patch, then I spray alcohol based brake cleaner down the barrel and patch dry. The alocohol helps remove any traces of water. I then apply one or more ammonia based copper treatments, then apply either WD-40 for short term storage or mobil 1 motor oil for longer term storage.

Keep in mind the safety factor too. There are some nasty chemicals out there for gun cleaning. WD-40 and soap and water are extremely low on the list.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
Not a soft point

Is the Yugo ammo a softpoint? I've never used it before.
I have the Yugo head stamped 1985, they are 124-124 gr. FMJBT bullets. Made by Prvi. Like the AK-74 ammo, there is an air cavity just behind the point and it will cause the bullet to to to pitch on entry. It will do greater soft tissue damage than a standard AK round. Patch of ammonia and then clean as regular.

HH54r

Reactions: MikeK
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.