Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok survivalist forum members let's play a tabletop exercise game. I suspect this will take a dive off the deep end rather fast, but let's give it a try.

Coronavirus virus has been discovered in your city. Officials will shut the roads, schools, highways... everything down within the next 24 hours, what do you do?

The first thing that coems to mind is go to Wal-mart to get a few extra bags of rice and beans, but then again going into a densely populated store during the start of a viral outbreak is not a wise idea.

Second thought is to get my chickens some chicken feed and top off their feed barrels. This would ensure my family a fresh source of protein for several weeks. Maybe pick up 300 - 500 pounds of 13-13-13 fertilizer while I am at the feed store.

Fill up the tractor with diesel.

That is honestly about it. Maybe get some popcorn and beer.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts

Coronavirus virus has been discovered in your city. what do you do?
Stay home!

No "extra" crap from Wal-Mart or chicken feed is worth my life/exposure.

By all means, carry on with the thread, but anything you list you should go buy NOW.

Not wait till it's in your city.

That's like going shopping amoungst the zombie hords!

ETA:
TOMORROW I am topping off my only not full gas can, and buying a couple gal of cooking oil and vitamins (things with a relatively short shelf life.)

No last ice cream run is worth the exposure

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,555 Posts
I think we would be in the same boat. Chicken feed and horse feed. I have to drive past Walmart to get to Tractor Supply, so a quick glance at the parking lot will tell me if I am stopping in or not. Maybe top off the gas tank while I am there if things look civil.
Seems like for the past twenty years whenever I look at a Walmart parking lot it's always mostly full. Except from midnight to 5 am. I have shopped there just before 5 am and the only one in the checkout line. A lady had to come over and open a register even.

And I don't think I will do any shopping since on my mtn retreat I do have right now at least a two year supply of freeze dried, canned and bulk foods. Even maybe a one year supply of TP although rags will also work if needed.

I really doubt Wyoming will be affected too much by any viral epidemic and Wyoming and some other states should close the borders if possible. Although Interstate 80 is a main highway across the USA.

Even if I had 4 hours of warning I would get up to my remote mountain retreat even though there is at least six feet of snowpack up there as I can see from a snow survey station half a mile from my land.

I would also welcome a few to join me If they did not have anywhere else to ride out the storm of an epidemic, plague or whatever. Just send me a message while it is still possible.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I can get gas without any personal contact, so top off and then self-quarantine at home. I might go dig around in my storage unit a bit but I can get by without.

Oh, and quickly learn with do without liquid coffee creamer. I'll live, but if I run to Wal-Mart, well, as the bug is already in the city, and every sneezing hacking spitting yahoo in the county goes there.... yep, do without.

RR

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,835 Posts
I've got everything I need to last for 6 months except for dog food and chicken feed, but have enough to last 6 weeks on them then I could probably supplement rice and veggies for them another month or so. After that not for sure but hopefully it would be over by then.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,216 Posts
For the table top, one would need to ask the questions of if it hit would a lot of people not go to work? If so what essential services would suffer like water supply or medical and what gaps does that create? What do I need to do now to minimize direct contact with others later?

As preppers should be ready to not leave the property for a few weeks. Some recommendations of things other than food and feed that would minimize contact later would be to top off fuel tanks and cans to include propane; get extra cash from the ATM; protective stuff like hand sanitizer, masks, rubber gloves; fill prescriptions; a little extra of things with a shorter shelf life such as bleach and vitamins that were mentioned; and to a risk/benefit look at picking up comfort foods like frozen pizza or shrimp for grits or soft drinks, etc. your mileage may vary.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,835 Posts
For the table top, one would need to ask the questions of if it hit would a lot of people not go to work? If so what essential services would suffer like water supply or medical and what gaps does that create? What do I need to do now to minimize direct contact with others later?

As preppers should be ready to not leave the property for a few weeks. Some recommendations of things other than food and feed that would minimize contact later would be to top off fuel tanks and cans to include propane; get extra cash from the ATM; protective stuff like hand sanitizer, masks, rubber gloves; fill prescriptions; a little extra of things with a shorter shelf life such as bleach and vitamins that were mentioned; and to a risk/benefit look at picking up comfort foods like frozen pizza or shrimp for grits or soft drinks, etc. your mileage may vary.
Hon, FYI, most of us when we say we've got enough to last for up to 6 months or so, we're not talking just food and feed. But for those who are new, yes, you would need to have all of that.

As for not going to work, we see what it has done to China, if it starts hitting other cities here in the states that bad then I would say yes, I would not go into work if it has hit my state that bad because you would know for a fact it will hit sooner or later in your area. I would say the second you hear of 1 person in your state then I would immediately stop going to work but since I am disabled and stay at home anyway I have the luxury of being able to say that. It's up to each individual what they do.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have a weird worry. I get a bill every month (gas, electricity, water) and pay it by check, sent through the mail. I know how much to pay from the bill I get. Is it safe to touch a bill which was touched by goodness knows how many people before it reached me? I'm planning a massive shopping trip this weekend. I've put money aside for this (over the course of almost a year) and Hubby doesn't know what I'll be doing. I hope. Keeping that restless guy occupied and in the house, even if we have a plague attack, is going to be hard. Don't forget to pick up a few amusements: books to read for pleasure, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, whatever you like.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,835 Posts
I have a weird worry. I get a bill every month (gas, electricity, water) and pay it by check, sent through the mail. I know how much to pay from the bill I get. Is it safe to touch a bill which was touched by goodness knows how many people before it reached me? I'm planning a massive shopping trip this weekend. I've put money aside for this (over the course of almost a year) and Hubby doesn't know what I'll be doing. I hope. Keeping that restless guy occupied and in the house, even if we have a plague attack, is going to be hard. Don't forget to pick up a few amusements: books to read for pleasure, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, whatever you like.
Hon, those are not weird worries those are legitimate worries. I get my bills by email and I pay my bills online because i've had that certain worry for several years. When it comes to handling money during the flu season I spray my paper money with Lysol and then let them dry out.

Is that overkill, yes it is but since I have autoimmune diseases I can catch a cold which can put me in the hospital quicker than you can say scat. If this Coronavirus was to hit here and I get it according to my dr I have about an 85 to 90% chance of dying. So, if it's overkill I don't care.

As for your husband all I can say is I feel for ya but if he can't understand that going outside would/could potentially kill him and/or you and your children then you do have a problem on your hands and all I can say on that is i'll pray for you.

·
Republic of Texas
1,237 Posts
Easy fix. Paperless bills to your email and a dedicated debit card (I refuse to use my main card online) just for those bills. No human contact required at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
...Coronavirus virus has been discovered in your city. Officials will shut the roads, schools, highways... everything down within the next 24 hours, what do you do?
I interact with lots of people daily so my first thought would be "am I already exposed".
My son also interacts with hundreds daily so same thought for him.
The wife however is a homebody and rarely sees anyone. She also happens to have the weakest immune system in the family. So, assuming I am away from home when the announcement comes, I would quarantine from the wife for a few days just to prevent exposing her if I am contaminated. Son would get same treatment. If I have been home all day, no worries.

Likewise if I was out when the announcement came, I would make a stop for fuel because like mentioned I can do so without interaction. If I was already home, I would just stay home.

And the Coronavirus isn't 100% deadly, more like 4% so far. I have worse odds than that at work so I wouldn't go full CBRNE posture. Just avoid unnecessary contact.

The Walmart run would only happen if I was already out and we had a critical shortage of chocolate... wife quarantined without chocolate would be fate worse than death.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I read somewhere that you could let them sit for 5 days after which the “whatever” would be dead. I do not know that to be true... you still have to get the mail out of the mailbox. I guess if you toss your gloves in the laundry after you do it you’d be ok? But. You probably closed your front door to get to the mailbox and then touched it to get back inside with your contaminated gloves.
It gets pretty compicated.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
. So, assuming I am away from home when the announcement comes, I would quarantine from the wife for a few days just to prevent exposing her if I am contaminated. This is why education is important. Reading earlier: 2 weeks +
Likewise if I was out when the announcement came, I would make a stop for fuel because like mentioned I can do so without interaction. If I was already home, I would just stay home.

And the Coronavirus isn't 100% deadly, more like 4% so far. I have worse odds than that at work so I wouldn't go full CBRNE posture. Just avoid unnecessary contact.

Study posted earlier said 15%.

Personally I think that's high as there's gonna be mild cases that didn't make it to the hospital, but some of the links posted had fairly logical arguments as to why the death rate is higher than reported. (I didn't have a lot to do today.)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts