Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 2 5.7%
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if they get a vaccine are you going to take it? What about the anti vaccine people ,are they going to get rounded up? Just curious because we have a wide spectrum of people on this site.If it keeps going the way it is in China and comes here like that, I would defiantly get the shot. I didnt know which section to put it in.

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
706 Posts
Here's my question:

If, as according to what is reported so far, the patient's body does not produce antibodies against this virus even after infection and active disease process, thus allowing for immediate reinfection upon exposure, which is suggested to be happening...

... then how can an effective vaccine even be developed?

Isn't the point of the vaccine to stimulate the recipient's own autoimmune response?

If a person who has had the active illness doesn't produce antibodies to the pathogen... ???

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
IIRC the article from the company which had a vaccine in 3 hours, noted that said vaccine wouldn’t be available until this summer.

Seems really optimistic, yet plausible.

A lot can happen in the meantime tho.

Reactions: monkeystyle

·
Semper Fi
8,651 Posts
If it is true about the vaccine then the ONLY way that is possible is if this really is a bio-weapon and China provided the blueprints to the USA.

America isn't the only country working on this after all.

Given the reported ability to get reinfected perhaps it's not so much a vaccine in the normal sense as it is something that kills the virus. So you take it and you are "cured" but not protected.

Though of course standard medical disclaimers apply such as..."may cause death".

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,988 Posts
Saw an interview on Lou Dobbs yesterday where some seemingly important government person in the know (I'm sorry I cannot recall the person or position) said that they expect a vaccine in NOVEMBER 2020.

That's obviously after the elections, and 7 months away...

Not reassuring.

And I probably would be reluctant to take it until a few cycles - I'm not interested in being a beta tester.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Human trial are less than three months out
For sure I will take it
Even as a beta-tester if the FDA approves it
CDC is working directly with one company and four or more companies are working on it as well
Even if it like the flu shot, i.e. lessening chance of pneumonia/death
Count me in

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,433 Posts
Here's my question:

If, as according to what is reported so far, the patient's body does not produce antibodies against this virus even after infection and active disease process, thus allowing for immediate reinfection upon exposure, which is suggested to be happening...

... then how can an effective vaccine even be developed?

Isn't the point of the vaccine to stimulate the recipient's own autoimmune response?

If a person who has had the active illness doesn't produce antibodies to the pathogen... ???
In my opinion,

I doubt this is true. The human body must develop an immune response or it would not be able to kill the virus and there would be 100% death rate.

The relapse might simply be an opportunistic infection after the main disease weakens the body.

And if the virologists are saying they have a vaccine, I would tend to believe them since that is their profession.

Viruses can also return when you get older and weaker. Chicken Pox for example can come back as shingles.

And you can bet your sweet bippy, I will line up to get a vaccine when it comes out.

Also, with all the immuno-compromised people these days with the AIDs , who knows if these might not be the patients they are seeing the relapses in?

·
Suffering Your Stupidity
8,277 Posts
https://twitter.com/Beaubier/status/1228440022967373824

So - the #WHO renamed the #coronavirus as #SARSCoV2 which caused the disease #COVID19 -aka #SuperSARS The million dollar question : How long until they start talking about using the SARS vaccine they developed by never manufactured after 2003?

https://twitter.com/ServusViva/status/1228444231682940929

The SARS vaccine caused an enhanced immune response in hosts - aka it caused increased morbidity. I hope they don't.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

I get the flu shot each year.

They develop each year's flu shot based upon what they are seeing as being the strains of flu threats from Asia; and while they have been wrong with the flu shot a few times, most years, they are accurate and do a pretty good job with the vaccine.

As such, I do feel that there is a possibility that they could develop a coronavirus vaccine this year.

I they develop a coronavirus vaccine, I will be getting it.

·
?
2,200 Posts
I'd hold off getting it until I saw whether it was effective and how many people were damaged by the vaccine itself ...lots of issues with vaccine injury already which is why I'm choosy about the ones I get.

It's very much a theoretical question at this point since SARS and MERS vaccines are still investigational and those disease date back to 2002 and 2012 respectively.

·
?
2,200 Posts
Quote removed.
Personally, I do better without it. I stopped getting them after quitting working in dialysis in 2007. I was required to get them before then. The years the vaccine was actually based on the correct strain, I'd do fine until April when I'd get a hellacious bout of the flu. That hasn't happened since I quit getting flu shots. Have multiple autoimmue disorders and my theory is the vaccine jacks with my immune system ...protects for awhile, then sharply drops off similar to a diabetic's spike and subsequent drop in blood sugar.

There's no study I can cite to show this might happen in people with autoimmune disorders because Big Pharma isn't going to research complications in any susceptible group. Too much 'credibility' :rolleyes: to lose which would result in loss of big bucks to line their pockets and those of our Congress critters--pharmaceutical industry is #1 of all industries in lobbying dollars.

If there's ever a universal flu vaccine developed that will avoid the big misses in predicting the correct strain such as this year(and a good many others), I'd take it after watching to try to ascertain safety in others after several years.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
So if they get a vaccine are you going to take it? What about the anti vaccine people ,are they going to get rounded up? Just curious because we have a wide spectrum of people on this site.If it keeps going the way it is in China and comes here like that, I would defiantly get the shot. I didnt know which section to put it in.
My concern is reports of a worse 2nd infection with much higher complication rates. If the reactivation of the antibiodies causes an anaphalactic type response, then this is something that needs clarification for me. Otherwise yes.

·
Grevcon 10
12,996 Posts
In my opinion,

I doubt this is true. The human body must develop an immune response or it would not be able to kill the virus and there would be 100% death rate.

The relapse might simply be an opportunistic infection after the main disease weakens the body.

And if the virologists are saying they have a vaccine, I would tend to believe them since that is their profession.

Viruses can also return when you get older and weaker. Chicken Pox for example can come back as shingles.

And you can bet your sweet bippy, I will line up to get a vaccine when it comes out.

Also, with all the immuno-compromised people these days with the AIDs , who knows if these might not be the patients they are seeing the relapses in?
How long the antibodies stick around varies. Some diseases you'll keep those antibodies for a long time, others they're gone soon after you clear the infection. That's why you have to get booster shots for some vaccines. Clearly people are producing antibodies, but without sustaining specific antibodies between infections their body would stop being able to recognize the the virus soon after the immune response stopped having something to react to. The body would then have to relearn to identify the virus giving it a chance to establish again.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,433 Posts
How long the antibodies stick around varies. Some diseases you'll keep those antibodies for a long time, others they're gone soon after you clear the infection. That's why you have to get booster shots for some vaccines. Clearly people are producing antibodies, but without sustaining specific antibodies between infections their body would stop being able to recognize the the virus soon after the immune response stopped having something to react to. The body would then have to relearn to identify the virus giving it a chance to establish again.
I have a theory that immunity may function a lot like people's memory.
A traumatic threat to your life, like being almost killed by a tiger will be remembered 'till the day you die. But simply being punched in the arm for example, would be quickly forgotten.

Most simple cold viruses produce mild symptoms, so any immunity falls away quickly, because the immune system did not assign it a super high priority.

But a mutated corona virus that almost kills you may cause the immunity memory to assign it a much longer retention, even though it is in the same family as much less severe corona viruses.

Anyway, my point is still that given the newness of this new pathogen, the data simply isn't there to make bold declarations about how long or short the immunity will last.

I've heard a few people here say that "they have not yet come up with a vaccine for the common cold (corona virus), therefore there will be no vaccine for this corona virus". Well, the common cold is trivial enough that vaccine makers don't kill themselves making a vaccine because at worst the cold makes you feel a little crappy for a few days. Not a big deal. But it is a big deal for this virus, and they have already announced that vaccines have been developed and will be rolled out after testing.

Listening to the President of one of the US vaccine makers the other day was very encouraging.
He said that they have such a profound understanding of the virus, that they are deciding which aspect of its attachment and replication they wanted to disrupt .

Like listening to a martial arts expert decide which parts of you he is going to break and in what order.
He isn't wondering if he can beat you, but only wondering if he should break your knee first and then your elbow, or to simply crush your windpipe and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts