Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Coronavirus positive lady who lives an hours drive south of my location decided to leave her apartment, and was arrested. Since this article was posted on the local newspaper website, I think it has been determined she can be charged with a crime.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/...PD-Woman-who-tested-positive-for-15177617.php

A woman who said she tested positive for COVID-19 could face charges after she left her home at a Nederland apartment complex.

Emergency personnel were called to the Carriage House Apartments in the 1800 block of Nederland Ave. just after 9 p.m. after a woman had fallen, Police Chief Gary Porter said.

He said the woman, who was on the sidewalk and not quarantined in her apartment, told EMS she had tested positive for the virus.
I am sure this story will invoke strong reactions from both sides. A person will not be deprived of their liberty without due process of law. Then again, do we have time for the person to take the time to get a lawyer and "have her day on court?"

All the person had to do is stay inside for a few days and watch TV, play on the internet, read a book... whatever they wanted. But no, they had to go outside and endanger the general public.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We see this time and again. People not doing the right thing. The comedian who snuck back off the cruise ship. The positive guy who got on the plane. I think Colt said it early on “don’t trust the infected”.

We can only rely on ourselves, not others. Sad.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,316 Posts
Do we have the right to endanger others?
I have long believed that as human beings we all have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, however, your right to life is forfeited when you endanger my right to life (and again, not you or I personally just in general)

·
Banned
726 Posts
I don't see the problem here as far as due process go. If you commit a crime, then they charge you with it and take you to court, that is pretty much due process right there. There is no mention of them taking her and locking her away without a trial.

As for the argument that physically hurting people isn't a real crime? That is is total bull. I don't think anyone would actually say it in that way, but that is what is happening here. People knowingly spreading a disease are hurting people.

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts
This is nothing other than willful and reckless endangering of other people's lives. (Not criminal since i'm assuming she's not doing it to spread to others).

It contributes to the risk of healthcare not being able to cope. It spreads a potentially deadly disease to others. It contributes to first responders who are already struggling with PPE, to use up their supplies and endanger themselves AND those who they care for afterwards, to help this woman.

There's enough precedent in STD's already. If you are diagnosed, and engage in relations with someone without telling them, you can be convicted if you made people sick. She was diagnosed. She knew her condition. She knew she carries a potentially deadly disease. She went out anyway.

Guess we know which she thinks more of: her rights or the responsibility which comes with those rights. People like this is why more and more people are dying.

·
9,316 Posts
I thought we established a while ago that this was not the flu...
You are correct, though I must point out I don't think he was saying it is the flu. I think he was using the flu as a comparison to people walking freely among crowds and spreading it to them much like people are doing knowing they are infected with the C-Virus

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
A few counties over from me someone who was confirmed positive broke mandatory quarantine to get lunch from a pizza place.

I would very much like to see them quickly pass a federal law that if you have been tested positive for COVID-19 you are quarantined, and breaking that quarantine will result in jail time, hefty fines, and anything else they can throw at them. The should be publicly named and shamed.

For example, that guy that went to the pizza place, the pizza place should be able to sue them for whatever expenses they had to spend to clean the place, as well as any lost sales.

In other words, they need to make this very serious. If you are quarantined, you need to stay home.

Other countries have started to do this. In Italy, it's attempted murder. One other country (can't remember which... Iran? Russia?) will shoot you.

·
9,316 Posts
A few counties over from me someone who was confirmed positive broke mandatory quarantine to get lunch from a pizza place.

I would very much like to see them quickly pass a federal law that if you have been tested positive for COVID-19 you are quarantined, and breaking that quarantine will result in jail time, hefty fines, and anything else they can throw at them. The should be publicly named and shamed.

For example, that guy that went to the pizza place, the pizza place should be able to sue them for whatever expenses they had to spend to clean the place, as well as any lost sales.

In other words, they need to make this very serious. If you are quarantined, you need to stay home.

Other countries have started to do this. In Italy, it's attempted murder. One other country (can't remember which... Iran? Russia?) will shoot you.
Although for public safety I agree with this we must be reminded that when we allow them to do such it will be easier for them to insert any condition they wish to do the same to us later. So we must be very careful with what freedoms we give to the government because they seem to forget it is us that they are beholden to and not the other way around.

·
Banned
726 Posts
I am pretty sure if you have the flu and knowingly spread it, that is a crime as well. People generally look the other way because most people don't spread it on purpose and it isn't that deadly. I am pretty sure if you have the flu and just walk up and sneeze in someone's face you will get arrested and charged though. Probably first for assault, then for whatever laws they got on the books for spreading diseases.

·
Retired kafir
17,644 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,327 Posts
I am pretty sure if you have the flu and knowingly spread it, that is a crime as well. People generally look the other way because most people don't spread it on purpose and it isn't that deadly. I am pretty sure if you have the flu and just walk up and sneeze in someone's face you will get arrested and charged though. Probably first for assault, then for whatever laws they got on the books for spreading diseases.
Can you show a case where that has happened? It would be a first to some lawyers and police I know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ghost863

·
Super Moderator
14,327 Posts
You are correct, though I must point out I don't think he was saying it is the flu. I think he was using the flu as a comparison to people walking freely among crowds and spreading it to them much like people are doing knowing they are infected with the C-Virus
You are correct.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,794 Posts
Well, as for "court dates" , in my state those are on hold. I do think due process is going to happen since you're charged with a crime; plenty of folks get charged and held after all. Taking into account how contagious this is and for a very long time; I think it is absurd to venture out around other folks knowing you have it.

I think it should be criminal , because no way around it you're at the very least endangering others even possibly costing lives.

WHY is it so hard for folks to stay at home for a few weeks? I mean when you know you're infected what on Earth is SO important to knowing risk other's lives?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts