Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people cooking while in Coronavirus lockdown?

I just fixed my wife a grilled cheese sandwich, and I had a spam, mayo and cheese sandwich. Last week I told my wife I wanted something cooked with a bag of baby lima beans.

We have been cooking a more at home, but simple meals such as hot dogs, beans and rice, BLTs... etc.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,307 Posts
We are doing a lot of Ekrich cheddar sausages on whole wheat buns for him. Also Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls for him.

I am trying to stay out of the snacks.

Reactions: Cherry and OldSoul

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Tonight it was smoked turkey, gravy, fruit salad, twice baked potatoes, roasted cauliflower and rum cake and deviled eggs.

All from stored food. Last shopping trip was three weeks ago. Didn't actually plan any of this then, just stuff I had from last winter since when it comes to things like turkey's etc why ever buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?

Cleaning up right now. Turkey carcass is in the pot for soup.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We’re. Even hitting the food banks as to not deplete our supplies and the food are mostly breakfast/ cheap fast food quality. But the milks are good to build up immune system in case we get sick.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
What are people cooking while in Coronavirus lockdown?...
Propane is probably going to be a problem for me; affects all cooking.

Broke open one of the MRE bags I had stored. One(1) Tabasco bottle was dried out; the Hash Brown with Bacon tasted a little bit off, but I did not get sick.

Went to a Pizza Joint and ordered a large pizza for a single person. I vacuum sealed the individual slices as soon as it was cool enough to not distort the plastic of the bags. This might be the best idea that I have ever had! Heated the slices with a bit of water in my non-stick frying pan; results were amazing.

There are bottles of milk, with different packaging, that are one(1) quart in size and look like they are wrapped. I bought several of them, and I have been drinking them with things like chocolate and other sweets. Not cooking, but it can make a meal.

I went out to Golden Valley for Fish and Chips To-Go tonight; no cooking involved.

Tomorrow I plan to cook a small pizza, with scratch made crust, and some wings on the propane grill to maximize the useage of propane.

Kinda looking forward to tomorrow night, will throw some beers into the freezer as well.:thumb:

·
Forum Administrator
5,941 Posts

I just fixed my wife a grilled cheese sandwich, and I had a spam, mayo and cheese sandwich. Last week I told my wife I wanted something cooked with a bag of baby lima beans.

We have been cooking a more at home, but simple meals such as hot dogs, beans and rice, BLTs... etc.
Sometimes I don't get you Boss man. Prepping done right means NO difference in food except it takes longer to prepare. Seriously. Look at Aerindel's post above this. I have not been to a store in a couple of weeks now and we are eating better than normal because it is all scratch made. A few nights ago I made potato crusted Cod steaks with saffron rice and a fresh salad.
Freezer, dried food, and spring greens. This is all prep food. Yeah, fish will run out but, until then.......
Last night we had Bean soup with shoulder bacon and homemade soft pretzels. Tonight was clam chowder... and we have yet to rely on cans yet.

The stable fresh vegetables I posted in a thread of mine a few pages ago, lists what sticks around to enable us to keep on keeping on and limiting exposure.
And Spring is here and some things are coming along now. Get with it man, you are way behind.

I could make a scratch made wanton soup without any fresh ingredients. I have pics on my old thread about preps. Serious. You can make damn near anything from stored food. When the freezer is empty there will be no medium rare rib eye but, you can make an epic steamed dumpling with canned ground pork, placed on a white wine butter reduction with a side of home canned carrot salad. A starch of yellow rice or even some crusty bread. All from preps and easily done. There are no limits. If you want cream cheese or mozzarella, you have to make it from dried milk..... If you need tomato puree, you first make it from tomato powder. recipes never change, you just have to make the ingredients first. Nothing else changes.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Sometimes I don't get you Boss man. Prepping done right means NO difference in food except it takes longer to prepare...
Any item takes space; not everyone has infinite space to store items.:cool:

Sometimes, trying to store items in a specific space goes horribly wrong.:upsidedown:

Got another two(2) meals by getting out for a To-Go offer; and only eating half tonight.:D:

·
Forum Administrator
5,941 Posts

Sometimes, trying to store items in a specific space goes horribly wrong.:upsidedown:

Got another two(2) meals by getting out for a To-Go offer; and only eating half tonight.:D:
I will bet, I have no more storage space than you and I will also bet, Kev has more space than both of us put together. 3 months of food is not a hindrance to anyone.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts

Made a thanksgiving dinner with an FFA turkey that we had frozen
Made turkey tortilla soup, turkey and sausage gumbo, turkey pot pie
pumpkin pie, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy
Made cinnamon rolls for the first time
made bread for the first time in like 25 years.
Made fresh pico
prime rib roast
brisket
beef stew from the brisket flat
smoothies for the kids
Did make beans and franks
Making tamales this week

My wife has also cooked a bunch of stuff, but she generally cycles through the same recipes. I rarely cook anymore, but working from home has me cooking a lot.

·
Work in progress
849 Posts
Tonight, chicken parmigiana.
Have made stew.
Baked a chicken and used some of the leftovers for chicken salads the rest turned into chicken noodle soup— froze some of the soup of later.
Made a gallon pot of baked beans from scratch, starting with dried beans.
Meat loaf
Shepard’s Pie
Baked cod
Hotdogs
Hamburgers
Grilled cheese and soup

Not any different than usual here

·
Banned
14,721 Posts
My routine for years is generally several big meals that last a few days, and rotating thru leftovers, and then changing it up with some snacks or simple 1 service meals.

The menu here:
* Stir fry or cook meat (chicken, steak, shrimp) with veggies and then add one of several types of Indian sauce and cooked rice. Excellent. Only missing the Nan bread... :(

* Crock pot meals like beef stew and chilli last for days. Beef or chicken, assorted beans and lentles, veggies, spices. Simple.

* Mexican dishes, like tacos, chips and salsa, burritos, etc.

* Italian like spaghetti and lasagna. I forgot the garlic break though... :(

* Grilled steaks, fish, chicken, shrimp, pork chops.

* Eggs in every manner.

* Sandwiches. Ran out of 2lbs of roast beef recently. Made a couple of tuna fish sandwiches. Add lettuce and cheese.

* Sausages, bacon, brats.

* Pizza. Home made, frozen, or take n bake.

* Lots of snacks - pickles, summer sausage, pepperonis, protein bars and drinks, cheese and crackers, sardines and crackers.

* Potatoes in many ways.

* Soups. Had some really good clam chowder a few times.

* Fruits and veggies as much as I can. Bananas, apples, dates, pineapple, peaches, oranges, tomatoes, corn, beans, lettuce, avocado, etc. Try to add something either in my meal or as a snack.

I'm eating just fine with little change in my diet really. Just cut out a handful of eating out weekly meals in the big picture...

·
Registered
9,587 Posts

Most people don't have much storage space. Thats why we aren't like most people right?? Most people are not preppers. Most people can't do the things we can do....because they act like most people.

Don't be like most people.

·
Banned
514 Posts
A week's worth of chicken chili in the slow cooker. Dried beans enough for six months. About the same amount of rice and potatoes. I'm not going to the grocery store again unless I have to. Saw an interview with a doctor on TV and he said that when people die of COVID19 it's because the muscles that cause you to breathe get so tired that they won't work anymore and you suffocate. Even if you survive you can have heart and lung damage. Dang, I can't think of a worse way to die. Just struggling for every breath until your chest won't move anymore. Ain't afraid to say that the interview scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Most people don't have much storage space. Thats why we aren't like most people right?? Most people are not preppers. Most people can't do the things we can do....because they act like most people.

Don't be like most people.
I had several months worth of food stored when I lived in a 224 sqft travel trailer. (With A tiny electric/propane fridge/freezer)

Back then I got down to grocery shopping (or leaving the property at all) 1x every 3 weeks while living off grid on it's ~300W of solar, so it's easy to estimate.

Diet:
Jambalaya, eggs, bacon, smoked meats, funnel cake, cornbread, Cuban black beans and rice, Tacos, burritos, spaghetti, steak, pork chops, soups, red beans and rice with smoked sausage, sandwiches, French toast, home made French fries, popcorn, fresh fruit, vegies, brownies, cerial etc. Normal diet. 6 weeks since last grocery run.

Easter meal will be pot roast on a bed of rice, green peas, French bread, fruit cocktail (mix of fresh and canned) and a fresh garden salad. Don't know if I'll bake a cake or just have chocolate for desert.

This 'event' has truly been illuminating as to the sad state of preparedness amongst 'preppers'.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Well, we've had roast in the slow cooker, tacos, spaghetti, sandwiches, eggs and toast and frozen TV dinners. Its just the wife and I since the kid is still in college (she'll be done May 3rd and back home for the summer) we don't really cook meals all that much, we eat mainly frozen dinners etc

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,292 Posts
We're eating like we always have.

But maybe a little too good, as my jeans were hard to get buttoned up
yesterday.

They were trying to tell me something.:D:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sometimes I don't get you Boss man. Prepping done right means NO difference in food except it takes longer to prepare. Seriously. Look at Aerindel's post above this. I have not been to a store in a couple of weeks now and we are eating better than normal because it is all scratch made. A few nights ago I made potato crusted Cod steaks with saffron rice and a fresh salad.
Freezer, dried food, and spring greens. This is all prep food. Yeah, fish will run out but, until then.......
Last night we had Bean soup with shoulder bacon and homemade soft pretzels. Tonight was clam chowder... and we have yet to rely on cans yet.

The stable fresh vegetables I posted in a thread of mine a few pages ago, lists what sticks around to enable us to keep on keeping on and limiting exposure.
And Spring is here and some things are coming along now. Get with it man, you are way behind.

I could make a scratch made wanton soup without any fresh ingredients. I have pics on my old thread about preps. Serious. You can make damn near anything from stored food. When the freezer is empty there will be no medium rare rib eye but, you can make an epic steamed dumpling with canned ground pork, placed on a white wine butter reduction with a side of home canned carrot salad. A starch of yellow rice or even some crusty bread. All from preps and easily done. There are no limits. If you want cream cheese or mozzarella, you have to make it from dried milk..... If you need tomato puree, you first make it from tomato powder. recipes never change, you just have to make the ingredients first. Nothing else changes.
home canned carrot salad.?????

MAY I have a little more information please

1 - 20 of 65 Posts