Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is on lockdown? How are you dealing with cabin fever?

Since to work in the petrochemical industry so I continue to go to work everyday. However, my wife is home on lockdown. She is starting to face depression from having to stay home. I imagine there are maybe millions of people out there who are locked in their homes and have had very little human contact over the past few months.

How are you dealing with cabin fever during the Coronavirus lockdown?

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
I'm still working too (shipper/receiver/order prep), but my wife and teenaged son are stuck working and doing school from home and don't get out much these days. They walk the dogs on our street, go for jogs, and we made some trails through the bush on our property a few years back so there's always a the option of a woods walk to reset your mind. They are both holding up well, all things considered.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My husband goes out daily and is fine. I'm with the kids 24/7 and it's wearing on me.

We're taking walks, gardening and other things but on occasion when my husband is home, I go for a drive by myself. I did get to get out to get groceries the other day and that caused about 2 hours of "just me" time which helped.

It helps to see my co-workers on webcam too. We use to always use the phone, now we use conferencing with web cams to help us deal with depression for a bit.

·
Bushidoka
2,889 Posts
I'm Planning a "Social Distancing Back Lane BBQ"

It's still snowing here in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies (and temps will be up and down below freezing for another 6 weeks), but we finally have a couple of warm days coming up in the week after Easter.

Different neighbourhood layouts will suggest different arrangements, but the basic idea is to invite everyone in a defined area to haul their barbecues, tables and seating (and music, decorations, etc) out of their private yards to a front (or in my case, rear) common area within view of other neighbours to enjoy a well-separated (yet also common & sociable) meal within view and hailing distance of everyone else.

My invitations, on 8.5"x 11" paper with a hanging cord, are designed to become a "name bib" on the reverse. Attendees are asked to "write large" enough to be read from 3 meters (10 feet) away. They say "Share something if you like, but just keep your distance."

My intention is to barbecue plenty of extra food (and chill plenty of beer) to share if anyone is brave enough to stop by. And I also plan to stroll the entire length of my back lane waving and greeting my neighbours--the ones I know and the ones I haven't met yet. Social distance can easily be observed...while simultaneously being overcome.

Will it be a solitary failure, or will others participate enthusiastically? At the moment, and likely until the appointed time, I have no idea. Ask me after the 17th.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Certain aspects of our situation dictate that I have to go out once a week. I had thought that those would feel like an escape, but in truth those are my most stressful days. I feel guilty even though it is a have-to trip, and I am taking precautions. Other days I am mostly good and as productive as possible. We have a fair amount of land and plenty enough projects to keep me busy.

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
5-6 weeks now.

Nonissue, so many projects to do, so many books to read. (I must rest often)

several people have offered to bring me groceries. I need nothing and fortunately have lots of tools and materials for my projects.

I may go back to being more of a hermit when this is over.

No cabin fever, I have hundreds of acres to be on.
I am comfortable in my own skin.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,513 Posts
Seems like I have been on "lockdown" my whole life. Not really since I have traveled, had a lot of friends almost all who have disappeared or died. I actually disappeared when I escaped Calirado but that is another interesting story.

I do think that those who stay at home and like it are most likely introverts. I am and many introverts I know don't truly need people to entertain them, they like to read on the net and paper books. I have an exercyle etc. in this room so trying to stay in shape. How I could go on.
In a motel I have been watching far too much tv and internet and am almost sick of it all. Up on my mtn place I will not have tv or internet, just a phone to text sometimes.

I will be glad to be out of this small city of Laramie, out of this motel and back up on the safest, best and most beautiful place I know - my remote WY mountain retreat. I will be far too busy to be bored and will have to prioritize to try to get all done this coming summer until Nov. so I can live up there permanently.

Many will likely change their lifestyles at least a bit after this is over, whenever that might be. Hope millions will finally take prepping and learning survival skills seriously now.

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
We have been on stringent lock-down at our new rural home on 40 fenced timbered acres for about 3 weeks. We have 2 young great grand-children here with us, which would keep anybody busy 24/7 as they are packed as full of energy as a land mine.

Between schooling & teaching them all sorts practical survival skills & finishing various projects cabin fever isn't an issue.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I will be glad to be out of this small city of Laramie, out of this motel and back up on the safest, best and most beautiful place I know - my remote WY mountain retreat. I will be far too busy to be bored and will have to prioritize to try to get all done this coming summer until Nov. so I can live up there permanently.
I spent 4 winters in Laramie going to school, wasn't boreing because of the classes, but I can't think of a worse place to winter. Wyo isn't on any kind of stay at home ORDER yet. If the shooting range at the end of N 9th st is still there, that was my return to sanity place. Couldn't afford to shoot much back then but I spent hours picking up brass, and even lead from the backstops.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I'm thinking about hiring a referee to break up our fights. Maybe I should just stage an Indian cage match with my wife and get it over with. Three falls no time limit, winner take all.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,719 Posts
Other than having to go to the dr back the first week of March to get blood work done to get refills on my meds I haven't left the house at all since about mid Jan when all this kind of started except to go in the backyard to play in my garden.

I am an introvert, I have no problem admitting it. This hasn't fazed me at all. That's why my byline states Wannabe Mountain Hermit because I could go to the mountains and stay there for the rest of my life and I would in a heartbeat if I had the money.

As long as I can go out to my garden and plant my vegetables, herbs and flowers I am perfectly ok.

People like my mother who has to be out and about among people all the time I just can't understand. She is starting to show the strain and i'm trying to be patient with her but between her and hearing about others going into depression over this just boggles my mind.

I'm trying to understand and empathize with them but I just don't get it.

·
Possum Lover
15,536 Posts
We had a big argument on Sunday.

It is compounded because I am his sole caregiver. We also work together. I got out of the house a couple hours yesterday running errands but that will be it for a while.

I have come up with a solution for some of my issues, whenever I get up I ask him if he wants something, that way he isn't bothering me after I just sat down again. That's working well.

We are also enjoying having all this time with the cats. I discovered I have 2 bonus cats want to live with me now. :rofl: No, thank you. 5 is enough.

Reactions: Cherry

·
Registered
957 Posts
My wife and I both are on week 4 working from home. It's wearing on her a little more than myself but I feel myself getting a little edgy at times. On the plus side, I'm getting a lot of items on the honey do list done. You would think the list would be shrinking but it's like cutting the tail off a lizard, it just grows back LOL.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wife and I are working from home. Son is in heaven staying home, playing video games, watching youtubers. My daughter (17) thinks we are needed to entertainer her. She wants to make masks, but she won't do the research to find out what material she needs to order. I will buy it, just put it in the cart. We can't play board games because it turns into a nasty experience. Overall we are all well. Wish my back was better so I could do more yard work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Not really fighting cabin fever yet. Living on a couple acres in a small town has its benefits in times like this.

Wife and kids doing the online schooling thing.

I am still out doing my job in various locations. Can't exactly overhaul a CAT 6NZ engine, replace a Cummins 6BT water pump, etc. in my living room. Luckily I work alone so the social distancing thing is not a problem. Quick chat with the customer and I am off and run'n.

Most people get spring fever this time of year, myself included, so I can't imagine living in one of the NYC housing authority buildings. That would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I definitely have Spring Fever..... I also have a 75 yo MIL on my wifes family's farm so the acre garden there remains undisturbed under black plastic from my tilling last Fall. OTOH, I read alot of books, our yard has been groomed beyond reason and I have binge watched Tiger King (sic).

BTW, I stumbled across this article at dawn over coffee.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020...tent=featured-content-trending&utm_term=first

1 - 20 of 64 Posts