Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:xeye:
For those of us that SELF-ISOLATED and quarantined early for the sake of an at risk family member, I never INTEND to get the Covid-19 virus in the first place. Isn't that the first rule of survival?

So how then can someone believe it would be a good idea to make it where the people that DID get it and developed supposed antibodies be the ones that are clear to "get back to work and reenter society" after somehow proving their status - against someone like me that won't have antibodies to show because I was careful ???

The article talks about that causing a two tier society, saying those WITH antibodies would be allowed back to society, while those without remain locked down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/health/immunity-passport-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The problem is that you can still be contagious, even if you got the virus and recovered. Say your spouse or kid is coughing its guts out, and you've got it all over your hands or something."

yes, yes, yes! That is so true.

We are following International news as much as we do check in on the US news being rehashed daily.

When an actual person in China (living thru the lockdown and then easing of quarantine) described the process - I found it fascinating how Wuhan decided they were going to "be safe" on the other side of this as people emerged from lockdown.

The GREEN CODE on their cell phone allows them to move freely around the city again.

"On my discharge day, before going anywhere I had to go to my apartment leasing office, where I showed the committee a chart of my daily temperature readings and a medical professional checked my temperature so I could get a certificate saying I was "free and clear" from Covid-19. This qualified me for a "green" scan phone code that I had to show before entering any grocery store or taking public transportation. That code would have turned red if I'd gone out of town or turned off my GPS. (more article)"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/opin...quarantine-devika-koppikar-opinion/index.html

Each country will have to decide for themselves, but the whole idea of "proving I had antibodies" doesn't work for people like me.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Even those here should expect to be exposed at some point...don't forget the 1918 flu spread throughout the world in roughly 3 waves over the course of a year. or so.

But, hopefully the OP's exposure comes after everyone else has been exposed in the first or second wave so there are plenty of ICU beds with ventilators available if the OP needs that.

·
Grevcon 10
14,795 Posts
Is there any proven natural immunity to this virus once one has had it?
No. Just a handful of 'hopes' and 'bets' so far. Meanwhile we have documented examples of reinfection. Still haven't seen anyone try to figure out if the reinfection was the same strain or not.

Typical for a coronavirus in general is that you lose the antibodies after 4 months or so. We really haven't been able to study this one to find out how long it lasts either in average or in range.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Reality check:

Say you don't have the antibodies and you go out and get exposed to someone or something who is infected.. GUESS WHAT you get sick. If the whole point was not getting sick you wouldn't want to reenter society anyway because the virus is still out there.

Clue in, the reason people with antibodies can resume is if immunity is conferred they won't be at risk of serious illness and death to the same degree. We arn't talking about getting rid of the virus.. we are talking about not dying as much from it and not getting as sick from it by gaining partial or full immunity.

The virus isn't going away, it will still be out there when activities are resumed.

and that is why.. the virus will still be waiting for you when you leave your home. The difference is with antibodies you will not get as sick or die as much than without.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Is there any proven natural immunity to this virus once one has had it?
Your question should is there any evidence of immunity x months after recovery. Your recovery itself was evidence that your body was resistant to the virus at one point in time,

IIRC, the original (2002) SARS antibodies persisted for as long as 15 years, but started dropping at 3 years. Lots of data out there if you are interested.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
From what I have read, there a multiple strains of this virus. Even if someone gained immunity to one strain, that might not equate to immunity to other strains.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The virus isn't going away, it will still be out there when activities are resumed.

and that is why.. the virus will still be waiting for you when you leave your home. The difference is with antibodies you will not get as sick or die as much than without.
If it hit you once and it reduced your lung capacity you will be MORE likely to die if you pick up a different strain not too long after...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Only medical personal should get the "immunity certificate". It will help them to do their job more effective and it will help them more than clapping your hands for them.

·
MyPrepperLife
4,607 Posts
As I understand it, several things need to happen to get this virus under control.

1. An antigen test needs to be developed and widely deployed. An antigen test is a test that can determine if an individual has the SARS-CoV-2 virus in his or her body. (SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19. That is, SARS-CoV-2 is the particular coronavirus we are all talking about.) Antigen testing is already happening; it is the kind of testing that is being used now, though it certainly is not widely deployed in many parts of the world, including the US.

2. An antibody test needs to be developed and widely deployed. This kind of test would detect whether or not an individual's body contains antibodies that can fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If the test detects the presence of antibodies, it means either that the individual had COVID-19 and recovered from it, or the individual has been vaccinated for SARS-CoV-2 (see #3 below).

3. A vaccine needs to be developed and widely deployed. The vaccine would allow an individual's body to develop antibodies to the SARS-Cov-2 virus if that individual's body has not already developed those antibodies as a result of having had COVID-19 and recovering from it.

4. And another things needs to happen: There has to be a way to know which individuals have the antibodies and which do not. (This goes to the point made by the OP in Post #1.) Immunity-certificate cards could be issued to people, or people's smart phones could be used in a way somewhat similar to what is being done in China with the "green code" - or - there is creepy research going on right now at MIT that is geared toward addressing this challenge. The research focuses on an implant intended for humans that will carry information about the individual's vaccination status. The implant could function as the "immunity certificate" that is being discussed in this thread. The implant is known by researchers as the "quantum tattoo." Here is a link:

https://news.mit.edu/2019/storing-vaccine-history-skin-1218

I believe the quantum tattoo or something similar will probably be mandated for everybody at some point. It is a horrible thought, but I think it's going to happen. There are a couple reasons I dislike the idea so much. For one thing, the notion of being forced to have something implanted in my body is abhorrent to me. For another thing, I believe it's possible that such an implant might have functionality such as GPS tracking and who knows what else, even though its "official" purpose would be immunity certification.

Circling back to the OP: As the OP pointed out, people that have been self-isolating will not have antibodies. These people will need to be vaccinated in order to get the immunity certificate or quantum tattoo or whatever. (I am in the same boat as the OP, BTW. I plan to ride out the pandemic in self-isolation, so I will at some point need to get vaccinated if I want to rejoin mainstream society.)

What I've said in this post probably doesn't address the challenge that would be posed by mutations of SARS-CoV-2. Not sure what the answer is for that.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Don't forget polio vaccine. They had lots of iron lungs to keep people alive. Now we don't have polio. So vaccines can be a good thing. Look at small pox. Vacvines helped with that as well. So it's worth while for some shots.

Some are give people cow pox so they don't get the human version which is worse. They're is a long history with infecting people making them slightly sick so they don't get majorly sick later. Why do you think people did chicken pox partys

·
Registered
13,038 Posts
Yeah, but everyone is convinced this disease will kill them, or the vaccine will....so TPTB are in control, people that speak out are canceled, and FUD is the media’s main goal. Fear, Uncertainty and a Doubt. Truth and reality don’t matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts