Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought living out in nowhere in Nebraska I wouldn't have that much to worry about with Coronavirus but it seems I'm now only a couple degrees of separation from a couple active cases. My ex works in the ER at a hospital in Omaha where they have diagnosed a couple people. One is in bad enough shape that she was transferred to UNMC bio-containment unit. She wasn't directly in contact with either patient but works with those that were. Now there are about a dozen employees that have been quarantined for two weeks to make sure. She's not too concerned about it and doesn't think it will be too bad for anyone that doesn't have other health issues, specifically prior respiratory problems. That being said, they are still taking precautions and have the protective equipment available if needed.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts
Welp, first case in my area. It was just a matter of time.

https://kutv.com/news/local/first-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-utah

Male, older than 60, recovering at home.

Officials believe the patient was exposed to the COVID-19 virus while aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship. That patient then returned to Utah and visited the doctor after developing symptoms consistent with the coronavirus.

That cruise ship has had more than 20 people so far test positive for the virus.
Damndable cruise ships. Petri dish for every bug known to man.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the one here got sick Feb 25 in the UK and flew back on the 27th and didn't go to the hospital until a couple days ago. Travel by air or ship do not seem to be the best options right now. My daughter is supposed to fly to Florida for a school trip in two weeks. Really considering not having her go and eat the $2K we paid for the trip.

·
Retired *****
18,332 Posts
At this point Im guessing its in every state. Its a matter if when they find it.
Pretty much my thoughts. No symptoms, no test. Many infected show no symptoms or mild symptoms that resemble the common cold. No test.

Meanwhile they have infected everyone they have come in contact with.

On the local news last night they highlighted a local company that produces $10 tests that give results in 90 minutes. I guess the CDC is backing off on the rules about its exclusive tests which it is loath to dole out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
six degrees of separation?

I just found out...

my wife and daughter went to breakfast this morning with my niece -- who lives in Eagle County, Colorado -- that kids in her high school are in quarantine after returning from Italy. I have no info on whether they went straight to quarantine or they went to school before the Summit County (about an hour east of them, an hour west of me) incident with the traveler.

My niece is very social, so she might have been exposed and might have exposed my family.

Why haven't I locked down yet?

Because I need to time it right as my wife is a pain in the ass.

·
I Dig the Dirt
177 Posts
Welp, first case in my area. It was just a matter of time.

https://kutv.com/news/local/first-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-utah

Male, older than 60, recovering at home.

Damndable cruise ships. Petri dish for every bug known to man.
Thank You for this update!! I missed it! A gal in my 11 person office lives in that county. It's a bit of a drive to the office so she only works in office 2 days a week and the other 3 from home.

We've all been passing around bugs since Christmas break and I spray the office down every morning when I get there (I'm the first in the door). Now I'm going to be extra vigilant (even though I suspect it's already here) a little extra Lysol spray in some nooks and crannies can't hurt, especially near her office.

Owner / boss already thinks I'm a nut and germaphobe. He's been teasing me about the virus and asked me last week if I've been spraying down the mail. I told him, "Hell yes I have!" and he laughed at me. He's in the just a flu, bro, camp (as is everybody else I work with) but I play along and just keep saying I'm tired of catching everybody else's crud and listening to everybody cough, hack and sneeze all day. I also have the option of working from home but didn't want to pull that trigger too soon. I think I'm getting closer.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,959 Posts
I hope I don't get sick for the fact I am in contact with so many every day. Today I had 3 Ubers. How many will they be in contact with? I went to Walmart. I went to the liquor store... and today was a pretty quiet day. I handle cash which I then take to the bank and is then given to others...

We have had at least 2 cases in my zip code so I am concerned but not overly so. We had 2 drivers on Monday who were very clearly ill coughing and wiping nose on hand, then handling his wheelchair... that one has me worried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts