Survivalist Forum banner

4301 - 4320 of 4328 Posts

·
Banned
2,519 Posts
Okay, so it isn't something you buy at the store... But here in the great Pacific Northwest, we are seeing a severe shortage of HOUSING. Home prices are skyrocketing, while rentals are effectively gone.

Unless you can afford a penthouse or a mansion, you will be SOL if you come to Washington or Oregon without housing already waiting for you.

We are selling our house in Portland and moving to Washington to live close to hub's mom. It's unbelievably difficult to find even a small piece of land to park an RV. And hubby needs internet to continue working through the transition... which isn't generally available on tiny plots of land in the boonies.

We're both afraid we'll sell our house and then find we have nowhere to live!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Went grocery shopping at 2 different stores this weekend. One was out of some things in the produce section, watermelon for example, and the other had gaps in vitamins. Not sure why the watermelon was sold out at the end of April. Is there some new watermelon fad diet or something?

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Okay, so it isn't something you buy at the store... But here in the great Pacific Northwest, we are seeing a severe shortage of HOUSING. Home prices are skyrocketing, while rentals ate effectively gone.

Unless you can afford a penthouse or a mansion, you will be SOL if you come to Washington or Oregon without housing already waiting for you.

We are selling our house in Portland and moving to Washington to live close to hub's mom. It's unbelievably difficult to find even a small piece of land to park an RV. And hubby needs internet to continue working through the transition... which isn't generally available on tiny plots of land in the boonies.

Same thing here. We own a house in Island County that we rent out and plan to move back to in a few years. Local realtors keep sending us price reports begging us to sell it, and it is tempting watching that price climb every month.......but then we would be buyers in this market.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, so it isn't something you buy at the store... But here in the great Pacific Northwest, we are seeing a severe shortage of HOUSING. Home prices are skyrocketing, while rentals ate effectively gone.

In Seattle, you can park your RV anywhere, legal or not!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
A homesteading blogger I know recently posted on FB about shortages of all kinds of useful things, including canning lids and clothes pins. I suspect that a few people are going to be looking past the "can't reuse those lids" hype and asking themselves why exactly a lid that could be sterilized once can't be sterilized again. Or learning to use Tattlers and finding unique ways to pin their clothes to the line.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
"Isn't it the sugar content? Catsup has more than ketchup IIRC".

According to this they are the same thing just different spellings. Survey: Do You Say Catsup or Ketchup?

Citykitty my wife just bought a big bag of clothes pins made of plastic from WM. I would rather have ones made from wood. I am guessing the sunlight and UV rays will break down the ones made of plastic. I have a big bad of wood clothes pins put away. I use them for clamps when building my RC model planes.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Walmart. 7am. No mask signs, but lady at entrance had masks to hand out. Gov. DeSantis dumped at the emergency requirements (annoying a bunch of democratic mayors) But don’t think it goes into effect immediately. Also this county had dropped mask mandates a couple weeks ago. Don’t know what Walmart plans, whether to let local Walmart’s decide or make their own nationwide rule. Companies can have mask mandates. companies can’t have vaccination mandates for customers. (No proof of vaccination papers allowed).

anyway as noted iodine etc. plenty of alcohol and peroxide. But the nurses gloves were all gone. plenty of wipes etc.

[note: they had purple, and only purple, 5 gallon buckets. Got one because I do some color coding storage with them. Don’t know what should go in purple.]

canned cat food near wiped out. Ditto canned dog food. No obvious attempts at hiding such.

paper towels looked thin. TP fine. Paper plates etc were there, minimally but lots of bare shelves.

gaps in cereal section. Sugar was fronted, but it looked like they were covering a non-sugar spot. No large bags of rice. Gaps in canned veggie section. One of the Walmart shoppers (for curbside pickup) talks to herself.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I'm in suburban Philly. Stock looked pretty normal. I stumbled onto leg quarters in 10 pound bags that were close dated and on sale for under $5.00. I bought several. The sales items of Gatorade and Soda were decently stocked

TP fully stocked buy not any sales.

Gallons of milk have taken a jump. They were a little over $4 last week and this week they were $4.30 for a gallon of regular milk.

Milk in PA is pretty much the same price everywhere.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,215 Posts
Small suburb surrounded by OKC. my local grocery has half empty shelves all through the store. Meat counter has NO beef to speak of -- a couple of steaks, that's it. Pork and chicken mostly and none of those fridges were more than a quarter full. It's downright weird.

I do need to add, though, that that particular store was recently sold in a dissolution of a multi before local conglomerate. I'm wondering if the transfer over hasn't disrupted their order/supply chain deliveries.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Small suburb surrounded by OKC. my local grocery has half empty shelves all through the store. Meat counter has NO beef to speak of -- a couple of steaks, that's it. Pork and chicken mostly and none of those fridges were more than a quarter full. It's downright weird.

I do need to add, though, that that particular store was recently sold in a dissolution of a multi before local conglomerate. I'm wondering if the transfer over hasn't disrupted their order/supply chain deliveries.
It could be they are trying to do doing a complete inventory before moving forward.

Commissary on Base and local store here in San D is fully stocked, well actually overstocked. Seeing lots of markdowns on stuff that is about to expire. Seems like it is going to take awhile to reach equilibrium.

Our usual $250 run is averaging $400 now.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Here in washington milk at safeway is &.99/ half gallon for Lucerne regular or chocolate on sale this week. Local grocery has ongoing $1.99/ gal if you buy 2. Though they stopped the 8 piece fried chicken for $4.00. This week they had a small but excellent rotisserie chicken with a pound of deli salad and 4 cheese buns for $10.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Okay, so it isn't something you buy at the store... But here in the great Pacific Northwest, we are seeing a severe shortage of HOUSING. Home prices are skyrocketing, while rentals are effectively gone.

You bring in millions of Not Citizens and that's what you get. Where do the febs file the environmental impact studies on alien admissions?

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
I think it's the eviction ban. Landlords are stuck with non paying tenants. My parents know a lady who refuses to pay rent, has refused to pay rent, for over a year "My landlady is rich she can afford it", a hoarder, etc. It is going to be a real nightmare evicting her when they "can" evict her.

My local Walmart yesterday, no carts at either end of the store; a real failure on the part of the cart attendants. They had a decent amount of candles, Iams Urinary dry cat food. My aunt got some cards. That's about all we could carry.

I am still working on a pizza I bought with a gift card so I didn't need any "food" food.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Swung by Aldi, stock was good and picked up several cases of canned goods that we use. Now I just have to find a place to put them in my rotation scheme.

I also restocked on instant oatmeal. I prefer regular, but on mornings when a quick breakfast is needed $1.25 for 10 (flavored) or 12 (reg.) packets is darn good. We each have two packets, one flavored and one regular, so under 50 cents for breakfast for 2. Their prices on snacks were the same and got a bunch of items we liked. Also grabbed some more canned peanuts, a nice high protein snack. I don't eat many, but my spouse thinks of them as a treat, so at $1.85 for a pretty large can buying six was a little over $10. and will add 8 months to my stock.

Every single item I stocked up on was low and limited a year ago. I really don't need anything, but by increasing my pantry, I'll be able to handle price increases and lack of availability more easily.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really don't need anything, but by increasing my pantry, I'll be able to handle price increases and lack of availability more easily.
The Wall Street Journal expects inflation because of all the stimulus packages. Like you said, now is an excellent time to stock up on anything that you know you will use and keeps well.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,322 Posts
Wife stopped at Dollar General today. Her list was small, really just replacing stuff the boy snacks on like potted meat and getting a couple more cans of corned beef as far as the long term pantry goes.

No corned beef just hash which we are good on, but they do now carry the potted meat in 6 packs that are 30 cents (per six) cheaper than buying individual like they've always done with Vienna's. Hell that's 5 cents off per can. I'm always happy with a 10% discount when I can get it.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I plan my grocery shopping to take advantage of a local grocery store's senior discount day. I'm always happy with the 5% discount. It's like sprinkles on top of their sales. The 50 cent a pound pasta becomes 47.5 cents (and since it's on the total, those 1/2 cents slowly add up. It makes a bigger difference in higher priced items so $5 item becomes $4.75. I shop there because many of their sales are the best in the area.

Wife stopped at Dollar General today. Her list was small, really just replacing stuff the boy snacks on like potted meat and getting a couple more cans of corned beef as far as the long term pantry goes.

No corned beef just hash which we are good on, but they do now carry the potted meat in 6 packs that are 30 cents (per six) cheaper than buying individual like they've always done with Vienna's. Hell that's 5 cents off per can. I'm always happy with a 10% discount when I can get it.

4301 - 4320 of 4328 Posts