Survivalist Forum banner

4261 - 4280 of 4328 Posts

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
You can use vinegar to clean I believe. Although the last time I went I found a nice big bottle of **** and Span. I am nostalgic my husband said he liked it because his mother used it when he was growing up. When I looked for floor and toilet bowl (separate products!) cleaner I found them a few weeks ago. I use vinegar mainly in the wash 1/2 cup in the rinse water with the towels gets all the suds out and makes them much fluffier. Can also use 1/2 cup in the washer on the cleaning cycle, per a repairman.

Reactions: NCalHippie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Vinegar & water 50/50 will remove the scent of cat messes. Spray it on whatever they sprayed, blot, spray again & air dry. But mostly I use it for laundry too - it's a good rescue if you forget a load in the washer {or wet stuff elsewhere}.

Still can't get compost or topsoil here. All the big box stores are out. Gonna have to try to wrangle hitting up one of the smaller shops. Also {at least here}, there seems to be a very low inventory on irons. Guess everyone is crafting? Finally found one online last night. Prices have really gone up on them though!

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
Bicycle shortage

Since the pandemic started, more people have been dusting off their bikes and hitting the pavement.
The pandemic interrupted the supply chain for the bicycle industry. There was a time where you used to be able to walk right into a bicycle shop, pick out a bike and be on your way. That's not the case anymore.
Rochester Cycling owner Matt Hawkins said it's been a struggle getting inventory in stock.
"The warehouses that used to be stockpiled with bikes, now sit empty," Hawkins said.
He said the current wait for a lot of his inventory is going on eight months. He said it's because all the industries that are related to bike production were also affected by the pandemic, slowing everything down.
I have three bicycles. I've been shopping for an e-bike because I live in a very hilly area and I'm not as fit or strong as I used to be. I still load them up on the bike rack and head to the trails, but after you ride one you will be amazed at how those steep impossible hills are nothing on an e-bike.

No e-bikes to be had. I talked to a guy who just bought a $7,000 Specialized electric mountain bike. He said it was the last one the dealer had and everything was on back-order.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,404 Posts
Fresh ground is the only way to go anyway.
Absolutely, positively, with out a doubt. I buy the 3 lb. bags of Columbian beans at Costco and freeze them until needed.

There is a shortage of HOUSES in the real estate market on the west coast, particularly in the northwest.
Here too. Prices are outrageous. A 1200 sq. ft. house on less than an acre which was valued at $300k last year, just sold for $600k in my area. Rents are through the roof as well.

Wait till you find out how much the ink cartridges cost and how quickly they run out. :(
I get the cheap ones from Amazon. The colors fade after a while but they are a fraction of the cost of the HP, and Canon brands. Plus, the biggest ink waster is the initial print head cleaning cycle when you turn the printer on.
You can use vinegar to clean I believe.
They used to say to use vinegar to clean your windows. Nothing but streaks in my experience. What I did find is that 70% rubbing alcohol leaves ZERO streaks and gets all the grime off as well. I put it in a plastic spray bottle. Put out all smoking materials before doing this though. :eek:

·
Survivor
16,613 Posts
My wife used to clean houses and instead of paper towels on the mirrors after she sprayed Windex she would use wadded up newspaper. It leaves no streaks and none of the paper towel fuzz on the glass. You may give that a try.
We used to use vinegar in water and wipe with newspaper on the plate glass windows back when I worked at Western Auto.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I used to buy a lot of stuff from western Auto. The one by me had a great bicycle parts selection including chains and sprockets. I would swap out sprockets on my bike depending on use. I hated geared bikes with hand brakes, I also bought my first 30-30 there when they were going out of business. What a loss that store was.

·
Survivor
16,613 Posts
I used to buy a lot of stuff from western Auto. The one by me had a great bicycle parts selection including chains and sprockets. I would swap out sprockets on my bike depending on use. I hated geared bikes with hand brakes, I also bought my first 30-30 there when they were going out of business. What a loss that store was.
The best part of that job was assembling bicycles, BBQs, and whatever else was needed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes. Bought my first .22, .410, tape player, Tv, first 10 speed bike...........probably some other stuff. Usually put it on layaway.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I was out and about in several stores over the weekend. Zero canning lids at even the Amish stores.

There are canning jars that come with rings and lids. I'm expecting that all of a sudden around May for lids to appear just in time for canning season and the prices will continue high. I have Tattlers and plenty of lids that I bought 2, 3 and 4 years ago at end of season markdowns.

There is more money in selling cases of jars vs small boxes of lids.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Kind of the same here on lids. I have plenty, but will pick them up when I see them. Pass them on to friends.
Walmart had one case of lids/rings, but I don't need rings at all. One of the Amish store we frequent, have about 5 we can drive too, had a small selection of their rm plain lids. I picked up a 8d pack. Their price has went up. $3.00 per 12

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Publix. Went early this morning during senior hour. Needed to get Stoffers 1serving lasagna. Need to have one in the freezer, comfort food. Frozen section looked stocked.

Pasco county dropped masked mandate. Wore mine since this hour is set aside for people more at risk. Though I saw young shoppers. No mask signs, but everyone wearing one. Social distancing signs still there.

Pretty well stocked. Paper plates, etc, have reappeared including store brands. The laundry cleaning sprays are still non-existent. Plenty of other clearers, bleach, vinegar.

Canned cat food had gaps and very thinly stocked. Dog food looked ok.

Rest of place seemed well stocked.

Edit: didn’t seem to be as much BOBO and sale items. Though I did get boho ritz crackers. No cheese on sale, Publix used to always have some brand of cheese on sale.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,995 Posts
Got a delivery last night, they subbed a few vegetable things but that was OK. I ordered 2 six packs of diet dew and they only had one, but I was OK with that. Most importantly they did have my Fresh Step cat litter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My local grocery store had a good supply of canning jars-including wide mouth. No lids though and no prices on the jars. I guess you find out how much it is when you take it to the checkout. I bought 2 pack of liquid pectin for making jam.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Medford OR. Walmart. No Vanilla soy, meat section at about 1/2 capacity.

I haven’t been able to get vanilla soy from a grocery store for about 2 months so I finally went in to get some. Well, there just really isn’t any..

I still have 3 cases of the Costco stuff but it’s just not the same.

4261 - 4280 of 4328 Posts