Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3831 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please report grocery store stocks, and if you observe panic buying. I am going through my youtube subscriptions, people who never once before uttered a word about prepping are saying they are buying extra food and water.

I go to the grocery store about once a week. Since I live in a rural area I doubt people here are as concerned as people in the city.

If you notice empty shelves, extra buying, please let us know.

Overall I find this interesting. I have been talking about this exact situation for close to a decade in my videos. Time and time again I mentioned the next plague, growing your own food... etc. Well, here we are looking at a modern plague.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,771 Posts
Wife made a run to local country grocery just to check things out (picked up some extra also) she said it seemed stocked as usual.

My best guess is things may change around here maybe starting this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,771 Posts
Well, actually we're remote enough that it isn't likely here (yet) so the wife wanted to pick some things up at a small (ish) grocery fresh things mostly btw (salad fixins etc. )

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,169 Posts
It may be coincidental but the only thing I have noticed is the brand of dog food we buy has been hit and miss lately. I doubt people are panic buying purina before getting the essentials for themselves like bourbon and bacon.

·
Psalm 37:28
845 Posts
No empty shelves here, but lots of websites are busy.

Walmart--sold out of 24lb pails of wheat
Amazon--24lb wheat pail prices are crazy (or sold out if price was okay)
Mountain House--so busy they can't respond to online customer service requests

But that seems to me like it's just preppers prepping a little extra (including me). No suburbanite moms are suddenly ordering freeze-dried food and pails of wheat, methinks.

My nearby Asian market will probably never sell out of 50lb bags of rice. I think no one knows it's even there except local Asians and a few Millennials with a taste for ethnic food. These are a great resource (because low-profile and because 50lb bags of rice) if you have one near you.

I'll update if Aldi gets crazy.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,220 Posts
2 weeks from now we'll be having a different discussion about panic in the USA.

·
Prepared in NH
12,847 Posts
We are located in Southern NH. The Wife knows what is going on, as we have been monitoring things regularly since around 2/01.

Today, she went to a large grocery chain here (MB) in New England.

The rice aisle was low, and all bulk large bags of rice were cleaned out. Water looked like it had taken a hit, but was not empty.

Canned goods were a bit lower than what is normal.

Granted, we do live in the sticks, so I am sure things are different at stores in NH that are closer to bigger towns and cities.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I went to the Walmart in Show Low, AZ today. After reading this thread, I was curious and asked them about face masks. (I don't need any, already have some.) Both the pharmacy and the paint department are completely out, and they said their warehouse is out of them, and it might be another month before they can get any. I did buy 2 boxes of nitrile gloves because I'm running low. They were the last two boxes on the shelf.

·
Indefatigable
19,904 Posts
We shop once a month and that will be Saturday. We have an extra long list this month. Get it done early, we should miss the crowds. That includes everything, we stop at the feed store, pharmacy, library, ect.
We will continue to shop as normal until I know its hit OK. If it does, that's when we will limit our time out and start to rely on short-term pantry supplies.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I was planning to go to Costco Wednesday morning to fill some holes but the wife was having chest pains so we went to the hospital instead (she has a history of cardiac problems) Finally got out of the hospital Thursday (it was not her heart) so I didn't make it to Costco until about 3:30. The place was busy as always but I saw very little sign of panic buying. Shelves were well stocked. They did have dozens of pallets of toilet paper and saw several people buying cartloads. I guess nobody wants to be out of toilet paper. I may hit Walmart tomorrow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It is probably coincidental but I was in Academy Sports and the ammo shelves had huge gaps. Arrows were almost completely gone. I suspect that the same people stocking up on food stuffs are also adding to the ammo shelfs. I ordered a large number of Mylar bags for storing foods in 5 gallon buckets. Preppers are prepping. No one knows which news article to trust or believe. I wish every one well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Both grocery stores here are stocked well; just the usual low spots before truck day, and some low spots on this week's sale items, that too is normal.

Both drug stores look normal.

All 3 dollar stores look fine too.

Our one hardware store looks normal.

As always, line of cars at McDonald's.

I added a box of gloves last night. That cashier has awaken, she told me that she's getting a box of gloves on payday, and that soon we will all be wearing masks. I asked her if they had any masks, she said no, sold out for weeks. Then told me that I what I need was the N95 masks, that she will be getting a two (2) pack of masks on payday. She then told me to go to the hardware store, that I can get two (2) pack of masks for $7. I thanked her for her help.

·
?
2,201 Posts
Surgical masks at pharmacies and Walmarts around here have been out for over a month. Know that's not the right kind, but some people are at least worried enough to buy them and stores are unable to restock. Last I checked several weeks ago, all the big box hardware stores were low on all kinds of masks.

Zip lock bags were very low last week at our local Walmart. And it just so happens that I was there several weeks ago while an employee was checking inventory to restock. So I'm guessing that's a China supply chain issue. We're starting to wash and reuse them. Stocked up on tons of quart freezer bags at Sam's since that's what we use for garden veggies. We have back up canning supplies but collard greens, baby limas and cream corn just aren't as good canned ...but they'll quickly get canned if power goes for a prolonged period of time.

1 - 20 of 3831 Posts