Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What I am looking for are any and all ideas to mitigate its effects on you.

If a house hold member has it but no one else does yet. (may be possible as my oldest daughter got swine flue and no one else in house did... thats another story at bottom)

Not sure you just may have another bug, do you go to an emergency facility where you are sure to pick it up?

Do you use expectorants to break it up?

Treat the symptoms with OTC until panic mode then go to ER?

============
Swine flu story...
In its run, my daughter got very ill, took her in they did a swab, a few days later we were called with the results. She was positive for swine flu and the office wanted the rest of us to come in and be tested. Never again, they took a swab of our upper nasel cavity, 6 inch long and scraped the bottom of my skull. Our results came back negative and I didnt get anything, as usual ... here is hoping...

We did a bed room quarantine, door closed, lots of lysol, gloves and masks when interacting with her. Food, meds, love.... we didnt just wall her up.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
A whole home HEPA filter on the HVAC ductwork is probably not feasible. But maybe closing off the rooms return air duct and sealing the door might help some. Close off some vents in the room and heat it with an electric heater to reduce the positive pressure. Open a window now and then to vent, but then you're releasing stuff around your external environment. A high efficiency allergen filter for your furnace wouldn't hurt.

·
Emergency Manager
2,724 Posts
What I am looking for are any and all ideas to mitigate its effects on you.

A house hold member has it but no one else does yet. (may be possible as my oldest daughter got swine flue and no one else in house did... thats another story at bottom)

Not sure you just may have another bug, do you go to an emergency facility where you are sure to pick it up?

Do you use expectorants to break it up?

Treat the symptoms with OTC until panic mode then go to ER?

============
Swine flu story...
In its run, my daughter got very ill, took her in they did a swab, a few days later we were called with the results. She was positive for swine flu and the office wanted the rest of us to come in and be tested. Never again, they took a swab of our upper nasel cavity, 6 inch long and scraped the bottom of my skull. Our results came back negative and I didnt get anything, as usual ... here is hoping...

We did a bed room quarantine, door closed, lots of lysol, gloves and masks when interacting with her. Food, meds, love.... we didnt just wall her up.
It's a virus so it has to just run its course. Treat it like the flu. Tylenol/Ibuprofen, etc for fever, lots of fluids, easy access to a bathroom, humidifier for comfort. If you're having issues with breathing, ask about a script for albuterol. Albuterol nebulizer treatments and/or inhalers can be helpful. If pulmonary edema is present (your lungs will feel "wet" or "fuzzy"). Once you've felt it, you'll know what I'm talking about. Rest in an elevated position (i.e. recliner). Doing so keeps any accumulated fluids in the lowest part of your lungs so they affect the smallest surface area possible. If you lay down, the fluids spread out over more tissues which hurts your lung's ability to exchange gasses.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Bunch of threads on this so it probably doesn't matter
on which one I post. Ha~!

The interesting thing right now is they are building a hospital (maybe 2)
in one week (maybe 2). Pictures show large numbers of digging machines
at work. So close together it looks like they would interfere
with each other.

Anyway I'm thinking that getting the shell of a building up
AIN'T a hospital~! Needs roads leading to it. Ideally paved.
Needs water, sewer, electricity - and all of that has to be threaded
throughout the building. Needs flooring, windows, doors, HVAC.
Computer rooms, oxygen pipes, elevators, a big kitchen with
big stoves and big refrigerators. Needs furniture, curtains, blinds...

Heck: Did I say a ROAD? Ha~! They need a RAILROAD leading to it~!

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

Prevention & Treatment
Prevention

There is currently no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Stay home when you are sick.
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses. CDC does have specific guidance for travelers.
Treatment

There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for 2019-nCoV infection. People infected with 2019-nCoV should receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms. For severe cases, treatment should include care to support vital organ functions.

People who think they may have been exposed to 2019-nCoV should contact your healthcare provider immediately.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

How 2019-nCoV Spreads

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS and SARS.

When person-to-person spread has occurred with MERS and SARS, it is thought to have happened mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. Spread of SARS and MERS between people has generally occurred between close contacts.

It’s important to note that how easily a virus spreads person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious (like measles), while other viruses are less so. It’s important to know this in order to better understand the risk associated with this virus. While CDC considers this is a very serious public health threat, based on current information, the immediate health risk from 2019-nCoV to the general American public is considered low at this time.

There is much more to learn about the transmissibility, severity, and other features associated with 2019-nCoV and investigations are ongoing. The latest situation summary updates are available on CDC’s web page 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,131 Posts
Colloidal silver ingested. I've been using it for years. It was always my opinion that colloidal silver effectiveness on viruses was minimal. I think I just wasn't using enough of it at 10 ppm strength.

After some experimentation I believe now that it can have a significant effect on viruses in larger doses. I take care of several feral cats. One of the ferals that recently came to my property dropped 5 kittens in the nearby brush. Two of the 5 kittens contracted feline eye herpes when they passed through the birth canal which is a nasty virus that can destroy their eyes if left untreated. Mom brought the kittens out for solid food about a month after they were born. I started mixing colloidal silver in with their food at every meal and within a couple of weeks One of the two cats was cured and the second one who had it so bad I thought it's eye was gone was clearing up. The 2nd cat cleared up in another week and I stopped treatment. The infection in that cat came beck several times in the last year and each time it took 3 -4 days of CS in his food to clear the infection up. That cat has been clear of the infection now for several months, I think because he finally developed natural resistance to the virus. I was mixing a tablespoon into his wet food treat which I gave him one dose per day along side the normal food.

Several times I've watched the miraculous transition from severely infected to clear of symptoms. It's not a coincidence that the infection cleared each time that I started dosing the cat again.

I plan to use colloidal silver as part of my fight against any virus, bacterial, or fungal infection that gets into my body. That and vitamin C from citrus. Modern medicine has nothing to offer for viruses except to manage symptoms and hope that you survive.

I should add that for many years I've been using colloidal silver in their food whenever they come around with bacterial infections in the wounds they get from fights. The out of control infections have always cleared up within days of dosing the cats with colloidal silver. None of them have ever gotten rabies from any of their wounds. Rabies is also a virus.

·
Start up the rotors
7,654 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight, I know many members here believe in it.
They can do them, not my business.

BUT, if you're new to prepping, or looking for homeopathic/self care remedies for possible viral or bacterial infections, please understand that colloidal silver is modern snake oil. It has no proven effectiveness against any condition, and has many side effects, some serious.
It can also lessen the effectiveness of legitimate drugs and even cause reactions.
Yes, silver has a place in medical care, mainly as to manage bio burden in topical applications. That's why you see it in bandages and dressings.

Internally, it does not do the same thing. At all.

If colloidal silver had any proven usefulness against any condition, some pharma company would be making a medical grade version and marketing it.
And no, it's not some great conspiracy theory that they don't want you to know about. They're profit driven companies, if something as easily obtained as colloidal silver was effective, they'd use it in a heartbeat and skip the millions and millions spent on R&D.

If you're convinced it's worked for you, good on ya'. Please save your anecdotal evidence and let's part as friends.
But for those new or learning, just know that scientifically, colloidal silver is ineffective, and exists due to good marketing to a certain demographic.
Nothing more.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight, I know many members here believe in it.
They can do them, not my business.

BUT, if you're new to prepping, or looking for homeopathic/self care remedies for possible viral or bacterial infections, please understand that colloidal silver is modern snake oil. It has no proven effectiveness against any condition, and has many side effects, some serious.
It can also lessen the effectiveness of legitimate drugs and even cause reactions.
Yes, silver has a place in medical care, mainly as to manage bio burden in topical applications. That's why you see it in bandages and dressings.

Internally, it does not do the same thing. At all.

If colloidal silver had any proven usefulness against any condition, some pharma company would be making a medical grade version and marketing it.
And no, it's not some great conspiracy theory that they don't want you to know about. They're profit driven companies, if something as easily obtained as colloidal silver was effective, they'd use it in a heartbeat and skip the millions and millions spent on R&D.

If you're convinced it's worked for you, good on ya'. Please save your anecdotal evidence and let's part as friends.
But for those new or learning, just know that scientifically, colloidal silver is ineffective, and exists due to good marketing to a certain demographic.
Nothing more.

What about nasal spray and reducing biofilms from MRSA on infections as well as other topical treatments?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Nothing more.
One of the big problems with prepping is that if you open your mind enough to accept the need to prep...its easy to go too far and open your mind so much your brain falls out. As demographic we are very vulnerable to scams of all shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
What about nasal spray and reducing biofilms from MRSA on infections as well as other topical treatments?
I think he answered that in his post:

I mean....there is a reason they actually use silver salves for burns....but don't feed it to you.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I do not think it is a good idea to dismiss anecdotal evidence, especially in animals as there is no power of suggestion. Funny how some dismiss almost all "news sources" but look to "news sources" for validation. CS is produced commercially as a form of it was recommended to me by a vet. I don't have a strong opinion on cs either way but I do dislike how some dismiss and put down anyone with any experience with it due to a lack of "scientific studies". Scientific studies have brought us all kinds of data, such as feeding cattle tons of antibiotic, butter is bad, butter is good, eggs are bad, eggs are good, Round Up is safe, can drink it is so safe, Round Up causes cancer,and on and on.

·
Registered
34,626 Posts
ehhh.

Nevermind.

Its not worth arguing. Someday I may need to make a quick buck and I shouldn't complain about a large pool of people who can be suckered by just about anyone.
I had a roommate for a year who INSISTED our.... for lack of a better word water cooler be coilidal silver.

I looked it up, figured I wouldn't turn blue, and told him if he kept it full I'd drink it.

Noticed nothing.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My wife got on a colloidal silver kick a few years ago. She was spending crazy money (to me) on the stuff so I made a little CS generator to make our own.
I took the stuff for a little while but felt no effect so I stopped. I did the milk test, though and the difference in rate of spoilage between treated and untreated milk was pretty amazing. I agree that while silver may have some uses, there is nothing demonstrating a positive internal effect.
My wife and her relatives are onto many other health kicks now so CS is a distant memory for them. Lol, just this morning we had a little testy moment because I don't want to take the latest herbal cleanse that she is sure is a cure-all.
Don't get me wrong, I think there is surely some merit to some herbal homeopathic remedies and I like to be aware of them. I'm just careful and reasonably skeptical of every new fad treatment that comes down the pike.
Someday I'm going to compile a list of all the different cure-alls my wife's family has gone through in the time I've known them.
But I probably won't bring it up at a family dinner!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts