Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Автомат
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How have the recent public health challenges affected your church or parish community? What preventive measures has your community taken in the wake of local, regional, national and global guidelines? How have you altered your personal conduct as a result?

·
Generator Wrangler
3,825 Posts
How have the recent public health challenges affected your church or parish community? What preventive measures has your community taken in the wake of local, regional, national and global guidelines? How have you altered your personal conduct as a result?
I suspect the Elders of my church will curtail worship services soon. I may self-quarantine if they don't.

Reactions: Keyzer Soze

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I am just following my normal flu season routine:

1. I wash my hands frequently and try not to touch my face. I didn't need the CDC to tell me that this is something to do, especially during flu season.

2. I avoid crowds. I do a months worth of food shopping at Walmart so that I don't have to make multiple trips there. My Walmart opens a 7 am and I'm the first one in the door. There are very few people and I'm out of there within half an hour.

3. I eat a healthful diet, take vitamins including mega doses of vitamin C and vitamin B complex. I also eat a half a bulb of raw, fresh garlic daily. Laugh if you will, but if chicken soup is "Jewish penicillin," garlic is "Russian penicillin." Garlic acts as an antibiotic and antiviral in your system. It also has other beneficial properties which include thinning the blood which prevents heart attacks.

4. I ignore the fear mongers of the news media who breed panic for their political purposes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm an elder in our local church. Measures we have taken or which will go into effect as of this Sunday March 15 include

1. Changing to individual communion cups instead of having everybody's hands on the bread.

2. Sending enough individual communion cups home with each family unit, enough to last at least 4 weeks.

3. Five sermons/devotionals on Facebook for our group. One is appropriate for communion.

4. Future communions trays will be sterilized after each use. One person with nitrile gloves and face mask will load the trays.

5. No handshakes

6. Purell at the doorways.

Soon we will look at curtailing face to face services until the pandemic settles down.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I'm an elder in our local church. Measures we have taken or which will go into effect as of this Sunday March 15 include

1. Changing to individual communion cups instead of having everybody's hands on the bread.

2. Sending enough individual communion cups home with each family unit, enough to last at least 4 weeks.

3. Five sermons/devotionals on Facebook for our group. One is appropriate for communion.

4. Future communions trays will be sterilized after each use. One person with nitrile gloves and face mask will load the trays.
With all due respect, that sounds more like a prep for surgery rather than preparing the Holy Eucharist!

I have to assume that you do not believe that the Holy Eucharist becomes the body and blood of Jesus Christ and do a "symbolic" communion. In that case, I understand your hospital sterilization procedure. I'm not arguing with you. That's your business.

However, what people seem to forget is that catching the coronavirus is NOT a death sentence - even for healthy older people like me. For kids it's just a minor illness. No children that I am aware of have died from corona virus. Since kids have the youngest and healthiest immune systems it is not surprising that they are able to ward off the worst symptoms of the disease.

You should be more frightened of the regular flu which kills everyone - young kids, the elderly, etc. And, the flu shots are 50% effective at best and still haven't prevent nearly 25,000 deaths from the flu this year in the United States.

Today they are scaring you into closing the churches. If the Democrats take power they will be just closing them in the near future. Mark my words!

·
Автомат
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got back from work and discovered that the largest RC Archdiocese in North America has responded to the crisis in a big way.

Citing Coronavirus ‘Emergency,’ Archbishop Gomez Dispenses LA Catholics From Mass Obligations

In the face of a growing worldwide health emergency, Archbishop José H. Gomez today called for “prayers and vigilance,” announcing new measures aimed at protecting the faithful and limiting the spread of the Coronavirus in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

Calling it a “grave and extraordinary moment,” Archbishop Gomez said that all Catholics in the Archdiocese will be dispensed from their obligation to attend Sunday Mass for the next three weeks.
https://angelusnews.com/local/la-catholics/citing-coronavirus-emergency-archbishop-gomez-dispenses-la-catholics-from-mass-obligations/
Exactly what message does it send to the "faithful" when their local church leadership responds as such? Have other RC members experienced this sort of thing in their church communities? Do rank and file Catholics appreciate the clergy's concern on this matter?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts

1. I wash my hands frequently and try not to touch my face. I didn't need the CDC to tell me that this is something to do, especially during flu season.

2. I avoid crowds. I do a months worth of food shopping at Walmart so that I don't have to make multiple trips there. My Walmart opens a 7 am and I'm the first one in the door. There are very few people and I'm out of there within half an hour.

3. I eat a healthful diet, take vitamins including mega doses of vitamin C and vitamin B complex. I also eat a half a bulb of raw, fresh garlic daily. Laugh if you will, but if chicken soup is "Jewish penicillin," garlic is "Russian penicillin." Garlic acts as an antibiotic and antiviral in your system. It also has other beneficial properties which include thinning the blood which prevents heart attacks.

4. I ignore the fear mongers of the news media who breed panic for their political purposes.
Agree with this. However I would only add the following...

If you have older family members (75+) or those with certain illnesses or on certain medications that suppress the immune system I would recommend a higher level of vigilance. You may not be in a high risk group, but might inadvertently pass the illness to loved ones who are high risk...Perhaps wear a mask when you are around them.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I just got back from work and discovered that the largest RC Archdiocese in North America has responded to the crisis in a big way.

Exactly what message does it send to the "faithful" when their local church leadership responds as such? Have other RC members experienced this sort of thing in their church communities? Do rank and file Catholics appreciate the clergy's concern on this matter?
It would seem to me that where one comes down on this would depend on where one stands on what the Eucharist is. If it truly is the body and blood of Christ - and partaken of in faith - the Lord would simply never allow this life giving food to be something that causes us illness.

If it's just bread and wine done as a memorial, well, we can get around to that next year after the 2021 Final Four.

If it's the former and we take such a stance, we starve to death.

Perhaps a disconnect between what Roman Catholic doctrine teaches about the Eucharist and what its leadership actually believes.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

Amen to all the above. I feel exactly the same way. I'm taking this flu season with a grain of salt like I take ALL flu seasons. It seems that Batk and I have a I have at least two things in common. Probably more but we've failed to see it.

Garlic is awesome and one of God's natural remedies and "medicines." Oil of Oregano is wonderful as well. Mega-doses of vitamin C will do wonders to fight off viruses. Hand-washing and keeping fingers away from the nostrils (nostrils are hot-beds for viruses and bacteria). Avoid the crowds and if you see or hear someone coughing or sneezing in a public place ... walk the other way. Just use common sense and stop letting the Democrat Party, the News Media, and Globalist/One-World organizations dictate your emotions. Fear breeds fear. Faith breeds faith. Trust in God and rest under the wing of the Almighty.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

I can't imagine Christ postponing the spreading of the Gospel message because of an outbreak of leprosy or demon possession.

·
Автомат
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last Sunday, our pastor offered a few guidelines on this matter::

[to paraphrase]

It is the solemn duty of the Orthodox clergy to offer the Divine Liturgy and Holy Eucharist to all Orthodox Christians, who are properly prepared to receive it. A priest of the church would never dream of denying Eucharist to a sick parishioner, regardless the illness.
If you are sick and think you may be contagious, or are otherwise unable to attend the Divine Liturgy, we will be pleased to bring the Eucharist to you at your residence, hospital bedside or prison cell. No exception.
All the daily services of Great Lent will be offered as scheduled. All are welcome.
To Him be the glory.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,655 Posts
So, we have had motion activated dispensers for hand cleaner all throughout the building since we moved in years ago. (and enough hand cleaner to last a very long time.)

Here is our official response.
Hello CCC Family

We have been monitoring the latest on the Coronavirus and the leadership has been discussing the best course of action moving forward.

We will take things one week at a time. This Sunday, 3/15/20, we will be open at our normal service times. 9 & 11. Wednesday will also continue at the normal time of 7 pm.

Live Streaming:

We want to encourage anyone who is uncomfortable with coming to church at this time to join us online. Each person must pray and be led by the Lord. We love and respect each other, and we respect the decisions that are made in these uncertain times. As leadership, we have decided that we will remain open as long as possible for those who do want to come. If you stay home you can see the live stream at this link. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDYAOY7kvmzevepquTUh6dQ.
You can also find it on our church website https://www.calvarychapelcleveland.com/

We have done special cleaning in every area of the church, from the children's ministry to the cafe. Every surface has been carefully wiped down and sanitized for your safety. Hand sanitizer is available outside every common area and classroom areas.

We do ask that:
The elderly and anyone with underlying medical conditions to stay home and watch the live stream. This is for your health and safety.
Anyone who does not feel well in any way please stay home, do not attend church. As usual, no child who is exhibiting cold symptoms will be allowed in the children's ministry classrooms. This will help prevent the spread of illness.
Finally, for those that are coming, we ask that you limit physical contact.

What should our spiritual response be? From Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa
Being a Christian means not living in fear as well as preparing well and having wisdom. This is a moment for Christians to step up and intercede for our world. We want to pray for our friends, our loved ones, those vulnerable among us, those in authority guiding our response to this pandemic, and of course, those directly affected by it.
As the Lord leads, consider reaching out to a neighbor, family member, or friend who will be negatively affected by the Coronavirus. Especially consider the elderly in your community and consider reaching out to pray, encourage, and/or even run a needed errand.
As these perilous times mount, we pray that the Gospel would go forth and many would be saved. The Lord often uses times of hardship to bring many to faith.
“God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7)
In God we trust,
Calvary Chapel Cleveland Leadership

1 - 14 of 14 Posts