Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Did you happen to compare the sodium content?
If you are worried about too much sodium, when SHTF, too much sodium will be the least of my concerns; one will be pretty happy to get that extra salt.

"Anything" is better than Spam..... That is possibly the most God awful food ever invented...

Corned beef on the other hand is quite good in my opinion...
I disagree. Spam is the nectar of the gods, if nectar was a salted pork product.
I LOVE Spam.
Corned beef is merely a less tasty alternative.
Note....FRESH corned beef is excellent. The canned stuff never impresses me.

Mist......Fernweh
I speak German....what are you trying to say, maybe I can help?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fernweh is that sense of wanderlust of being somewhere but missing somewhere else... in this sense I am meaning that I am here instead of back in Germany where I could get some good saurbraten. Mist, as far as I remember, would be the same as saying "Damn"...or words to that effect, an interjection. (Haven't lived in Germany since 80, so my language skills have lapsed a bit).

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,295 Posts
I had not eaten canned corned beef/hash in years.

We just had Mary's Kitchen Hash and eggs this A.M.

Fried it on med/hi with a little butter until browned well, then turned it to brown on other side.

Made pockets in it, and put eggs in, covered turned down heat, and cooked until yolks were a little hazy on top.

Served on toasted bread, with some hot sauce on top.

That was a damn good, and easy breakfast.

Can't wait to make some hash with leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day.🍀

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,724 Posts
I had not eaten canned corned beef/hash in years.

We just had Mary's Kitchen Hash and eggs this A.M.

Fried it on med/hi with a little butter until browned well, then turned it to brown on other side.

Made pockets in it, and put eggs in, covered turned down heat, and cooked until yolks were a little hazy on top.

Served on toasted bread, with some hot sauce on top.

That was a damn good, and easy breakfast.

Can't wait to make some hash with leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day.🍀
Walmart sometimes has single serving cans. Above was just an experiment. Mary's is our normal goto for CBH.

·
democrats = Hydra
6,207 Posts
Does anyone know the actual shelf life of Spam?
its a Buzz Lightyear product. good for infinity and beyond.

I grew up with those square cans with the little key that peeled the metal strip to open. old skool.
mom would simmer wi taters and onions. comfort food. great alternative when groceries are tight.

I guess corned beef is the equivalent of ham. boiled ham / cabbage (with potatoes) used to be standard fare down my way in cool weather.

got my interest going. will have to pick some up next visit to the store.
I used to use cans of hash combined with canned diced taters. bachelor fare.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,467 Posts
I picked up a few cans at Kroger to try, can’t remember ever having it before but, being Cajun, I’ve eaten a lot of stuff that was never identified so it’s possible I’ve had it. I have regular Kroger brand corned beef, Mary kitchen roast beef hash and Mary kitchen corned beef hash I’m gonna try soon.
Always good to try stuff and possibly come up with another item to stock.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,724 Posts
I picked up a few cans at Kroger to try, can’t remember ever having it before but, being Cajun, I’ve eaten a lot of stuff that was never identified so it’s possible I’ve had it. I have regular Kroger brand corned beef, Mary kitchen roast beef hash and Mary kitchen corned beef hash I’m gonna try soon.
Always good to try stuff and possibly come up with another item to stock.
My wife loves the Roast Beef version.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
A big thanks to MikeK for bringing this topic up.

I now will be adding corned beef/hash to my preps.

I ordered some walmart roast beef and corned beef.

Will be checking at Aldi too.
Be sure to try a few cans of hash before buying large. I hate the stuff and it's a poor value. It's pricey and is mostly potatoes and grease. And it's a one trick pony. It's always going to be just hash. Hard to turn it into much else. This is why I tend to store separate ingredients.

With the corned beef, you can make hash, or use it as the meat in many other recipes. I've had the most success using it in things that aren't traditional corned beef recipes. For example, it makes terrible corned beef and cabbage, but makes for a good pot of beans, pasta sauce, or fried rice. Which is exactly what I buy canned meats for. I'm going to try it in enchiladas next, I think.

I've learned the same lesson with Spam and DAK canned hams. Neither make a good ham substitute in traditional ham recipes, but work fine as the meat in many other recipes.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,467 Posts
I cracked open a can of Kroger brand corned beef this last week to finally give it a try, had to wait on my granddaughter to come over because we like trying new foods together and she had never seen a can you open with a key (she's 7 years old) so... I thought it was ok, not salty like I was expecting from some of the comments I read, not near as salty as spam and I am a guy that has to limit salt intake for health reasons so I was happy it wasn't that salty. Flavor wise I thought it was kind of bland and boring and for me that's a good thing, I can add whatever spices and seasonings I want to it without having to worry about them clashing. I can see me using it for a lot of recipes and will start stocking up on it.

The granddaughter was not a fan at all. She managed to swallow a bite but said that was all she could do. I think it was a texture thing for her, she loves regular spam, hickory smoked spam, bacon spam and Vienna Sausages and she loves ground beef, roast beef etc.. so it's not a beef flavor thing or a too salty thing for her. I bet if I cooked some up in something like tacos or stir fry she would eat it with no problem.

Haven't got around to testing the roast beef hash or corned beef hash yet. Might try one of those soon.

·
High Concept
4,999 Posts
We used to have bully beef shepherds pie. Bully beef cooked with onions, peas, carrots and topped with mash and put in the oven. Had a very nostalgic aroma to it.

Bully beef dip made either pumpkin or sweet potato and curry or tomato relish. After a few pints people would palm a bread roll through it and jam that down their necks.

Bully beef sandwiches with beetroot slices was another one.

Bully beef and crackers with sliced tomato.

Many more.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,019 Posts
We used to have bully beef shepherds pie. Bully beef cooked with onions, peas, carrots and topped with mash and put in the oven. Had a very nostalgic aroma to it.

Bully beef dip made either pumpkin or sweet potato and curry or tomato relish. After a few pints people would palm a bread roll through it and jam that down their necks.

Bully beef sandwiches with beetroot slices was another one.

Bully beef and crackers with sliced tomato.

Many more.
Ok now I have to try the beef and beets sandwich. Did you use canned or fresh beets?

81 - 100 of 121 Posts