Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
I wonder if the re-hydrated beef in corned beef is made from "pink slime" I guess it's a moot point once we open the door to macerated meats. I have some CB hash in the oven now spread thin trying to get it dried out enough to form into muffin cups in the making of baked eggs. I tried it right from the can and it ended up being too wet. I have made baked eggs using hash brown potato cups and I'm trying CB hash as a meat alternative.
A suggestion if you don't mind. When it comes to corned beef hash most people put it into the pan and cook till it's kinda crisp on one side and then flip and do the same. To me that is just way too undercooked and greasy to eat.

I crumble mine while cooking like you would do with burger for chili and I have a dark reddish color that I want it. Constant stirring while cooking gets me what I want and then I drain the grease. Sometimes I just use a pancake turner and push the meat to one side of the skillet using paper towels to sop up the grease, and other times I drain it through a coffee filter into a bowl to use for flavoring other foods later.

No matter what you do with the grease I think you will have a much better result cooking it this way, in fact I usually add a bit of BBQ sauce after getting the grease out. Partially for flavor and partially because it can get a bit dry if you get distracted.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Try the Internet grocer Taste of Germany.
I can get all sorts of interesting stuff online. But mostly I'm just looking for affordable sources of protein and fat. And we don't do much in the way of variety when compared to other countries. Like the post earlier mentioning canned mutton. There was a time when Americans ate more mutton than beef. Few people today have ever even tasted it. In parts of Canada, you can get buckets of shelf stable fresh corned beef cheap. Not the expensive, low grade heat processed crap we have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Once I went over a 100 cans of Spam in my stash I backed off a bit.Dollar General has a nice price on Corned and Roast Beef hash(Hormel) so Ive been grabbing 2 a week for awhile now when I go by and hit their local sale on Treet
I also have a lot. Does anyone know the actual shelf life of Spam?

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
My baked eggs turned out pretty good but the CB hash had to be baked too long for moisture removal. I'll probably stick to Hash brown tater cups for baked eggs.

View attachment 352880
Well that's different. By the words "hash brown cup" and the fact that I've never tried to shape hash browns into a cup I was picturing you scrambling eggs and pouring them into muffin cups and then adding precooked hash browns and corned beef with maybe some green onion and red pepper for color.

Looking at what you have I would use fresh ground corned beef first of course but if using canned I would definitely use a can of corned beef and either run it through a food chopper or just mince it fine and then patty it up. I'd probably put a couple patties and a couple of those frozen rectangular hash browns on the cookie sheet along with the eggs and be eating in high style when it's done.

As stated earlier in the thread canned corned beef has a tendency to be on the dry side. Much drier than the hash by far.

·
Swirl Herder
3,761 Posts
If the meal you are making with canned corned beef (or indeed any canned meat) looks better with slices of meat, then put the can in the fridge for a few hours prior to opening. When you chill the meat and fats, they firm up. It makes it easier to get the contents out of the can in one complete chunk and then you can slice the meat for sandwiches or to make steaks.

When I first joined the military, we had a civilian contractor cook who made corned beef slabs (using the above method), dipped them in batter and then deep fried them. He called them "skid row steaks". I recall them tasting really good.......

They were the opposite of heart smart, but we were all young, fit and healthy - so we could metabolize anything.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Planning on having some canned corned beef hash with a couple eggs on top in the a.m. I haven’t tried the canned corned beef by itself yet. Sounds like a great idea with fried potatoes and some onion. Same idea with a bit of different texture. Might even sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese on top.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
50 years ago, nothing compared to GI Corned Beef. It came in 5 or 10lb cans. This was in Bamberg Germany. I only mention this as the statute or limitations ran out.

·
Registered
833 Posts
50 years ago, nothing compared to GI Corned Beef. It came in 5 or 10lb cans. This was in Bamberg Germany. I only mention this as the statute or limitations ran out.
My second tour in Germany I was friends with one of the cooks...We (sometimes) had uh...late night snacks.... No one messed with us, though...cooks and medics get to do some wild and crazy stuff in a line battalion.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts