Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always resisted buying much canned corned beef because it's generally ridiculously high priced for what you get. Though I did recently buy a bunch of it from walmart.com because they were out of the store brand "spam" that I had been buying. It was just a few cents a can more than SPAM brand, and a little over a dollar more a can than the store brand I had been buying.

I think I'm coming around in my thinking here. Looking at SPAM or store equivalents, they have about 7 grams protein per 2 ounces. The corned beef has 13. Nearly twice as much. This tells me that there's more actual meat per ounce in the corned beef. Nearly double? I notice there is little liquid in the can, and the meat is in fact, fairly dry.

We know they pump fresh hams with as much as 30% water by weight. I guess the same is true for canned luncheon meats too. Apparently they contain a lot more fat and water.

Either way, it costs more, but you're getting more meat. So I'm starting to add more of it to the stockpile. I'll only buy the store brand though, for the cost difference.

All in all, taste wise, it's very good. I don't have other brands on hand to compare against. But I've made several different meals with it and I'm enjoying it far more than any of the SPAM-like substances.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,388 Posts
Once I went over a 100 cans of Spam in my stash I backed off a bit.Dollar General has a nice price on Corned and Roast Beef hash(Hormel) so Ive been grabbing 2 a week for awhile now when I go by and hit their local sale on Treet

·
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why beef is corned before canning, just flavoring?
i just got some of the round cans of corned beef at walmart just to try. Always try before big purchase. I've had some really bad canned corned beef.
I've had some bad ones too. That's one of the reasons I had been hesitant on it in the past. But this brand is pretty good, at least used in the types of recipes I'm using it in. So far, I like it way more than the canned luncheon meats. Though I am a self admitted Spam hater anyway.

What I like is the can is full of pure meat. Most other forms of canned beef are canned in liquid.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
Once I went over a 100 cans of Spam in my stash I backed off a bit.Dollar General has a nice price on Corned and Roast Beef hash(Hormel) so Ive been grabbing 2 a week for awhile now when I go by and hit their local sale on Treet
He's talking about corned beef not hash.

Even the store brand is 3x as much as I would normally pay for Spam so I don't have a lot of it stocked. I do however grab a can or two here and there so have a bit stocked.

To me it's not as versitile as Spam or canned ham. This could be a failing on my part and probably is. I'm pretty stingy with it since it's so expensive.

People that know me on this board know that I'm not afraid to try different things with food though so maybe I'll try using it a few ways that I normally wouldn't and report back.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
Not sure why beef is corned before canning, just flavoring?
i just got some of the round cans of corned beef at walmart just to try. Always try before big purchase. I've had some really bad canned corned beef.
I've actually thought of canning it myself (note everybody read your guide book and make your own choices). We are coming up on March which is the one month of the year that you can normally find it on sale. Normally we stock the freezer with them. Thinking of picking up a bunch of the cheap point cut after ST Patty's Day when they hit deep discount.

In December we had the rare out of season flooding of corned beef at a local store and my wife loaded up on point cuts for 99 cents per pound. We ran them through the grinder with a medium grind and have been very happy. Patty some up for breakfast with eggs and potato patties. Use the patties to make Rubens. Just use the patties like burger for something different. Cook it crumbled and add it to mashed taters. It's proven to be a good investment and I still have a few things I want to try with it.

·
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even the store brand is 3x as much as I would normally pay for Spam so I don't have a lot of it stocked. I do however grab a can or two here and there so have a bit stocked.
To me it's not as versitile as Spam or canned ham. This could be a failing on my part and probably is. I'm pretty stingy with it since it's so expensive.
People that know me on this board know that I'm not afraid to try different things with food though so maybe I'll try using it a few ways that I normally wouldn't and report back.
I can relate on the price. I'm used to seeing it at about $5 a can in local stores. But at $3.12 or whatever it was, that's not bad. Especially considering Spam is about $4+ a can locally and nearly $3 a can on walmart's site. For a few pennies more, it's almost twice the meat and I like the taste better. Works out about the same price as DAK hams also.

I was paying $2 a can for their generic Spam. I'll still be stocking the generic Spam when they have it in stock, but I'm going also going to be getting more of this cheap corned beef.

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
Oh by the way bud, if you can get the sausage hash that is the way to go. Unfortunately it never goes on sale, neither does the roast beef hash my wife likes, so I mostly have the corned beef hash.

If you're interest in some way to perk it up here is a thread for you. Corned Beef Hash Upgrades

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,388 Posts

I like the hash because of the potatoes..1can and two eggs will feed two adults in a survival situation a good day start meal..Ill have to grok the corned beef only situation...Spam is proven to last 350 yrs (🤦‍♂️)so I like the long term side of it...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Better?? Maybe. Different, yes. I wouldn't throw either of them out of my pantry, and do buy both...although I prefer my corned beef fresh, I do buy it tinned as well.

(As an aside, I buy the gallon sized cans of corned beef hash [totally different customer than just corned beef] at Cash and Carry {Smart foods now, I guess} at a great price when they have their sales. Love the stuff, and it keeps well).

·
Jackpine Savage
4,006 Posts
I like the hash because of the potatoes..1can and two eggs will feed two adults in a survival situation a good day start meal..Ill have to grok the corned beef only situation...Spam is proven to last 350 yrs (🤦‍♂️)so I like the long term side of it...
In a survival situation I'll take that one can of corned beef and some rice or noodles and wander around my yard collecting dandilion greens, plantain and some of the other dozen edibles out there, chop those up and toss them in and feed a dozen.

It will come out cheaper my way and that's without eating eggs that I could sell or trade.

·
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tend to dislike the hash. It's greasy as hell and has very little meat. Especially considering the price. I figure I can make my own hash from corned beef and come out ahead both cost and taste wise. Though I do want to try the sausage hash. I haven't seen it in stores, but plan to grab a can out of curiosity if I run into it.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,066 Posts
Corned beef is delicious, when fried to within an inch of its life. I can't stand it fresh out of the can. I'd have to be really hard up to eat it uncooked.

Uncooked Spam, on the other hand, is tolerable with crackers or tortilla chips. It's made more palatable with pan-frying, the thinner the better, but never at its best does it measure up to pan-fried corned beef.

This means they both have their place, and a little diversity in the diet is a good thing, so we stock up on both.

·
67,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Corned beef is delicious, when fried to within an inch of its life. I can't stand it fresh out of the can. I'd have to be really hard up to eat it uncooked.

Uncooked Spam, on the other hand, is tolerable with crackers or tortilla chips. It's made more palatable with pan-frying, the thinner the better, but never at its best does it measure up to pan-fried corned beef.

This means they both have their place, and a little diversity in the diet is a good thing, so we stock up on both.
I'm finding it works well in nontraditional recipes that I might use in a SHTF situation. I've added it to pasta sauce in place of hamburger, used it with beans in place of ham, used it in soups, and tonight I'm trying it with a one pot "rice pilaf" type recipe that I make often.

I can think of a zillion ways to use it, pretty much like I use Spam now. I don't like either one of them straight, whether fried or not. But they're a great way of adding meat and flavor to otherwise boring dried survival foods. Since it has more meat per can, it might be a good choice for storing in limited space.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts