Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using canned hominy in my dutch oven enchiladas for a while now. i have had popcorn and added field corn to my LTS grains for corn meal and recently added some dried Nixtamalized corn; Posole to my LTS grains.
Link here to a dandy article talking about some of the differences;
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323789704578446810909012462

Anyone have good grits, hominy, masa, posole recipes that you'd like to share. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone buys the the whole Posole and grinds it to make Masa flour and having done this what would i have to add to the flour to make tortillas?

thanks in advance and i look forward to seeing some recipes!

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
At my house... plenty of bugs...
I've heard that the natives built corn cribs on stilts, and burned cedar boughs underneath to kill the problem insects...
Haven't tried it yet...
Another thing to build...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
2 other possibilities- Hominy grits and polenta. Protected by the anonymity of the internet, I will risk my residency by stating I'm not a fan of grits. Love polenta and hominy.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I have made hominy a few times just so I know how. When I finished a batch it just seemed like a natural to dry it. Then when I want to use some it takes some cooking to reconstitute it, but the ease of storing it dry is worth it.

When I was playing with hominy we discovered a recipe on the internet called ham and hominy. We love it, but we substitute cooked hamburger for ham and prefer it that way. We also just throw everything together now instead of fancy layering and it is like a very thick soup. In fact there is a pot of it in the frig now that I will be heating up for suppers for the rest of the week.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,887 Posts
How do you deal with insects?
So far we have never had any issue with insects.

I get grain from farmers, often before it has even visited the barn or silo. Once it is home it goes into drums.

Do insects need some level of moisture?

We had mold problems, that is why we shifted to using re-usable desiccant.

I change-out old desiccant with fresh desiccant every week, until it stops absorbing anymore moisture.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So far we have never had any issue with insects.

I get grain from farmers, often before it has even visited the barn or silo. Once it is home it goes into drums.

Do insects need some level of moisture?

We had mold problems, that is why we shifted to using re-usable desiccant.

I change-out old desiccant with fresh desiccant every week, until it stops absorbing anymore moisture.
Long term grain storage is pretty much a function of moisture, which is kinda a function of temperature and air movement.

Maybe you're right, your drums are dry enough that you haven't had insect issues. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts