Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Born to raze hell
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have corn stocked for making meal: What corn do you have stocked? Have you dried corn and then ground it? Some mills will not take popping corn, so I am not sure I want to store that or that only.

Thanks!

OVC

·
sic transit gloria mundi
858 Posts
A little confused by the question. Dried yellow corn (DYC) is not popcorn - different genetics. I just rehydrated some this weekend (not an easy or quick thing to do) and for all intents and purposes, it's hominy. I agree on the grinders, mine says DYC is ok but not popcorn.

·
homesteader
227 Posts
Any type of "dent" corn maked decent cornmeal, my personal favorite is the earth tones dent, it's nice and sweet. I grow it myself, let the ears mature and dry on the stalks. I hand shell it and store in buckets until I am ready to grind it for a meal. Make sure the kernels are dry dry dry or it will mold in your buckets.

·
homesteader
227 Posts
Hey Dilli, the weevils don't get in it that way? I wish I could do that, air circulation would so be so much better and i wouldn't have to wait so long to put it up for storage. Here, the coddling moths and the weevils would be all over the bags.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
For those who have corn stocked for making meal: What corn do you have stocked? Have you dried corn and then ground it? Some mills will not take popping corn, so I am not sure I want to store that or that only.

Thanks!

OVC
I've just been storing popcorn. It makes good corn meal and some of it already comes in buckets. What's left from grinding corn meal makes some tasty grits too.

Any type of "dent" corn maked decent cornmeal, my personal favorite is the earth tones dent, it's nice and sweet. I grow it myself, let the ears mature and dry on the stalks. I hand shell it and store in buckets until I am ready to grind it for a meal. Make sure the kernels are dry dry dry or it will mold in your buckets.
I grew earth tones for the first time this year and I was impressed with it too. It did better than the other varieties I've tried and it makes for a soft and tasty cornmeal. It may end up being my staple corn, but I'm going to keep experimenting just to make sure.

·
Born to raze hell
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I understand the leftovers from grinding makes good grits. I can't wait to try that! I have settled on the Country grain mill (not purchased yet), so I think popcorn would be ok for meal. Is DYC that which you've dried yourself or is that a breed of corn? We have DIYYC (dry it yourself yellow corn)!

OVC

·
homesteader
227 Posts
That's a very good option swamprat. I like to grind mine as I use it. That way if I need to, I can always use it for something else like animal feed if I need to. Plus, when shtf and I don't have enough electric to run a freezer, I'd have to do something else with it.

LOL Dilli, thank God for the gamma lid here! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.