Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Company Commander, Active Duty, Kuwait.
Just for the record for anyone that hasn't been:
Kuwait is NOT a hostile fire zone. It is where the REMFs go to hide from actual work but say they deployed. Nobody is shooting at you in Kuwait and the hardest decision you make is which fast food joint you will eat at today.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
The talk that set him off was on hand to hand weapons. We had hawk and long knives.
He said they were barbaric and If I was in his unit, I would have been out on a section 8.

We tired to tell him they were issued in Nam, then I got the dinosaur comment. That ended the conversion.

Opinions are like rectums, everyone has one, and they all stink.
(sorry ladies for the butt talk)

Brothers, if words hurt us, we would not be the soldiers we are today, after seeing and doing what we have.

I say again: FTW

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The talk that set him off was on hand to hand weapons. We had hawk and long knives.
He said they were barbaric and If I was in his unit, I would have been out on a section 8.

We tired to tell him they were issued in Nam, then I got the dinosaur comment. That ended the conversion.

Brothers, if words hurt us, we would not be the soldiers we are today, after seeing and doing what we have.

He's a piece of **** and I've called more than a few junior officers exactly that. The military has become a reflection of our society and there are some stooges in uniform and unfortunately, some of those stooges get leadership positions.

I have talked with every Vet I've seen and thanked them, especially our VN vets who've taken the brunt of wrongly-focused abuse from society; we owe them all a strong defense and let them know our gratification for paving the way to what we have been blessed with over these past 20 years of conflict.

I actually shed tears flying home for R&R from Iraq in the mid-2000's. Flew into DFW and travelers all stopped and applauded us and thanks us...many in the military have forgotten those dark days for veterans when it was the exact opposite.

Oh, I had a tomahawk and saw a few in both Iraq and Afghanistan in certain communities...if this young, undeserving Marine ever stepped foot in a combat zone and saw more than a fight in a long line at a REMF Green-Bean coffee shop, he may have a more experienced perspective.

There's hope. I'm now a contractor and ended up working for a young Major who use to work for me as a 2LT. He still calls me Sir even when I tell him not to and he still asks for my advice and mentorship...and he's a smart kid heading off this summer to get his PhD and will be a great senior leader in the Army.

Ignore the spot-light Ranger leaders who simply don't understand their military/service values. Those I know very much appreciate your service and sacrifices Trip Wire...as I've done more times than I can recall, first drink is one me brother:thumb:

ROCK6

·
I have control issues
5,896 Posts

Absolutely no offense taken at the "butt talk", TripWire. I wouldn't have put it so nicely. That guy was an ***hole, (and yes, they DO all stink!) and would have deserved it if you had popped him one in the mouth. I admire your restraint.

Father and father-in-law were WWII and Korea vets. I was too young for VN, (and missed the first Iraq bruhaha by having to get out when the babies started arriving) but our CollSup was a VN vet, and worked with several others. Son-in-law did 5 tours to the "sandbox" before being medically retired. I salute each and every one for what they've gone through and given in the service of our country. If others can't give them the same respect (that they not only deserve, but have earned), then eff 'em!)

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
One of the many things I feel remorse about in my life is when the sandbox began, I was at the point of retirement. I was going to reenlist for the sandbox. I was told I would be forced to go to FT Hood and be an instructor. I retired instead.

Took the meow way out

In the past 10 years Ive be nose to nose with a lot of Vets that were tired of deployments every other years. There was a 27 year old girl kilt herself to get out of another deployment. I was teaching her to reload, since no one seems to need my 50 years of knowledge. It was more than I could bare.

Now I am an armchair ranger. Maybe I can do some good here. If not, I will just go away.

and now you all know where I am coming from.

"The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath" Lead Zeppelin
(Battle of Evermore)

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,127 Posts

FTW
OBVIOUSLY He had never had someone at bad breath range trying to remove his presence from this tiny blue ball. At hand to hand if you had a truck in your hand you would try to swing it. I never had a hawk, but a good blade always has a place at a party. IT is just a difference in fighting styles and training preference.

Then when I was back in the "civilized world" working the street, HTH took on a whole different aspect in that the PTB actually wanted you to take them like Frank Buck... as in BRING EM BACK ALIVE..(wow am I dating myself there:D:)

·
American fearmaker
14,240 Posts
Paratroopers learn a lot of things going through Jump School. First off they learn that they have no God. Instead they have, "The Great Airborne" or, "The Great Paratrooper in the Sky." It is this deity that gives the humble paratrooper so many heartbeats and so many parachute jumps.

It is also this deity that defines what kind of violence a man of the silk parachute will see and face. Another way to think of it, it is fate that you will go through certain events and a certain amount and type of violence as you go through life. It is time that lets you move away from those acts and allows it to fade from your memory. Over the years, faces will fade away, the bitterness of a friend's death will gradually ease and as the pundits tell us, "Time heals all wounds." is close to being true. Actually, time reduces the pain of some memories by putting it own form of distance between you and the event.

Have patience. Things WILL get better in the long run. Trust me, by the time you hit 70 years old things will look so much better it will amaze you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry guys, I was PTSDing pretty hard last week. Decided to ride my bicycle and somebody came towards me in the oncoming lane because he had parked cars on his side and he didn't slow down at all and I almost took a car door pillar to the face. Then a bunch of teenagers decided they didn't like my shoes and wanted to give me grief (I wear aqua shoes/socks because they are comfortable to walk/run in for me). I've been hit and runned before as well as had people get out and try to assault me (didn't stop for them so they caught up in their car and tried to run me off the road) so I was literally unable to move for a few days or focus on anything because it just retriggered it all in me.

But yeah it just made me think, a lot of people discuss defending yourself or your property like it's nothing you just need guns/crossbows or whatever. But after the fact I want to be stocked up on alcohol real well so that when my hands are shaking from remembering it all I can cope with it better.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Paratroopers learn a lot of things going through Jump School. First off they learn that they have no God. Instead they have, "The Great Airborne" or, "The Great Paratrooper in the Sky." It is this deity that gives the humble paratrooper so many heartbeats and so many parachute jumps.

It is also this deity that defines what kind of violence a man of the silk parachute will see and face. Another way to think of it, it is fate that you will go through certain events and a certain amount and type of violence as you go through life. It is time that lets you move away from those acts and allows it to fade from your memory. Over the years, faces will fade away, the bitterness of a friend's death will gradually ease and as the pundits tell us, "Time heals all wounds." is close to being true. Actually, time reduces the pain of some memories by putting it own form of distance between you and the event.

Have patience. Things WILL get better in the long run. Trust me, by the time you hit 70 years old things will look so much better it will amaze you.
Well said.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,127 Posts
]

I LIVE in what is referred to as UP NORTH. Lots of hills, lots of 2 lane roads, and about 3 times a year some braindead decides that tying up the roads with a bicycle event is a really great idea on weekends.. in tourist season which is bad enough.
SO
you get in beside these inconsiderate buttheads who ride3 or 4 abreast so you can't just slide by in no passing areas which take up a lot of the roads because of the hills and curves, and they won't move over because "They pay their taxes" of course not for road use for what they are on causing traffic to jam up behind them.
Finally you get past them and they flip you off or yell at you for tailgating them...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe think more about the bolded words above and theoretically include yourself in that group, and go see a doctor and counselor.
What they said speaks more to paranoia, not sociopathy. As someone who is diagnosed with ASPD, therapy is pretty useless, and unless it's done via a court-order or such, then it's highly unlikely the OP would seek it out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry guys, I was PTSDing pretty hard last week. Decided to ride my bicycle and somebody came towards me in the oncoming lane because he had parked cars on his side and he didn't slow down at all and I almost took a car door pillar to the face. Then a bunch of teenagers decided they didn't like my shoes and wanted to give me grief (I wear aqua shoes/socks because they are comfortable to walk/run in for me). I've been hit and runned before as well as had people get out and try to assault me (didn't stop for them so they caught up in their car and tried to run me off the road) so I was literally unable to move for a few days or focus on anything because it just retriggered it all in me.

But yeah it just made me think, a lot of people discuss defending yourself or your property like it's nothing you just need guns/crossbows or whatever. But after the fact I want to be stocked up on alcohol real well so that when my hands are shaking from remembering it all I can cope with it better.
I have a host of mental disorders, PTSD being one of them, and I'll tell you that drinking is extremely counterproductive to help cope with it. You'll just wind up in trouble. If you're not seeing a psychologist, then do that ASAP and get on some medication. Much better alternative than hitting the bottle.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts