Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see this a lot anywhere on the internet, it's all how to defend yourself at the time. What about after when you realize people actually want to kill you and you lose all faith in humanity? When suddenly everybody looks like a threat so you want to take them out but you also feel guilty that you can't see anyone as a human being anymore. Ya know when you look at people smiling and you wish you could actually smile yourself anymore but all you can think is which one is the sociopath who is going to try and kill you next and you're already reaching to your hip and shaking. What do you when wake up in the middle of the night all the time and realize it was just the tap dripping and not somebody trying to kill you?

Legitimately, asking for a friend...

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
I don't see this a lot anywhere on the internet, it's all how to defend yourself at the time. What about after when you realize people actually want to kill you and you lose all faith in humanity? When suddenly everybody looks like a threat so you want to take them out but you also feel guilty that you can't see anyone as a human being anymore. Ya know when you look at people smiling and you wish you could actually smile yourself anymore but all you can think is which one is the sociopath who is going to try and kill you next and you're already reaching to your hip and shaking. What do you when wake up in the middle of the night all the time and realize it was just the tap dripping and not somebody trying to kill you?

Don't ask me. I never found a solution. I'm not even sure its a problem.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,513 Posts

I feel a lot like that whenever I am in a city and I have lived in at least a small city for half my life. But Aerindel, myself and a few others maybe shouldn't answer because seems like we don't like most people. I am not really afraid but it can be a concern, especially with so many it seems who don't value human life or will shoot too easily and that applies to more than just criminals.

I am not going to lose faith in all of humanity though. Such as with some I know and especially neighbors with cabins whom I have known many for at least 30 years off and on, mainly in the summer if we happen to meet on the private road. And if / when there ever is a bad SHTF or worse then neighbors will hopefully most likely Help each other and not cower in fear in their 'safe' places wherever that might be...

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,276 Posts

A DOUBLE edged sword.
IF you are talking about "normal world times" then you simply immerse yourself into more exposure to questionable people and realize that not everyone really wants to kill you.

I spent many years working an area where if they thought they could actually get away with it quite a few of the folks I was surrounded by would have tried to remove me from processing oxygen, but they didn't because they were concerned about the consequences.
also
even when in a seemingly hostile environment not everyone is really trying to kill you. The more exposure, the easier it becomes. The better the judge of people. Then again Where I worked I wasn't exactly an unknown person who would be considered an "easy target". Still, probably hundreds of folks after 20 years really hated me, but only a handful actually ever tried to do anything about it.
In your case of just getting more exposure, don't slink, look confident and you will get along fine.

As for after TSHTF then all bets are off. You have a plan to kill everyone who approaches but you don't execute it unless you need to. It is a judgement thing.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
The 'problem' I have is less thinking everyone wants to kill me....and more thinking everyone else is already dead and just doesn't know it yet.

But certainly every time I'm in a city I feel like I'm amongst a crowd of the hostile dead, who are neither alive...nor friendly. Physiologically, I guess the zombie apocalypse has already happened for me.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts

So the quick answer..."Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.":thumb:

For your friend....You have to learn to accept the inevitable. We are ALL on borrowed time, and no one gets out of this place alive.

Try to get to the point where you realize you can't keep it from happening no matter HOW hard you try nor HOW good you are, and then learn to relax bit. You can only do what you can do, and if that's not good enough...oh well.

Accept it, do what you can, fight the good fight, and enjoy every day as if it matters.

And fix the freaking tap.:cool:

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,513 Posts
The 'problem' I have is less thinking everyone wants to kill me....and more thinking everyone else is already dead and just doesn't know it yet.

But certainly every time I'm in a city I feel like I'm amongst a crowd of the hostile dead, who are neither alive...nor friendly. Physiologically, I guess the zombie apocalypse has already happened for me.
That is happening more and more for me also even here in this small city of Laramie, WY. I am at a cheap motel and I feel rich although I don't have a vehicle with me now; it is up on my land for the winter.

Many of the vehicles at this motel look beat up, some rust, one has half a bumper and another has a crushed hood. Two have expired license plates but still drive a couple times a week. A pickup truck outside my window has expired Montana license plates and I guess here in southern WY is as far south as he could make it for the winter.

And most people look sad, tired and I hate to say it but like zombies. Maybe they think something bad will happen or has already happened to them, most likely. I need to walk more with a limp to blend in more... :thumb:

·
Possum Lover
15,555 Posts
I don't think the average person is out to help me or even neutral. If someone comes up on me I see them as a threat.

And I am a woman.

Do I want to harm them? No, but I will defend myself. It is not a popular view but I also see mothers with sick children as a threat, especially these days, and will take evasive action.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Katrina proved women are pawns or property during lawless times.

I lost all hope of humanity when I went to southeast Asia when I was 18 years old.
I have softened in 50 years, when push comes to shove. I will be forced to go back on the jazz, and be an earth pig again.

I pray each and every night this never happens. Not for me, I NEVER want my wife, daughter, or grand daughter to see what I cam capable of.

I am slipping into PTSD, and it is not a place I want to be. This is a place where reaction trumps common sense. Once you travel down that path, you never come back.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,170 Posts
Katrina proved women are pawns or property during lawless times.

I lost all hope of humanity when I went to southeast Asia when I was 18 years old.
I have softened in 50 years, when push comes to shove. I will be forced to go back on the jazz, and be an earth pig again.

I pray each and every night this never happens. Not for me, I NEVER want my wife, daughter, or grand daughter to see what I cam capable of.

I am slipping into PTSD, and it is not a place I want to be. This is a place where reaction trumps common sense. Once you travel down that path, you never come back.

My war was 30 years after yours but know right where you're coming from. I don't want my family to see what mankind is capable of, not just me but all of it. You know the thing I feel most guilty about is the welcome homes I got compared to what ya'll got. If I could trade I would. I can't sleep tonight but am raising a glass to you and saying thanks.

·
Learner/Tradesman
65 Posts

Maybe think more about the bolded words above and theoretically include yourself in that group, and go see a doctor and counselor.

·
Indefatigable
19,906 Posts
What your, uh hm, friend is experiencing are paranoid delusions.
Lots of causes from drinking, not drinking, doing drugs, not doing the right drugs, hormonal imbalance, lingering effects of a concussion, brain tumor...

Stop the internet consultations and take your friend to a Dr ASAP

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,276 Posts
DOGS RELIEVE a lot of the stress of going to sleep at night.

REALLY BIG DOGs REALLY help make going to sleep easy.. unless they are crowding too much cover or decide yo use your legs/feet as a pillow.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Remember, this world is the same exact world we were born into. Society has changed and so has our response to it. Population pressure and tribalism caused by our exposure to social media, especially the latter, have modified our world view and view of ourselves and others. Turn off the tablet/laptop/PC/phone/TV and get away into nature, away from others that you share no connection with. It is late Winter and cabin fever gets the best of many. Take a meal and thermos of hot beverage, along with plenty of water, proper clothing and your EDC and get outta Dodge for several hours, a day or more. This won't fix everything but it will give you a chance to clear your head, gain some perspective and rebalance yourself. This is just for short-term maintenance, if you are seriously concerned about your longer-term well being, consider seeking professional help. Remember, we all leave with what we arrived with. May God bless you.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Tell your “friend” to see a shrink.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
My war was 30 years after yours but know right where you're coming from. I don't want my family to see what mankind is capable of, not just me but all of it. You know the thing I feel most guilty about is the welcome homes I got compared to what ya'll got. If I could trade I would. I can't sleep tonight but am raising a glass to you and saying thanks.
Brother, sticks and stones.... My welcome home was spit and hatred.
It made me stronger.

A few years ago I had an active duty Marine call me a "dope smoking, baby killing dinosaur" For us it will never change.

You youngsters have the same jones, you just have more peeps to share with.

What helped me was my WWII dad and his buddies. There were no groups or help for the greatest generation. They pulled themselves up by their own boot straps.
The ole man and 3 of his jarhead close friends would get together 2 a year and just talk and cry. I got to open their beers and test them for poison ;-).
When it was my turn, I went into hibernation for years. I stayed drunk for 15 years. When I figured out it was killing me, I stopped. He I am today, still shaking in my boots, yet still wearing them proudly.

We did nothing wrong except come back to the world where no one was ready for us. FTW

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Brother, sticks and stones.... My welcome home was spit and hatred.

It made me stronger.

A few years ago I had an active duty Marine call me a "dope smoking, baby killing dinosaur" For us it will never change.

You youngsters have the same jones, you just have more peeps to share with.

What helped me was my WWII dad and his buddies. There were no groups or help for the greatest generation. They pulled themselves up by their own boot straps.

The ole man and 3 of his jarhead close friends would get together 2 a year and just talk and cry. I got to open their beers and test them for poison ;-).

When it was my turn, I went into hibernation for years. I stayed drunk for 15 years. When I figured out it was killing me, I stopped. He I am today, still shaking in my boots, yet still wearing them proudly.

We did nothing wrong except come back to the world where no one was ready for us. FTW
That Marine must have been a POG with no deployments and a leftist.

Disgraceful.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I don't really know what the problem is with society in general except , most folks try very hard to stick their nose in other peoples business. I just run my hounds which I just got back from , 2 den trees and the dogs treed a young bobcat let him walk , work around the farm and most importantly mind my own business. JMHO and S/FI!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts