Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
To me, this only illustrates how a cop will react to a citizen who knows better, and it's not necessarily an indication of a good cop/bad cop scenario.

One is obligated to know as much of the law as they possibly can, and sometimes you have to remind a police officer of the law in order not to be taken advantage of. I guarantee you this had the possibility of turning out totally differently if the citizen had not taken a stand and asserted his rights. Then again, it could've just been a good cop, I've known one or two. (*counts on one hand)

I'm willing to bet, if put in the role of the Canton incident, the occifer in this video would've reacted in the same manner as he did here. But the Canton occifer, if put in this scenario, would've given more respect to the man with the camera. Just a hunch.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
Armed with a club. An unloaded gun is worthless as a firearm.

I work with law enforcement officers on a very regular basis and I know for a fact they are human beings - just like us - there are good and bad.

The vast majority work the job they work because they really DO want to make a positive and constructive difference in their communities. On a DAILY BASIS they live with the realization that should the shooting start, while we are running away, they are duty bound to run to the gunfire.

With that said . . . . I'd probably better shut up. I am definitively pro-LEO.:cool:

·
A Way of Life
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah BillyJack that video has been shown. I think the thread title is one good cop or something like that....
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=181060
Thanks, Poco. I'm bedridden with a bad back and jacked up on painkilers at the moment, so I was too lazy to check.

As someone who carries, I don't understand people who go out specifically to "make a point" using a gun and a video camera. Someone filming a cop harassing another citizen is one thing. Baiting an officer with an gun and a camera is another.

Carrying comes with it a huge responsibility, and I'm not sure making a point with cops is part of that responsibility. Having said that, I respect the man's right to do it.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Thanks, Poco. I'm bedridden with a bad back and jacked up on painkilers at the moment, so I was too lazy to check.

As someone who carries, I don't understand people who go out specifically to "make a point" using a gun and a video camera. Someone filming a cop harassing another citizen is one thing. Baiting an officer with an gun and a camera is another.

Carrying comes with it a huge responsibility, and I'm not sure making a point with cops is part of that responsibility. Having said that, I respect the man's right to do it.
No problem Billy. I hope you heal well and soon!

Unfortunately I can see both sides. The reason to "Flaunt"and video, and the reason to remain unobtrusive when carrying.

In a sense those that "Flaunt" the carry and video are helping to insure our ability to retain these rights. If it is ever commonly accepted to just assume that all that carry are criminals then it's only a matter of time before that IS the actual fact. It will be fact because that will be the accepted practice, which will set the precedent. Once THAT happens the 2nd Amendment is lost.

By remaining unobtrusive in carrying it reassures those that are unreasonably afraid, which ALSO helps retain our rights. It helps because once enough become afraid then laws will be changed and again the 2nd Amendment will then be lost.

It is a precarious road we travel in retaining our rights from the fearful and uninformed populace. I must say that I am very much afraid for both of our first two Amendments. I am honestly torn between which is the correct course for us to retain these. Either we bullheadedly fight for them, or just reassure the populace with unobtrusive practice of these Inalienable rights that we have been granted.

·
Anti-Federalist
221 Posts
Armed with a club. An unloaded gun is worthless as a firearm.

I work with law enforcement officers on a very regular basis and I know for a fact they are human beings - just like us - there are good and bad.

The vast majority work the job they work because they really DO want to make a positive and constructive difference in their communities. On a DAILY BASIS they live with the realization that should the shooting start, while we are running away, they are duty bound to run to the gunfire.

With that said . . . . I'd probably better shut up. I am definitively pro-LEO.:cool:
perhaps duty bound, but not legally bound.

"...fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen."

Warren v. District of Columbia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts