Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I deal in lead
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally muscled up and built the hilton of chicken coops. Im a total rookie and have been reading alot on the subject and need to know what kind of chickens would a first timer be suited to. I wana start out with three and work my way up. Im looking for EGGS AND MEAT!!! So a dual chicken would be nice. Keep it basic please...thanx

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
There are several on-line sites on chicken rearing.

I dont know much about the birds except I enjoy my eggs over easy, and the bird fried.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Backyardchickens is the way to go, a lot of information on their. Stick to rhode island reds or barred rocks as they are good dual purpose birds and adapt easy to coops. Warning though next year you will be buying other breeds like we did lol. Just make sure you get a breed that will survive the Colorado winter. Good luck

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Gotta agree with what oif1man said about the RIR's and PBR's. I have kept several breeds off and on through out the years and both off those dual purpose breeds do well in my book. You will have to feed your fryers out a couple of weeks longer and they arent going to be quiet as "festively Plump" as what you find in the store but they are quiet satisfactroy none the less. Neither of these breeds are quiet as productive at egg laying as the Leghorns are but they are hot on their heels in that regard. I think either of those two breeds will serve you well enough.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
We've only been raising chickens for 2 years now. I went with Buff Orpingtons cuz the book I read siad they were a good dual purpose bird.

My nephew got 25 Emerald Sexlinks for free as a 4-H project. he only needed 6 to show at the fair & gave me the other 19. They are a equal to the buffs in size/egg production but, seem to be physically stronger. No complaints with the Buffs though

We reciently got 15 Austra Whites which are said to be a more prolific egg layer. At the momment they're only half grown & we aren't getting any chicken fruit yet, to compare egg laying rates.

**Side note**
My chicken house & run is enclosed from top to bottom & I haven't lost a bird to predators yet. I even dug a 12 inch trench around the parimeter & burried chicken wire to keep coyotees from digging under.

We let them out to forrage each day about 2 or 3 hours before sun down. They go back inside on their own at dusk. My dog got 3 of them before I found him a new home. I tried a shock collar to train him but, he only learned to take a bird when I wasn't watching.

backyardchickens.com is priceless!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Gotta agree with what oif1man said about the RIR's and PBR's. I have kept several breeds off and on through out the years and both off those dual purpose breeds do well in my book. You will have to feed your fryers out a couple of weeks longer and they arent going to be quiet as "festively Plump" as what you find in the store but they are quiet satisfactroy none the less. Neither of these breeds are quiet as productive at egg laying as the Leghorns are but they are hot on their heels in that regard. I think either of those two breeds will serve you well enough.
In you experience how do Buffs & Sexlinks compare to RIRs & PBRs? I have ZERO compliants with what I have but, if something is better..... :)

I deffinately consider myself a newbie.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I preferential to Barred Rocks as dual purpose. I also have rhode reds, buff orp, production reds, leghorns, banties.

But my barred rocks are the plumpest and the best egg layers. They're also social and look nice, very clean, cold hardy, good brooders and not aggressive. We often get double yokes and more than 1 egg a day from several of them regularly. They do molt in the winter but usually only a week or 2.

ETA: I've also never had a sick barred rock. The others there's always some problem or other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts