Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this most wonderful squash at the farmer's market in my town the other day. This is only an internet pic of the kind of squash it is:

http://www.learn2grow.com/projects/edibles/decoration/heirloompumpkins.aspx

It's the warty looking one second down the page.

I'm planning on cooking up a massive pot of squash soup with it. Can't wait to try it. But I wanted to get some pics before I cooked it since it's so unique. I really need a digital camera. :upsidedown:

I'm also going to save seeds from it and grow it in my garden next year. That should be very fun. :D:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
What an usual pumpkin. Thanks for pointing it out. I might give it a try in the garden next year, not only for eating, but for decoration. I grew a bunch of decorative gourds this year. Many were warty like that and totally gorgeous as decor.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
We grew sugar pumpkins, butternut squash and zucchini this year and are loving it. The great thing about the pumpkins and winter type squash (not zucchini) is they keep for months in a cool place - a natural longer term storage food in it's own container.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, zucchini. The vegie that keeps on giving.... and giving....and giving....and...

Until your neighbors hide when they see you coming with another load of zucchini to give them. Until you are so sick of zucchini in every shape, size and recipe (zucchini bread, zucchini cookies, stuffed zucchini, deep fried zucchini, zucchini chips, zucchini stir fry,....until you feel like Forrest Gump's friend Bubba and his shrimpin').

Nip them in the bud and try stuffed, tempura'd squash blossoms. That way you at least don't have zucchini coming out your ears. :eek:

·
68,758 Posts
Lol, zucchini. The vegie that keeps on giving.... and giving....and giving....and...

Until your neighbors hide when they see you coming with another load of zucchini to give them. Until you are so sick of zucchini in every shape, size and recipe (zucchini bread, zucchini cookies, stuffed zucchini, deep fried zucchini, zucchini chips, zucchini stir fry,....until you feel like Forrest Gump's friend Bubba and his shrimpin').

Nip them in the bud and try stuffed, tempura'd squash blossoms. That way you at least don't have zucchini coming out your ears. :eek:
Cuccuzi is like that too. I learned the hard way this summer. I have a freezer full and bags of dehydrated slices. It sure grills nice though, so my friends who have discovered that aren't running away as fast as they used to.

·
68,758 Posts
I just recieved a seed shipment and we ordered some spaghetti squash, I've never had it before but I've heard it's quite tasty.

Do you use it just like spaghetti?
You can, but it has a different texture. Sorta crunchy. Has a wonderful taste though and you will find yourself creating recipes with it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cooking up my squash soup today. I've got the squash cut up and roasting in the oven. I'm going to make it a curry squash soup using a freshly ground curry powder that I'm making myself.

You can't go into survival mode without a good curry, imo. And making the powder from scratch makes the taste so much better.

That's something I just thought of. Once your spice powders run out, growing the plants to make more spices makes sense. A lot of spices are seeds that are ground up. So include seeds for those plants in your seed cache. And learn to save seeds.

Also, I've never had spaghetti squash but have been interested in growing it for a while now. Garden is going in next year so I'm already saving seed. The seed from this warty squash I have drying right now. But the plants can take up 20 feet of your garden space. :eek: Gonna try to trellis them along with any other winter squash I grow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, here's the result of my squash soup endeavor.

I cut the squash into 5 pieces (22 lbs worth of squash). I roasted it in 3 batches for about 1 1/2 hours each batch. Then I scraped out the meat and held it until I was ready for it.

I got out my big stock pot and poured 2 quarts of chicken broth into it. I added the squash and started cooking it. I chopped several small onions and about 6 cloves of garlic and sauteed them in olive oil. Then I added it to the soup.

I had gotten the ingredients for the curry powder earlier that day. I measured them out and ground them up in a coffee grinder I keep for spices. I added 2 tbs of the curry to the soup.

Once I was sure the squash was cooked enough I ran it through my blender to puree it. I had to do it in 7 or 8 runs through the blender to get it all. I had a ton of soup. Once it was all nicely pureed I added a pint of whipping cream and salt and peppered to taste.

It came out perfectly marvelous. A beautiful bright orange soup with a tiny bit of a bite from the curry. Add a dolop of unsweetened yogurt or creme fraiche to top it off. Wonderful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts