Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
581 - 600 of 1107 Posts

·
Stop YOLOing
3,363 Posts
Almost none of this stuff is real world actionable unfortunetly.The best your gunna get is burrying things in your territory.
Why do you say that?

I see a lot of this kind of naysaying on SB.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Built my workbench with a secret hiding spot under the bottom shelf, once you move the took bags ofcourse. Hide a fire safe, my AR, ammo and extra stuff I dont have in my BOB anymore. All without anyone knowing. Hinged in the back and covered with remnant carpet so you cant see that it wasnt screwed into place.

Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 ·

First let me start off by thanking you for sharing these great videos. I am completely in love with the Roentgen Berlin Secretary Cabinet. It is truly a piece of art. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is second to none. What creativity! It is truly a testament to man's and woman's ingenuity. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im not saying it cant be done. They're good ideas from now'a'days. but secret cabnets and double furnace's are in houses. Houses wont last very long when people are panicing in the streats and looting.People will start fires in liveing rooms and crap to stay warm and cook with and the house goes up in smoke.Not to mention people see you comming and going out of the same house all the time thay're going to kill you or worse to find out what you have hidden.im not naysaying,i just dont want people to see some cool idea online and think that its going to keep they're guns and food hidden when all hell breaks loose.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,363 Posts
I understand what you're saying...but until that mythical day when our streets look like the apocalyptic internet scenarios folks make up on this website, and folks start randomly rioting nonstop instead of doing what has happened in most every other civilization in history that has experienced something like this, these are good ideas.

As long as our SHTF looks roughly like every other historical example we have to draw from, these ideas will be helpful for a lot of folks.

I'm not trying to be rude, but think about it. What you're saying is that you know what SHTF will look like, and since these ideas don't match your scenario, they won't be useful when SHTF. Consider...
- Rioting/looting/burning takes energy. Energy takes food. When food gets scarce, people will stop rioting/looting/burning. Look at history...riots (even food riots) are short-lived and they don't destroy all the structures around. If a riot happens to be near your house, they're more likely to knock over your safe than they are to open the back of your dresser. That's where one of these projects would be a good option. (And especially good against the FAR more likely simple burglary before SHTF.)
- Of course there will be accidents where folks burn their houses down, and of course most of these projects aren't fireproof. But just because it happens in a few places doesn't mean every house will burn. Just playing the odds, drawing from evidence in history rather than made-up internet scenarios...my house isn't going to burn, so having one of these projects may be helpful in case I get robbed.

I could go on. The point is that there's no single perfect solution that will cover everyone's pet scenario. ("You have a rock-solid concrete bunker with 7 years worth of food? Well, what if they have 7.1 years and just wait you out? And it won't withstand a meteor strike anyway, so I don't even know why you're doing it.") But these will be useful in a lot of (more likely) scenarios than full-on Armageddon, so they're worth considering, IMO.

And if someone else doesn't want to consider them, this is the internet...I'm sure there are thousands of other threads more interesting for them to spend their time on.

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #589 ·
Im not saying it cant be done. They're good ideas from now'a'days. but secret cabnets and double furnace's are in houses. Houses wont last very long when people are panicing in the streats and looting.People will start fires in liveing rooms and crap to stay warm and cook with and the house goes up in smoke.Not to mention people see you comming and going out of the same house all the time thay're going to kill you or worse to find out what you have hidden.im not naysaying,i just dont want people to see some cool idea online and think that its going to keep they're guns and food hidden when all hell breaks loose.
Apparently, you didn't see the whole listing. There are ideas that can be applied outside the home: hollowed out trees, fake rocks, buried or abandoned storage containers, sandboxes, dog house, exterior walls, things that can be done to a car or truck etc etc......etc. It is up to you to twist these ideas into what you need. Be creative. :thumb:

P.S.
If you think this is all that is available you are dreaming! We are only limited by our imagination and the amount of money we have on hand to do it :upsidedown::D:.

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #591 ·
Here are some good hiding spots for the kids or your valuables. Some are available ready made and some you will have to make.

This is a kitchen cabinet with a pop out bottom drawer.

Most criminals would avoid going through your trash to look for valuables hence it would make a great hiding spot. The smellier or dirtier the better. Even the diaper bin would be a great hiding spot for your valuables.

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
Apartments are small and expensive in Hong Kong, so architect Gary Chang designed his 344 square foot unit to change into 24 different designs, just by sliding walls and panels around. He even calls it a "Domestic Transformer."

"It's a big problem," Mr. Chang said. "Killing each other is not uncommon."

"People feel trapped," he said. "We have to find ways to live together in very small spaces."

In Mr. Chang's solution, a kind of human-size briefcase, everything can be folded away so that the space feels expansive, like a yoga studio.

The wall units, which are suspended from steel tracks bolted into the ceiling, seem to float an inch above the reflective black granite floor. As they are shifted around, the apartment becomes all manner of spaces — kitchen, library, laundry room, dressing room, a lounge with a hammock, an enclosed dining area and a wet bar.

Imagine the possibilities for creative storage ;-)

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
This would make a great bugout vehicle in case gas became scarce and you had to move a ton of your survival gear to a safer location.

The cool thing about this ideas is that it uses a standard mountain bicycle. The rear hitch wouldn't be impossible to fabricate. Even the trailer could be made using items you could find at home depot.

Here is an interesting article that shows several different types of bike trailers. http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/bicycle-cargo-chapter-2-bike-trailers.html

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
Do you have an empty fish tank? Are you still looking for a good place to store your gold coins? Are you afraid someone will steal your pot of gold before you can cash them in? Well I might have the solution for what ails you.
Put you gold in this:

What thief in their right mind would bother searching a fish tank? None.

Now add these guys to the tank:

They are the pitbulls of the aquarium.

Here is a certified believer that no one will bother putting their hands in your tank.

Ouch.............

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This would make a great bugout vehicle in case gas became scarce and you had to move a ton of your survival gear to a safer location.

The cool thing about this ideas is that it uses a standard mountain bicycle. The rear hitch wouldn't be impossible to fabricate. Even the trailer could be made using items you could find at home depot.

Here is an interesting article that shows several different types of bike trailers. http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/bicycle-cargo-chapter-2-bike-trailers.html
At first I thought the trailer was made with an aluminum ladder, with wheels added. I guess a ladder could be used, with some plywood cut to size to lay over the rungs to keep things from falling through.

581 - 600 of 1107 Posts